Student protest and the siege of Mill Bank Tower

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

stu_wat

Student protest and the siege of Mill Bank Tower

Post by stu_wat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Was watching the events fold yesterday, and it got me thinking about how little we can depend on the police.

The Police had no control yesterday and at one point it looked like at one point that the students had won.

So in light of this what do you think the police could have done better and more importantly what would you do if you were caught up in the middle of the events.

K9medic

Re: Student protest and the siege of Mill Bank Tower

Post by K9medic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Been in a few “protest marches” when I was younger. The best advice I could give would keep to the edges of the crowd and work your way out.

It’s relatively easy to tell when a crowd is turning ugly, watch for the “agitators” whipping the crowd up, people putting masks on and hoods up. That’s your time to be some were else.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:45 am

They should have had riot police guarding Millbank centre.

I have also been on protests that turned violent. Just bug the fuck out ;)

What pisses me off is the students trying to KILL people:
http://order-order.com/2010/11/11/1000- ... sher-thug/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I couldn't care less about the property damage; yes idiots; yes fine them but no one was injured from the idiots kicking glass in. Someone was nearly killed by a twat throwing a fire extinguisher off the roof. I hope the culprit is brought to harsh justice. Attempted murder is no laughing matter.
Man is a beast of prey

Angry Sapper
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, but not 28 weeks.

More of a reader than a watcher.
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland. Where the best chippie in the world is.

Post by Angry Sapper » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:03 am

To be critical of the police in this situation is a bit harsh.

If the regional support group was in attendance, guarding the Tory HQ then you can be certain they would have been slated for over reaction and winding up the protesters.

The plod did underestimate the threat and were caught with their arses in their hands, and I expect heads will roll for it.

As for anyone caught for violent behaviour or vandalism they should have the book thrown at them, then be kicked out of university or at least denied a grant.

The little shits should learn that democracy has its cost.
Follow the Sapper, we're the ones with the explosives, and usually have the best bar set up before anyone else gets here.

absw

Post by absw » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:34 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11747571
A 23-year-old Cambridge student has been arrested after a fire extinguisher was thrown from a roof in central London when a protest turned violent.

The man, who comes from Reading and studies at Anglia Ruskin University, is being questioned in Cambridgeshire on suspicion of violent disorder.

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”