UK legal weaponry reviews

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Morph
*
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Contact:

UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Morph » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:04 pm

I would be interested in getting a list of reviews of weaponry legal to the UK.

Would others be interested in this? I think it could cut down on the ammount of people confused about what is and isn't legal and also which knives etc. would be best for certain jobs.

If anybody at all shows interest in this then i will start a few reviews about things which i own. I would hope that others would be happy to do the same.

All the best.

Dan
-The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Weaponry:
55lb DW Compound Bow
Defender Machete
11" Blade Bowie
Kukri
Stanley Hatchet
Opinel No.6
Opinel No.8
Mora-Miki
Generic Lock Knife
Image

K9medic
* * * * *
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Northumberland UK

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by K9medic » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:21 pm

Gets my vote, think I have a few "toys" upstairs I can hunt out.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Morph
*
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Contact:

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Morph » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:56 pm

K9medic wrote:Gets my vote, think I have a few "toys" upstairs I can hunt out.

Ok nice 1. I will get some piccies and write some reviews of my toys.

The way i see it is any weaponry that is legal to OWN in the UK and if it is legal to own but not to carry then the legalities should be specified in the review.

I don't want to overstep my mark being a new member which is why i am just making suggestions and getting longer standing members to give me the thumbs up or thumbs down. Hope this is ok.

Dan
-The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Weaponry:
55lb DW Compound Bow
Defender Machete
11" Blade Bowie
Kukri
Stanley Hatchet
Opinel No.6
Opinel No.8
Mora-Miki
Generic Lock Knife
Image

User avatar
andygates
* * * * *
Posts: 4264
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by andygates » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Well, the over-arching comment must be that anything is a weapon if the copper thinks it is so. Falling back on "but it's legal" just means you fail the attitude test.

This is meant to cover situations like glassings and pipe-swinging gang-bangers: they're not sold by Battle Orders but they're pretty hurty.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

User avatar
Apache
* * *
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: North Yorkshire (England)

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Apache » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Although anything can be considered a weapon there are only a few things it is illegal to carry so long as you have a reason.

In the UK it is illegal to carry anything as a weapon. So there are no UK legal weapons. Thread dead? :lol:

I can legally drive around with 8" knives in my car as I have good reason if stopped.
crypto wrote:So, yeah, well be fucked when theres no more antibiotics, but so will all the old people without boners.

User avatar
the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6023
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Not Here.

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by the_alias » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:28 pm

Basically if you have an imagination and done any self defence then everything is illegal to carry because any smart individual can work out how to use coins as weapons, keys as weapons, bag as a weapon, lighters etc. Work out what you carry everday anyway and then think how you can used it as a defensive tool (not a weapon!;) )
Man is a beast of prey

Morph
*
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Contact:

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Morph » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Apache wrote: I can legally drive around with 8" knives in my car as I have good reason if stopped.
Not quite true. For example, if it is a knife for fishing then you must be on your way to or from a fishing trip and it must not be in your car other than that.

The only way you could realistically get around it is if the knife had some regular use associated with your car and to be honest i cant really think of one that couldn't be achieved with a less "offensive" tool.
-The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Weaponry:
55lb DW Compound Bow
Defender Machete
11" Blade Bowie
Kukri
Stanley Hatchet
Opinel No.6
Opinel No.8
Mora-Miki
Generic Lock Knife
Image

User avatar
Apache
* * *
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: North Yorkshire (England)

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Apache » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Morph wrote:
Apache wrote: I can legally drive around with 8" knives in my car as I have good reason if stopped.
Not quite true. For example, if it is a knife for fishing then you must be on your way to or from a fishing trip and it must not be in your car other than that.

The only way you could realistically get around it is if the knife had some regular use associated with your car and to be honest i cant really think of one that couldn't be achieved with a less "offensive" tool.
I'm a vet and it is my post mortem knife. :D
crypto wrote:So, yeah, well be fucked when theres no more antibiotics, but so will all the old people without boners.

User avatar
TC
* * * * *
Posts: 2978
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by TC » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:41 pm

Apache wrote:
Morph wrote:
Apache wrote: I can legally drive around with 8" knives in my car as I have good reason if stopped.
Not quite true. For example, if it is a knife for fishing then you must be on your way to or from a fishing trip and it must not be in your car other than that.

