Whitehaven shooting

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

TC

Whitehaven shooting

Post by TC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:13 am

Don't much like the look of this:
BBC wrote: One person killed in Whitehaven shooting

One person has been killed in a shooting in Whitehaven, Cumbria.

Armed police are attempting to apprehend a man after gunshots were fired, and ambulance crews said several other people were injured.

The shooting is understood to have taken place in Duke Street at 1035 BST.

Members of the public in Whitehaven and Egremont have been urged to stay indoors until further notice.

Police are looking for a dark grey or silver Citroen Picasso car. A male driver may have been involved.
ETA:
BBC wrote: Several dead in Cumbria shootings

Several people have been killed after gunman opened fire in several areas of west Cumbria.

Cumbria Police said the suspect, who fired shots in Whitehaven, Seascale and Egremont, is believed to be heading towards the central Lakes area.

The registration number of the car police are looking for is ND55 ZFC.

A force spokesman said officers are working to establish the identities of those killed and wounded in the incident.

Police were initially called after shots were fired in Duke Street, Whitehaven, at 1035 BST.

People in Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale areas have been urged to stay indoors until further notice.

Detectives have issued an urgent plea for help in tracing a shaven-headed man in a dark grey or silver Citroen Picasso.

A force spokesman said: "Police working to apprehend a man in connection with shots fired in Whitehaven have extended their search to the Seascale area so we're urging all members of the public in the Seascale are to go indoors and stay there until further notice.

"Anyone in the West Lakes area from Whitehaven to Ravenglass are also being urged to shelter."
Apparently the suspect is a 52 year old man called Derrick Bird, according to BBC News 24.

ETA:
The Times wrote: 'Several people' shot dead in drive-by attacks in Cumbria

Several people have been shot dead and a number of others injured in a series of shootings from a moving car in the Whitehaven area of Cumbria.

Police said they were dealing with “a number of fatalities” along a 15-mile stretch of the Cumbrian coast, and a police source told The Times: “It appears that he is driving along shooting at people.”

Reports were emerging that one man had been arrested but residents of the West Lakes area from Whitehaven to Ravenglass are still being warned to stay inside.

Locals called police at 10:35am after shots were fired into a car by a man on Duke Street in a busy shopping area of Whitehaven. Police now say there has been a series of shootings in Whitehall, Seascale and Egremont. A police spokesman said: “We do not know how many people have been killed or injured at the moment, we are working with the ambulance service to get all the information.”

Police said they were looking for a Citroen with the registration number ND55 ZFC and a man in his thirties with a shaved head, and asked anyone seeing the vehicle to call 999 immediately.

One witness, Alex Hannah, 68, of Great Broughton, said had heard a loud bang as he drove out of Church Street, turning right into Duke Street in Whitehaven.

“As I turned right I saw people standing around the taxi rank looking stunned. As I turned past the police station I saw all these officers running out and realised something was major going on so I moved over to the right-hand lane. Then a car pulled up on the left, stopping at the lights,” he said.

“I saw a man with a large shotgun and his windscreen was smashed. I drove through the red light to get into Lowther Street and get out of the way. I got home safely but was very shaken.”

Helen Owens, who works at solicitors’ practice Brockbank, Cain and Hall on Duke Street in Whitehaven, said one of her colleagues saw a dead man on the street.

She said: “We heard a couple of gunshots and the police running about.

“One of our secretaries was out at the time and she saw a guy lying dead on the ground covered with a sheet - she saw his trainers sticking out.

“There’s police tape across it so we can’t see exactly what happened but saw a policeman running across the street.

“We have also heard there was another shooting at Morrisons car park, which is about five minutes away. “We have the door locked.”

A Cumbria police spokeswoman said: “Police working to apprehend a man in connection with shots fired in Whitehaven have extended their search to the Seascale area so we are urging all members of the public in the Seascale are to go indoors and stay there until further notice.

“Anyone in the West Lakes area from Whitehaven to Ravenglass are also being urged to shelter.

“Police are searching for a dark grey/silver Citroen Picasso driven by a man in his thirties with a shaven head believed to be involved. If anyone sees this car, or anyone matching this description or any suspicious individuals we would ask them not to approach but call the police immediately on 999.”
ETA:
BBC wrote: Gunman kills several in west Cumbria

Several people have been killed and others injured after a gunman opened fire in several areas of west Cumbria.

Police are searching for the suspect, named as Derrick Bird, after shots were fired in Whitehaven, Seascale and Egremont.

He is believed to be heading towards the central Lakes area in a car with the registration ND55 ZFC.

A force spokesman said officers are working to establish the identities of those killed and wounded.

Police were initially called after shots were fired in Duke Street, Whitehaven, at 1035 BST.

People living across central and west Cumbria are being urged to stay indoors and drivers are being warned not to pick up hitchhikers in case the suspect is on foot.

A force spokesman said: "He was last seen heading south in the Central Lakes direction.

"He may have abandoned the car and be proceeding on foot. Armed police are currently working to apprehend him and advising members of the public in West and Central Lakes areas to go indoors and stay there until further notice."
Sky News wrote: Hunt For Gunman After Number Confirmed Dead

...Witness Alan Hannah described how he fled out of Whitehaven after he saw the gunman leaning out of a car window.

"I was waiting at a red light and looked around the corner. I saw a man with a shotgun at the windown which had been shattered.

"It looked like quite a big shotgun. I just went through the red light and got the hell out of Whitehaven."

Members of the public in the area have been asked to stay indoors until further notice while officers hunt the gunman, Cumbria Police said...
BBC is saying that the suspect has abandoned his vehicle and is moving on foot. Not good at all...

