Close Protection - anyone here do it/done it?

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Big and Daft

Close Protection - anyone here do it/done it?

Post by Big and Daft » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:10 pm

I'm bored with my current job (the company I work for is in receivership, so i'll be losing my job soon anyway) and hate doing what I do now - working in a tile shop. I've been thinking of doing the CP course for a while, but now I have the cash saved up and i'm pretty much set to do it.

So has anyone on here done this and if so what would I expect? Are there jobs available? Anything else?

Thanks.

K9medic

Re: Close Protection - anyone here do it/done it?

Post by K9medic » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:43 pm

I used to be in that game, things have changed since I “retired”. But I still have a few friends in the field.

If your set as a career in CP work I can point you in the direction of a few good training companies. You could also try CPW forum http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/forums.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you join tell them that K9medic sent you.

As for work, most of it’s by word of mouth and to be honest it’s not that well paid these days. If you’re working the UK expect £10 > £15 per hour.

Unless you’re ex mil the chances of getting work in high risk areas such as Afghanistan or Iraq are slim to none existent. Though to be honest those areas seem to drying up these days.

Not sure what the work at Olympics will be like, rumour has it their intending to give kids on the uniformed service course five days training and a bib, waive the need for a SIA badge and let them cover the venue. Though there would probably be jobs looking after celebrates who are visiting.

As what to expect ? Well as I remember it was long (12 hour) boring shifts staging on hotel doors or gates of posh houses. Think bog standard security work but in a suit, booking in cars and visitors.

Once the bodyguard (he’s the boss who stands next to the principle) trust you, you get to take the kids to school or cover the wives shopping trips and my personal favourite walk the family’s pet dog. It’s like all jobs you start at the bottom and earn your name.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Thank you very much K9medic, just what I wanted. I signed up to CP World a while back, but I've only just started looking properly.

£10-£15 per hour is better than what I'm making now and I've read that if your going to need a rifle where your working you need to have at least a few years of military service, which is both sensible and reassuring.

So far your description makes it sound decent, but dull. Dull I can cope with as its still a much more interesting job than 99% of other jobs out there.

Cheers for the insight, I'll throw a post up on CP World and ask some more questions.

Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Svothe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:02 pm

One of the guys from my local airsoft site is actually a Close Protection chap and wrote up a log of his time on the course heres a link, real good read.

EDIT: Can't seem to find it and have to go out, but I will try and dig it up later tonight.

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”