The only way you could realistically get around it is if the knife had some regular use associated with your car and to be honest i cant really think of one that couldn't be achieved with a less "offensive" tool.
I'm a vet and it is my post mortem knife. :D
In that case it would only be legal if you were carrying it during the hours you work. If you aren't working or going to or from work then it wouldn't be legal.

User avatar
Apache
* * *
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: North Yorkshire (England)

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Apache » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:29 pm

TC wrote:In that case it would only be legal if you were carrying it during the hours you work. If you aren't working or going to or from work then it wouldn't be legal.
I disagree. I did ask a policeman this and he said that if I was in a work vehicle fully stocked with all my gear it wouldn't matter if I went to Tesco and it was still in. The police are not interested about a single item or equipment in the back of my car.

If I took the big knife in my own car to do a post mortem I couldn't just leave it there. Equally if I kept it under the seat and rapidly accessible then I would be on dodgy ground.
crypto wrote:So, yeah, well be fucked when theres no more antibiotics, but so will all the old people without boners.

User avatar
TC
* * * * *
Posts: 2978
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by TC » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Apache wrote:
TC wrote:In that case it would only be legal if you were carrying it during the hours you work. If you aren't working or going to or from work then it wouldn't be legal.
I disagree. I did ask a policeman this and he said that if I was in a work vehicle fully stocked with all my gear it wouldn't matter if I went to Tesco and it was still in. The police are not interested about a single item or equipment in the back of my car.

If I took the big knife in my own car to do a post mortem I couldn't just leave it there. Equally if I kept it under the seat and rapidly accessible then I would be on dodgy ground.
Apologies. I was under the impression that you were talking about your own car and not a kitted out work vehicle. In that case I reckon that it would most likely be fine too.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

K9medic
* * * * *
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Northumberland UK

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by K9medic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:32 am

Most of the Vets / Dr I know keep a boot full of "work gear" in the personal cars, rather think it would be unsual to get a conviction for having a knife in with that lot.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Morph
*
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Contact:

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Morph » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Apache wrote:
TC wrote:In that case it would only be legal if you were carrying it during the hours you work. If you aren't working or going to or from work then it wouldn't be legal.
I disagree. I did ask a policeman this and he said that if I was in a work vehicle fully stocked with all my gear it wouldn't matter if I went to Tesco and it was still in. The police are not interested about a single item or equipment in the back of my car.

If I took the big knife in my own car to do a post mortem I couldn't just leave it there. Equally if I kept it under the seat and rapidly accessible then I would be on dodgy ground.

I think this would fall under the common sense catagory. The law says it is illegal to carry it in your vehicle without going to or from the place it is to be used but i do agree that no police man/woman would be stupid enough to try and get a prosecution in this case.
-The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Weaponry:
55lb DW Compound Bow
Defender Machete
11" Blade Bowie
Kukri
Stanley Hatchet
Opinel No.6
Opinel No.8
Mora-Miki
Generic Lock Knife
Image

User avatar
Apache
* * *
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: North Yorkshire (England)

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Apache » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:29 am

Morph - sorry if I got arsey and killed your thread. :shock:

As any lock knife is illegal to carry a folding Swiss army knife is unlikely to be any help, more a liability to the operator. Suppose the best improvised weapon would be a decent walking stick or pole. I always walk with a stick outdoors, but would look a little odd in Tesco.

What did you have in mind?
crypto wrote:So, yeah, well be fucked when theres no more antibiotics, but so will all the old people without boners.

Morph
*
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Contact:

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Morph » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:01 pm

I always use my walking stick, mainly because i cant walk without it... the fact that it is a solid steel pole isn't necasary but makes it heavy and manly and grrrrr

I am currently working on a walking stick project where i have a concealed (legal spec) knife in the handle for quick draw purposes but that is for another thread!
-The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Weaponry:
55lb DW Compound Bow
Defender Machete
11" Blade Bowie
Kukri
Stanley Hatchet
Opinel No.6
Opinel No.8
Mora-Miki
Generic Lock Knife
Image

User avatar
TC
* * * * *
Posts: 2978
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by TC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Morph wrote:I always use my walking stick, mainly because i cant walk without it... the fact that it is a solid steel pole isn't necasary but makes it heavy and manly and grrrrr

I am currently working on a walking stick project where i have a concealed (legal spec) knife in the handle for quick draw purposes but that is for another thread!
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure that would fall badly foul of the Criminal Justice Act's banned items list, either being a sword stick or a disguised knife (2002 amendment). It's illegal to manufacture such an item under the act, so I'd ditch that project if I were you.