ETA:
The Times wrote: Police identify man wanted over drive-by shootings in Cumbria

Police have issued the identity of a man they are hunting in connection with a series of fatal shootings from a moving car in West Cumbria this morning. Up to four people are believed to have died.

Officers said they are looking for Derrick Bird, 52, of Rowrah near Frizington. Shortly after 1pm they issued a statement saying that Mr Bird had abandoned his car in the Boot area and was believed to be travelling by foot.

"Police who are in pursuit of him are urging members of the public in the Boot area to shelter indoors until further notice," the statement read.

"Officers are also asking walkers and tourists in that area to be vigilant, take extra care and head indoors if at all possible. If any members of the public see Derrick Bird, please do not approach him and contact them immediately on 999."

After an initial report of a shooting a taxi rank in the seaside town of Whitehaven, police said they were dealing with “a number of fatalities” along a 15-mile stretch of the Cumbrian coast, and a police source told The Times earlier: “It appears that he is driving along shooting at people.”

He was reportedly last seen heading south in the Central Lakes direction.

"Armed police are currently working to apprehend him and advising members of the public in West and Central Lakes areas to go indoors and stay there until further notice," said Cumbria Police.

It is understood that Mr Bird had been driving a Citroen Picasso car with the registration number ND55 ZFC. Police had asked anyone seeing the vehicle to call 999 immediately. Local people first raised the alarm at 10:35am after shots were fired into a car by a man on Duke Street in a busy shopping area of Whitehaven. Police now say there has been a series of shootings in Whitehall, Seascale and Egremont.

A police spokesman said: “We do not know how many people have been killed or injured at the moment, we are working with the ambulance service to get all the information.”

One witness, Alex Hannah, 68, of Great Broughton, said had heard a loud bang as he drove out of Church Street, turning right into Duke Street in Whitehaven.

“As I turned right I saw people standing around the taxi rank looking stunned. As I turned past the police station I saw all these officers running out and realised something was major going on so I moved over to the right-hand lane. Then a car pulled up on the left, stopping at the lights,” he said.

“I saw a man with a large shotgun and his windscreen was smashed. I drove through the red light to get into Lowther Street and get out of the way. I got home safely but was very shaken.”

Helen Owens, who works at solicitors’ practice Brockbank, Cain and Hall on Duke Street in Whitehaven, said one of her colleagues saw a dead man on the street.

She said: “We heard a couple of gunshots and the police running about.

“One of our secretaries was out at the time and she saw a guy lying dead on the ground covered with a sheet - she saw his trainers sticking out.

“There’s police tape across it so we can’t see exactly what happened but saw a policeman running across the street.

“We have also heard there was another shooting at Morrisons car park, which is about five minutes away. “We have the door locked.”

A neighbour of the suspect, said Mr Bird worked as a taxi driver and had lived alone in Rowrah for more than 15 years.

James Campbell, 68, said: "He was a good neighbour, I can't say much more about him. He was always pleasant and never caused any problems as a neighbour. He always spoke if you met him outside and never was in any trouble that I know of."

A Cumbria police spokeswoman said: "A police search was launched at 10:35am this morning after shots were fired in Duke Street in Whitehaven.

"The search has now extended to the Ambleside, Coniston and central lakes areas so police are urging all members of the public in these areas and across the West Lakes area from Whitehaven to Ravenglass to go indoors and stay there until further notice."
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

K9medic

Re: Whitehaven shooting

Post by K9medic » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Latest news is 12 dead not counting the Gunman who shot himself. Looks like he used a shotgun and possable a rifle. BBC news at 10 say early indications was that he was a legal firearms owner.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Svothe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 am

Bit more information:

13 Dead Including Himself
25 Wounded, 3 Critical
He is a Legal FAC holder who used a .22lr and a shotgun. it is being compared to Dunblane but it is completely different..
It will most certainly cause further restriction to our poor firearms certification process and spur on the rage from more hoplophobes

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:43 am

Already I'm seeing calls for people to not be allowed to store ammunition and firearms at home.... :? :roll:
Man is a beast of prey

TC

Post by TC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:08 am

I was worried earlier about the possible reactions. So far I'm pleasantly relieved by how much sense is being talked. Alan Johnson was just on the TV and while I usually disagree with almost everything he says, he was surprisingly clued up about the technical aspects of gun ownership. He even refuted the point about all guns being stored away from people's homes, saying that in rural areas this would effectively kill shooting sports (not to mention being utterly impossible for professional and pest control use), something that I was amazed to hear.

I think that .22s and shotguns are actually so common all over the country that people will resist any attempts to ban anything much more than they have in the past. Yes, some people who aren't in rural areas have said stupid stuff such as in an article in The Guardian today calling for ammunition to be stored away from homes (impossible to put into practice in nearly all cases). I've also heard suggestions that vets be used to kill animals, clearly showing how these people have no idea what they are talking about and know nothing of things such as controlling rabbit numbers or getting rid of foxes. I know a guy who's record is something like 250 rabbits and 2 foxes in one night, how the hell is he supposed to do his job without a gun and ammunition at home? Call the vet? I don't think so!

Not too many seem to be calling for 'something to be done' at the moment, although that Barrie Moss muppet is getting right up my nose with his comments about how it is appalling that a taxi driver can have a gun or that rabbit hunting isn't a reason to have a gun because there are still lots of bunnies left and so they aren't doing a very good job of hunting and shouldn't have their guns. If he had the slightest idea of the damage rabbits do to rural areas then he'd see how stupid that argument is (if you can even call it an argument).

Anyway, hopefully people will just be allowed to mourn their losses without people jumping on the legislation side of things and exploiting this situation to reach their own goals.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”