Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Re: UK Swine Flu Thread

Post by sheddi » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 am

the_alias wrote:Blerg I think I've got it.
Sympathies.

Look on it as a chance to catch up on all those zombie movie DVDs you've been meaning to watch ...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

TC

Post by TC » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:47 pm

the_alias wrote:Blerg I think I've got it. Woke up today with nose blocked lovely yellow snot, achey, tired, hot, no appetite and feel generally pretty shitty. Time for paracetamol, fluids and movies for a couple of days I guess!
Sorry to hear that, mate.

"I want soup... I wanna watch CBeebies..."
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:19 am

Thanks Sheddi and TC, Haha great video. Hmm today my fever seems to be kinda gone, burnt up a lot last night though urg. Still bit bunged up and achey, maybe it wasn't it, maybe it was ah well just going to take it easy for a few days still me thinks.
Man is a beast of prey

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Hope you're feeling better there, swiney. :)

Interesting development at work today: we all got a questionnaire asking for ad hoc contact details and all our extra skills. Management are planning for continuity in the face of mass absenteeism should the lurgy go ballistic.

(Thus, for example, I might climb down from my ivory tower and become a desktop engineer or a helpdesk geek or a delivery driver, if they're all sick and my department is unaffected)

I don't think we'll need it, because the recovery time seems good all round, but it's nice to see preparedness being done right.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:57 pm

I realise I've neglected this thread, so here's the latest official spin on things.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwe ... 1473387261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weekly pandemic flu media update

3 September 2009

KEY POINTS

* This week there has been a further reduction in the rates of flu-like illness and related activity.
* Weekly GP consultation rates continued to decrease over the last week in England.
* The majority of cases continue to be mild. There is no sign that the virus is changing. It is not becoming more severe or developing resistance to anti-virals.
* Interpretation of data to produce estimates on the number of new cases continues to be subject to a considerable amount of uncertainty. HPA modelling gives an estimate of 4,500 new cases in England last week (range 2,500 to 10,000). There has been a decrease in estimated number of cases in all age groups and in all regions.
This estimate incorporates data from National Pandemic Flu Service and GP consultations.
Lots more at the link.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:51 pm

More news!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8261496.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BBC wrote:Fears swine flu 'on the way back'

Swine flu looks to be on its way back, according to Sir Liam Donaldson, England's chief medical officer. Figures showed that there were an estimated 5,000 new cases in England last week - up from 3,000. It is the first increase since the end of July, but the levels are still below what would be expected in a bad winter.

In Scotland, the numbers have nearly doubled to more than 6,000, although in Wales and Northern Ireland the figures are much lower.
More at the link, including this chart of GP consultations.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

TC

Post by TC » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Yup, heard this on the radio this evening. Not really surprising considering that kids are back to school and the season is turning.

Worth keeping more of an eye on again though.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

andygates

Post by andygates » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Here comes the second wave. All the drama that was being talked up before? It's in the pipeline for the next three months. :?

C'mon vaccine, any time you like. This really is like playing Pandemic, but the tests can't be rushed.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

marcushar

Post by marcushar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:15 pm

We were asked at work today by my Sgt how many of the team would have the Jab if it was offered.
The results were not good out of 15 officers only 9 said they would have it
When asked why i would not have it i told him that i did not belive that the Jab was safe or tested enough he said i was wrong and that the HMG would not be giving it if it was not safe and we should not listen to all the hype that the alternative media was saying

The Sgt is a closed minded follower of what the goverment says is right and if you dont listen you are a hippy grass smoker who is about to bring down the country he freaked when i said i supported the folk at G20

All the best
Max

andygates

Post by andygates » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:22 pm

It has the same testing as the regular annual flu jab. Do you always refuse the flu jab? The seasonal jab has been working to the same general formula for the last 12 years, and safety is good.

marcushar

Post by marcushar » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:04 pm

I dont have the normal flu jab and have never had the flu i belive a good healthy body and mind help keep me fit for work

The swine flu jab i'm not 100% sure is safe and there are to many arguments for and against (I dont have a tin foil hat)

andygates

Post by andygates » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Your call, though the argument "I haven't caught it yet so I won't catch it" is basically flawed.