How exactly were you planning on making the knife it it 'legal spec', unless it was a non-locking, sub 3" folding knife (though this would still be illegal if hidden in another item?
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

User avatar
Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 5684
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:45 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)
Location: Hampshire

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Ad'lan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Yeah, it's hidden and disguised issues make it a no go project. I would not advise this, it must be a utility tool, any intention to use it in self defense turns it into an offensive weapon.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Morph
*
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Contact:

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Morph » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Ad'lan wrote:Yeah, it's hidden and disguised issues make it a no go project. I would not advise this, it must be a utility tool, any intention to use it in self defense turns it into an offensive weapon.

The fact that i choose to carry it in that way is not an issue. otherwise you could say that keeping it in your pocket or in a pouch on your belt is also illegal as it cannot be seen.

Also, just because i would like it to be used in a hurry, does not mean it is meant as a weapon. i may need to draw it quickly for any number of reasons.
-The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Weaponry:
55lb DW Compound Bow
Defender Machete
11" Blade Bowie
Kukri
Stanley Hatchet
Opinel No.6
Opinel No.8
Mora-Miki
Generic Lock Knife
Image

User avatar
TC
* * * * *
Posts: 2978
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by TC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Morph wrote:
Ad'lan wrote:Yeah, it's hidden and disguised issues make it a no go project. I would not advise this, it must be a utility tool, any intention to use it in self defense turns it into an offensive weapon.

The fact that i choose to carry it in that way is not an issue. otherwise you could say that keeping it in your pocket or in a pouch on your belt is also illegal as it cannot be seen.

Also, just because i would like it to be used in a hurry, does not mean it is meant as a weapon. i may need to draw it quickly for any number of reasons.
Perhaps we've just misunderstood.

If you're talking about tying an SAK to a walking stick, then I can't see a problem. If you're talking about having a knife that slots into the stick, using the stick as a sheath, then that would be a violation of the law, regardless of your intentions. The Criminal Justice Act I mentioned above makes no reference to the context in which items such as 'sword sticks' or 'disguised knives' exist or are used, it simply states that to produce or own such a blade is illegal under any circumstance.

Of course, it's your business, not mine or Ad'lan's, we're just offering our advice and passing on the relevant legal information. Just bear in mind that it isn't your interpretation of the law or your thoughts on it that are of interest to the police or applicable in court.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

User avatar
Gingersam
* * *
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: The north

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Gingersam » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:11 pm

If your going out to do your washing at a laundrette, you can keep some loose change in a sock.

But that excuse would only work if you had a bag of dirty laundry with you.

User avatar
mattltm
* * *
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:25 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by mattltm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:18 pm

How about this?

Legal and useful?

I was thinking about getting a can for my partner to keep with her. She works in a pharmacy with no CCTV and one other woman most times.

Opinions please.

http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/product/asp/Prod ... f/page.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Spooky action at a distance."

User avatar
the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6023
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Not Here.

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by the_alias » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:55 pm

mattltm wrote:How about this?

Legal and useful?

I was thinking about getting a can for my partner to keep with her. She works in a pharmacy with no CCTV and one other woman most times.

Opinions please.

http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/product/asp/Prod ... f/page.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah I have one, tbh I ended up relegating it to the draw of stuff I've not used. Fuck maybe I'll do an RL test on it, get my brother to spray me, see what happens.
Sure it could provide a surprise, but really I would suggest a can of fire extinguisher, have that behind the counter. It will do probably a better job and have more volume, and probably easier to operate under duress. + you can put out fires with it :lol:
Man is a beast of prey

User avatar
mattltm
* * *
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:25 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by mattltm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:01 pm

the_alias wrote:Fuck maybe I'll do an RL test on it, get my brother to spray me, see what happens.
That's a you tube video I would like to see!

I was thinking the same thing about a fire extinguisher. No to handy on the walk to the car though.
"Spooky action at a distance."

Afromonk
* * *
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead :D
Location: Teh Birminhamz

Re: UK legal weaponry reviews

Post by Afromonk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:05 pm

You would be surprised.
I picked up a mini one use fire extinguisher from Staples the other day on clearance at £7.50.
Single use, http://www.staples.co.uk/health-and-saf ... uisher-2kg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Like that but i think mine is 1.5kg, Light enough to carry to car but strong enough to give a follow up whack with :D

Post Reply

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”