Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Re: UK Swine Flu Thread

Post by sheddi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:47 am

Brit-ZedHunter wrote:A guy in the company I work for has swine flu now.
The rumourmill has it that at least one person in my company has it, too.

Not such a rumour, rather a news story, is this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8142833.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK swine flu death toll hits 14

Fourteen patients are now thought to have died in the UK after contracting swine flu, the government has said. Not all of those had died as a direct result of swine flu, but they had all had the virus, England's chief medical officer Sir Liam Donaldson said.

There are 335 people in hospital in England with swine flu, of whom 43 are in critical care. The number of swine flu cases in London and the West Midlands is approaching epidemic levels, Sir Liam added.

The UK now has the third highest number of swine flu cases in the world - 9,718 - after the US and Mexico. As of Wednesday, Mexico had 10,262 cases, and there were 33,902 confirmed cases in the US.

Of the 14 deaths in the UK, 12 have occurred in England and two in Scotland. Sir Liam said the true number of people in the UK suffering from the virus was unknown, as many people would be treating themselves at home rather than contacting their GP.
So the number of deaths has doubled since Monday, folks.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:41 pm

OK, the HPA has published the first of its weekly updates.
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwe ... 7125491112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a lot of information there, but I'm still getting my head around what it all means ...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:01 am

sheddi wrote:OK, the HPA has published the first of its weekly updates.
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwe ... 7125491112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a lot of information there, but I'm still getting my head around what it all means ...
Rather than try to offer my own explanation, here's someone else's:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters ... e_flu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Swine flu news. Only one story from me tonight, but it's a UK milestone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8145389.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BBC wrote:First 'healthy' swine flu death

A patient in Essex has become the first person in the UK without underlying health problems to die of swine flu. NHS East of England said the victim died at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital on Friday. A spokesman said the hospital trust "would like to extend their deepest sympathies to the family affected as they come to terms with their loss".

On Thursday the government said 14 people were thought to have died in the UK after contracting swine flu. England's chief medical officer Sir Liam Donaldson said not all of those had died as a direct result of swine flu but they had all had the virus. Of the 14 deaths, 12 occurred in England and two in Scotland. The number of swine flu cases in London and the West Midlands was approaching epidemic levels, he added.

At the request of the patient's family no further details about the latest victim will be released by the health service. BBC News health correspondent Branwen Jeffreys said: "This was someone with no previous health problems, but not perhaps surprising. "Although this flu virus has been fairly mild in most people there is always the possibility with flu that it can be a severe illness."

Dr Andrea Atherton, director of public health for NHS South East Essex, said: "We would like to reassure people that the risk of transmission still remains small. "It is important to stress that the symptoms of swine flu are, relatively speaking, mild. "Unless you have flu-like symptoms and are being tested for swine flu, there is absolutely no need to stop your normal everyday activities."

Two people in Canvey Island are being treated for a mild form of swine flu and the East of England has seen 14 cases overall, a spokeswoman said.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

Greg Mainer
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Of the Dead series
Flight of the Dead
Zombie Diaries

Post by Greg Mainer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 pm

A workmate of another instructor on my unit has Swine Flu, as a precaution she's been TamiFlu'ed. Fortunately she'd just gone on a month of leave for personal reasons but my unit is still active, hopefully we'll find out she's clear but we're keeping an eye open although the news of her co-worker having Swine Flu has not been made aware to the other staff.

chief.kaiser

Post by chief.kaiser » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:14 am

The entire population could be vaccinated against swine flu as health chiefs draw up plans to build a nationwide immunity to the disease.

* Swine flu: plans to vaccinate UK
* Swine flu patient in critical condition in Hong Kong
* Plan to vaccinate whole UK for flu
* Related Hot Topic: Swine Flu

In what would be the biggest vaccination programme of the last 50 years, experts are already formulating a priority list of patients before the bug becomes more virulent.

The fast-tracking comes after the first British patient without underlying health problems succumbed to the disease - the 15th swine flu death in the UK.

Mole

Post by Mole » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:05 am

chief.kaiser wrote:The entire population could be vaccinated against swine flu as health chiefs draw up plans to build a nationwide immunity to the disease.
Someone's been watching Torchwood...

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:32 am

WHO wrote:Viruses resistant to oseltamivir (Tamiflu) identified

8 JULY 2009 | GENEVA -- WHO has been informed by health authorities in Denmark, Japan and the Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong, China of the appearance of H1N1 viruses which are resistant to the antiviral drug oseltamivir (known as Tamiflu) based on laboratory testing.

These viruses were found in three patients who did not have severe disease and all have recovered. Investigations have not found the resistant virus in the close contacts of these three people. The viruses, while resistant to oseltamivir, remain sensitive to zanamivir.

Close to 1000 pandemic H1N1 viruses have been evaluated by the laboratories in the Global Influenza Surveillance Network for antiviral drug resistance. All other viruses have been shown sensitive to both oseltamivir and zanamivir. WHO and its partners will continue to conduct ongoing monitoring of influenza viruses for antiviral drug resistance.

Therefore, based on current information, these instances of drug resistance appear to represent sporadic cases of resistance. At this time, there is no evidence to indicate the development of widespread antiviral resistance among pandemic H1N1 viruses. Based on this risk assessment, there are no changes in WHO's clinical treatment guidance. Antiviral drugs remain a key component of the public health response when used as recommended.

hague720
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn O the Dead

Post by hague720 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:29 am

Mole wrote:
chief.kaiser wrote:The entire population could be vaccinated against swine flu as health chiefs draw up plans to build a nationwide immunity to the disease.
Someone's been watching Torchwood...

