What kind of stove?

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

hague720
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn O the Dead

What kind of stove?

Post by hague720 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:14 pm

What kind of stove do have ?? Why do you favour that type and the advantages of it

How many have you got ? Is there an Uktimate one?

answers on a postcard please.......

H
OPEN CHANNEL D MR SOLO...

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss64/thomas720/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apache

Re: What kind of stove?

Post by Apache » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:20 pm

You mean camping stove?

I have the cook set that goes on the Kelly Kettle and for hot snacks outside it takes some beating!

Wouldn't like to live on it for too long!
crypto wrote:So, yeah, well be fucked when theres no more antibiotics, but so will all the old people without boners.

hague720

Post by hague720 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:23 pm

yeah i got the kelly , but a trifle bulky its a trade off fuel anywhere versus small rocket in a backpack.

I didnt but the cookset i made my own dfrom Gelert stuff.

H

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss64/thomas720/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:32 pm

I've got a defacto hexy stove which is pretty good. However for liquid cooking appliances I'd ask for details of the vortex/cyclone/storm cooker thing Fae had at the MBO.

hague720

Post by hague720 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:45 pm

what was it powered by Aeon ??

H

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:30 pm

Hexi here as well. Its very compact and actually pretty good.

The stove of Fae's that Aeon is referring too is called a Jetboil and from what ive seen of it, it's pretty awesome!
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

thelastspaniard

Post by thelastspaniard » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:36 pm

hexi here to

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:49 pm

To be honest, having seen other members 'use' their hexis they seem a bit shite. No offence guys :P

I've a coleman stove screws onto a gas canister, produces a good flame, boils quick, is light weight. Guess the obvious flaw is the gas canister.
Man is a beast of prey

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:57 pm

What you have to remember about the hexi stove is, it costs about £3 :)
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:14 am

I'm a bit of a geardo, and I've got quite a lot of stoves (although not as many as some of the forum members). Suggesting what's the "best" stove really depends on what you want to do with it.

I'll look for some photos to post later.

I don't have a BOB (there, I've said it) but if I did it would have either a hexamine/Esbit stove or a Sterno/Greenheat alcohol gel stove. They aren't the most effective but they're small, light, and the fuel has a high energy density, is low toxicity, less dangerous than (say) petrol plus it's self-contained so you don't need a separate container for it.

In a similar vein I occasionally slip a hexi stove plus metal cup into my GHB.

For day trips where I'm not fleeing for my life, these days I favour a meths stove (normally a Swedish army Trangia, although I have a Trangia 27 knock-off here somewhere). It's bigger and heavier, but it's just the thing for making tea when picnicing with my family.

In my car kit, there's a LPG cannister stove (with gas, natch). It's the only one of these stoves that I'd trust to use inside my car (under very close supervision) in the event that I'm stuck in my car by eg. snow.

If I'm car camping, I'll take a Coleman stove. Even the smaller ones are big and heavy, and the fuel's both smelly and dangerous, but in terms of sheer heat output they're the best I've got.

I know some people enthuse about wood-burning stoves, and I have one here, but it's (under most circumstances that I'm going to need a stove) I'm reluctant to rely on "found" fuel. And the thought of actually carrying wood to use as fuel strikes me as silly.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:14 pm

sheddi wrote:I'll look for some photos to post later.
Photos, not all mine ...

Hexy stove left, Sterno/Greenheat-style gelled alcohol stove right:
ImageImage

Swedish Army Trangia left, in use right:
ImageImage

Full-sized Trangia 27 (the photo is the real thing, mine's a Chinese copy from Lidl):

Three cannister stoves. Left to right: CG Bluet 206, CG Globetrotter 270, EpiGas Alpine. Plus two cannisters: blue CG CV 470 (450 gram), silver C206-compatible (190 gram).

Coleman stoves: Sportster II left, Feather 400 right (the link takes you to a similar current model).
ImageImage
Sorry about the scale - in real life the burner on each is roughly the same size, but the Feather 400 has a smaller tank and so weighs a bit less. "Feather" is however taking the mickey somewhat!
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:27 pm

I tend to use three stoves.
Hexy – because it works, cheap and I haven’t broken it yet.

Gas – bought a small burner for screw on cylinders a few years back. I like this stove, quick to boil and reasonably cheap to run. Just concerned that it could get damaged if I drop my Bergen.

Optmis Hunter – Very old petrol burner, big brass job that I found in a junk shop years ago. Heavy & smelly but it gets the job done. I tend to use this one in the winter as it’s more of a base camp cooker. Works in temperatures that the Gas starts to slow down and if you’re stuck in your tent due to bad weather, you can always fill in time polishing the brass tank.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:48 am

I do own a trangia knock off which isn't bad at all, and I do quite fancy getting a Hexy if just to knock out a cuppa tea in the mornings. I usually end up cooking over a camp fire though.

Urban Fox

Post by Urban Fox » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:09 am

Hexamine is my choice of heater for up to 3 days by myself. Its the most efficient space wise, and there is nothing to break. Its just a tad hard to do more than boil water on.

If there is 3 of us, or were going for more than a long weekend I go gas or Swiss, it is just much more flexible, and truth be told you would be hard pushed to break the fuel burner on a trangiea.

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”