In local news, we're (Exeter) one of the test locations for the child vaccine test. Two vaccines are being set up in a dance-off with Brucey declaring the winner after a phone-in... no, wait, that was last-night's stilton dream.

Both vaccines have been tested as safe and effective. These tests are to see which is best-tolerated and most effective.

Unlike the US experience (see the main thread) there's no big flu drama going on yet, though the ambulance service have apparently been holding on to the old ambos they would otherwise have scrapped, in case they're needed for very large numbers of patient transports. There's some fun finding enough people to actually crew the things!

marcushar

Post by marcushar » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:14 am

I just dont feel the flu is that bad compared to everyday garden english man flu
My mates who have had it say it was not that bad just knocked them about abit for a few days

I just dont like the idea of pumping drugs in to my healthy system when we dont know the full long term results does not matter what HMG say

In West Yorkshire the fire brigade are starting a reserve unit to support full time and part time fire fighters. The unit will be made up of retired staff

If things get that bad in Exeter then i think they will turn out the army to drive for the ambulance service but your always welcome to take cover here in sunny yorkshire (that last part was a lie about the sun)

max

andygates

Post by andygates » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Oh lord, not the TA down the hill! *Can* they drive? They look so young!

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:30 pm

andygates wrote:Oh lord, not the TA down the hill! *Can* they drive? They look so young!
Been freshers week dude, talk about young, fucking hordes of em....
Man is a beast of prey

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:09 am

Silly question, but why do people always thing in an emergency the military will turn out and help ? Lets be honest if the flu gets that bad one, of the worest hit groups will be the military. Early 20's living in close proximity to each other, I would say that the flu would rip through a military camp at high speed.

Think we need to re-think this one.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

andygates

Post by andygates » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:50 am

Because in an emergency the military always do come out to help. They just divert what's available from square-bashing to truck-driving. Why do you think this won't work?

If a whole camp goes down, then ten days later the whole camp is back up.

Disruption, not apocalypse.

Mind you, if it gets really silly here, I get repurposed along the following chain (we've all had to draw these up, just in case): My IT server specialty; other IT server specialties; desktop support among the plague bearers; and if the SHTF, delivery driver.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:54 pm

We'll know the S has truly HTF when they call me up. OTC's to the rescue....

or at least, to rescue the bar. If there's a shortage of barmen, were ready to serve.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

marcushar

Post by marcushar » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:34 pm

The elite units of the OTC's are the sas of bar staff only to be called in if and when the shtf the beer pumps will be in good hands

We would have to issue the young drivers base ball caps and a banging sound system or they wont wan to drive

andygates

Post by andygates » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:17 pm

the_alias wrote:
andygates wrote:Oh lord, not the TA down the hill! *Can* they drive? They look so young!
Been freshers week dude, talk about young, fucking hordes of em....
I use the Uni gym - it's even worse there! :)

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:01 pm

I've just posted a swine flu update over in the main thread:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 8#p1108998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

andygates

Post by andygates » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:09 pm

The preggers are the big target group here: flu is a bastard to pregnant women, and the swine flu is a bastard too.

FYI, the bulk of the UK vaccine is going to be GSK's Pandemrix. Yes, I thought Pandemrix was a Gaul too. It's a one-dose, adjuvated pandemic vaccine, tons of science bumf online.

I'm looking into how the swine and regular flu jabs interact - whether you should wait a week between them or whatever. As an asthmatic working in the NHS, I get to jump the queue twice. :mrgreen:

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Bad news mate, they lied to you. You’re not jumping the queue twice, you’re the test subject
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

andygates

Post by andygates » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Don't you bloody start as well. I'm losing my sense of humour over all this FUD. :roll:

I've had it confirmed that you can have both jabs at the same time.

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”