Airsoft as a form of training

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Airsoft as a form of training

Post by Svothe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:17 pm

I was interested to inquire if any other of you UK bunch airsoft? I am currently a part of a airsoft team and really thoroughly enjoy the sport, just bought myself a new 10.5inch CQB M4 to add to my small collection (Also got a Glock 18, L96 Sniper and obviously. The SA80A1 (R85) ) But my real question is as our country slowly moves further and further away from legally owning firearms such as AR-15s and it becoming harder and harder to find anywhere to train with such weapons is airsoft, or could airsoft become a feasible form of training for tactics or even skill at arms/Weapons Handling practice. I have fired the SA80A1, A2, LSW, GPMG and such and my airsoft SA80/R85 is almost of exact details to the weapon i have used previously. at one point I conducted a small lesson to some airsoft companions of mine using the airsoft version showing them stoppage drills and such as well as safe weapons handling.

What do you lot think on airsoft as a sport, and as training?

Thanks,
Svothe

hague720
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn O the Dead

Re: Airsoft as a form of training

Post by hague720 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 pm

I think for familiarity it may give you a ball park feel for it ...

But i dont think it will come close for the adrenaline and stress surge that something closer to the real thing can do...??

I would be interested to hear what others who have some real time experience in this field could add to the thread??

interesting thread !

H(unkers down for cover) lol!!
OPEN CHANNEL D MR SOLO...

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss64/thomas720/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Svothe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:16 pm

No, I obviously understand the massive difference between the stress and adrenaline that comes with proper field exercises and real combat experience but for the majority of us Unarmed population when although frowned upon massively, the army's weapons may be all we can use/rely on after a complete melt down of government/power as the majority of our population or law abiding population would struggle to get firearms even after this kind of massive global incident. And actually, if the need arises I am sure a realistic Imitation Firearm airsoft gun with the proper colour and metal parts could no doubt work as a placebo even if just to allow you through areas safely for a short time.

I still enjoy the sport in general simply as it allows my the enjoyment of a blank firing exercise sadly without the loud bang, but the actual realism and slight fear of being shot does remain which is what makes it literally a gun sport to play. "Like Paintball with realistic firearms" basically. If nothing else, its a good laugh and helps some of the younger people at our airsofting site get a experience of being Tacti-cool without the chance of any real harm coming to themselves.

Thanks,
Svothe

hague720

Post by hague720 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 am

Svothe wrote:No, I obviously understand the massive difference between the stress and adrenaline that comes with proper field exercises and real combat experience but for the majority of us Unarmed population when although frowned upon massively, the army's weapons may be all we can use/rely on after a complete melt down of government/power as the majority of our population or law abiding population would struggle to get firearms even after this kind of massive global incident. And actually, if the need arises I am sure a realistic Imitation Firearm airsoft gun with the proper colour and metal parts could no doubt work as a placebo even if just to allow you through areas safely for a short time.

I still enjoy the sport in general simply as it allows my the enjoyment of a blank firing exercise sadly without the loud bang, but the actual realism and slight fear of being shot does remain which is what makes it literally a gun sport to play. "Like Paintball with realistic firearms" basically. If nothing else, its a good laugh and helps some of the younger people at our airsofting site get a experience of being Tacti-cool without the chance of any real harm coming to themselves.

Thanks,
Svothe

I wasnt ridiculing Svothe ...far from it ..any experience , that youve had and learnt from it is invaluable....it enables you to learn and grow and draw from when the time comes in the future ....Hence FIBUA exercises on Salusbury Plain at the village and at other venues the forces use.....are all justifiable learning tools....

What i was edging towards is the spectrum of training that can be carried out to bring about that adrenaline state....

Where i think you were heading with the OP was familiarity with weapons used by the forces and paintball equivalents......

Some years ago I had an instructor who taught ju jutsu..he took us on several paintball exercises and also brought us to a range down in Coombe Martin in Dorset(?).....

At the time non FAC holders could accompany an FAC holder( which he was , as he was involved in CP Work) , visit the range and fire a number of different weapons..

I expeirenced a different kind of adrenaline firing automatic weapons than i did at paintballing.

I acknowledge the OP ...leading on from that i would be interested how others acheive that adrenaline state ..and what it does for them ..how do they bring themselves down from it?

Nice OP mate !!

H

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss64/thomas720/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:09 pm

I have never fired air soft weapons, though I have trained with live fire weapons (both live rounds & blank), I also have a little experience with Adult training. As has been already said only firing a live round from a weapon can provide the real world experience of the noise, concussion and smell.

Having said that, the repetitive actions needed to learn “muscle memory,” for the drills required to gain the smooth & consistent actions needed, can if taught correctly, be learned from air soft and deactivated weapons.

As in all training the quality of the drills and scenarios set but the tutor will be more important than the weapons used. A good trainer can achieve good results with mediocre training aids; a mediocre trainer won’t get good results from good training aids.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

hague720

Post by hague720 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:51 am

I agree K,

My instructor would have us wear safety glasses with the edges blanked off so we had a limited field of vision......

When carrying out things such as a stoppage drill he would then walk round and jab the trainees in the ribs or legs , wherever at random... :twisted:

After a while this brings you to that edge where the adrenaline kicks in and makes for where that "slow motion , problem solving " feeling comes in.....

But unlike you K , i havent had it coming over the top of yer head..!! :shock:

spose thats another level all to itself... :shock:

Any way you could organise a weekend doing drills for us K ??

Being a training company , it would be tax deductable !....lol

:wink:

H

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”