good read

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

K9medic

good read

Post by K9medic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:45 am

If anyone is looking for a good read I have just picked up a copy of “Jungle Soldier” by Brian Moynahan in WH Smiths. It is a Biography of F Spencer Chapman.

I first discovered F Spencer Chapman when I read Chapman’s accounts of his time behind Japanese lines in Malaya. If anyone would like to know how to survive for three years behind enemy lines read his book “the Jungle is Neutral”. Both Field Marshal Wavell and Lord Mountbatten thought Chapman was the equal of Lawrence.

I haven’t finish “Jungle Soldier” yet, at the moment it’s still detailing his polar explorations pre-war, but it’s a very interesting read about survival in extreme conditions. On the strength of the first 2 chapters I would recommend this book to anyone.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

mattltm

Re: good read

Post by mattltm » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Sounds good. I have just finished "Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain" and was looking for my next book.
"Spooky action at a distance."

man_of_tanith
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later
Dead Set-not a movie but damn good tv series

Post by man_of_tanith » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:19 pm

i bought this on the recommendation on another forum
it is an absolutely fascinating read and would secong the recommendation
Only the wilderness is pure truth

TC

Post by TC » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:35 am

Don't mean to threadjack, but on the subject of WWII jungle survival and evasion, I highly recommend Through the Jungle of Death: A Boy's Escape from Wartime Burma. It's an incredible account of one young boy's escape from Burma to India with his family in 1941 and is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Not only does it make for one of the most thrilling stories I've read, it's also 100% true, which makes it even more amazing.

If anyone's interested in the 1941 retreat from Burma I have a lot of other books and websites I can recommend too.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi TC long time no see,

Only picked this book up because F Spencer Chapman is a bit of a hero of mine.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”