Shades of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade are saying on You Tube regards all the plastic coffins in the railyards and refusing to take vaccinations :shock:

H
OPEN CHANNEL D MR SOLO...

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss64/thomas720/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Another unfortunate milestone today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8148162.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GP and child with swine flu die

A GP and a six-year-old girl have become the latest to die after contracting the swine flu virus.

Dr Michael Day died on Saturday in Luton and Dunstable Hospital, but the NHS said the exact cause of death in the case is still unknown. A swab test taken from Dr Day at the hospital has been confirmed as being positive for the H1N1 swine flu virus.

Chloe Buckley, six, from north west London died after contracting swine flu on Thursday.

The NHS said the case of Dr Day, who was from Dunstable, has been reported to a coroner for investigation. This latest death brings the total number of swine flu-related deaths in the UK to 17.

A statement from NHS East of England said: "NHS East of England, NHS Bedfordshire and Dr Day's colleagues in the practice would like to extend their deepest sympathies to the family as they come to terms with their sad loss."

Dr Paul Hassan, senior partner at Priory Gardens health centre in Dunstable, where Dr Day worked, said: "This news has come as such a shock to us all and we are completely devastated. Dr Day was a work colleague and also a personal friend to everyone at the practice. I know the news will also come as a great shock to our patients, many of whom have known him for many years. Our thoughts at this time are with his wife and family."

Dr Laurence Buckman, chairman of the British Medical Association's GPs Committee, said: "Doctors have always accepted that there are risks associated with their job. Obviously these are smaller than they used to be with the advent of modern medicine, but they can never be eliminated altogether. It is understandable that people will be worried when they hear that a GP has died but we urge them to follow the recommended advice and contact their family doctor, rather than physically going to the surgery if they have symptoms. We must remember that every year there are deaths from complications of seasonal flu - this is unfortunately inevitable with any strain of influenza."

Meanwhile, tributes have been paid to Chloe, who attended St Catherine's School in West Drayton, north west London and died at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, London.

Head teacher Sara Benn said: "It is impossible to put into words the sorrow that the whole school feels in such tragic circumstances. Chloe was a bright and tenacious student with a keen interest in sports. She will be missed by her fellow pupils and her teachers at the school. Our thoughts are with her parents and family at this time. We are working with the council and health authority to support parents and pupils dealing with this devastating news."
More at the link.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Mole wrote:Someone's been watching Torchwood...
Ah yes, fiction, and fiction with some twerp's bare immortal arse and alien druggies. *facepalm*

Herd immunity works. Fact. I'll get all no-sense-of-humour if the antivax crowd start flapping over this.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Mole

Post by Mole » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:33 pm

andygates wrote:Ah yes, fiction, and fiction with some twerp's bare immortal arse and alien druggies. *facepalm*

Herd immunity works. Fact. I'll get all no-sense-of-humour if the antivax crowd start flapping over this.
Sorry at my failed attempt at humour. :(

I have no problems with vaccinations. I'll be happy to queue up for an injection if it's going to keep me and mine safe from something that could be very nasty for me, my unborn child and my young daughter.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:36 pm

Mole wrote:
andygates wrote:Ah yes, fiction, and fiction with some twerp's bare immortal arse and alien druggies. *facepalm*

Sorry at my failed attempt at humour. :(

I have no problems with vaccinations. I'll be happy to queue up for an injection if it's going to keep me and mine safe from something that could be very nasty for me, my unborn child and my young daughter.
's OK, I knew/hoped you were kidding :)

Much like you, I'm far more worried for my children than I am for me. (How their risk compares to mine doesn't really come into it.)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

andygates

Post by andygates » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Sorry, that was snappy of me. Bad day at Black Mesa. ;)

Had a chat with one of our Infection Control ladies today at work. A handful of staff have it, mostly out in the community (not quite Nerys Hughes on her bike but nearly), and are off work accordingly. No sense of panic.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

hague720

Post by hague720 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:10 am

What are the addional signs that Mark it out from Summer Flu??

What checks are Meds doing to differentiate between the two ??.....

and is it down solely to blood tests to verify it??.........

At what point at home do you think "mmm better nip off to the docs for a check on this one??"

No snorting pig jokes or getting shot while flying please..... :roll:

H
Norff Walez

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss64/thomas720/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skydiver

Post by Skydiver » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:52 am

oh no, you're not supposed to nip off to the docs with it - you're supposed to phone and a doc will call you back, and probably advise you not to leave your house for the next 3 months, lol

krootox1986
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead (original), shaun of the dead, dead set

Post by krootox1986 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:05 am

the latest round by me is that they've managed to contain a fair few cases around Llandaff, Llandaff north and whitchurch it doesn't look to be spreading any further and most people who've had it have been fine after a few days in bed with the meds. I hope it stays that way as i can't afford to be off work i'm a pauper as it is lol :lol:
Make mine an Ale

hague720

Post by hague720 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 pm

@ Krootox.....

word association time...ready??

welsh ....pot .....havent,,,,urinating.........got .....red...... :lol:

Have you broken the code??? :lol:

`s`okay Krootz - I know the feeling.......

Must be that the cash doesnt stretch to the principality :roll:

H(ole in my pocket)

culturally and geographically born to poverty :mrgreen:

andygates

Post by andygates » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:17 pm

hague720 wrote:What are the addional signs that Mark it out from Summer Flu??

What checks are Meds doing to differentiate between the two ??.....z
For most people, no significant difference - and they're not testing everyone, because there are too many for that to be sensible any more. Most patients will get normal ol' flu symptoms.

Breaking News: A Japanese research team has gone through the virus's genes and concluded that it will infect deeper into the lungs than regular flu. For most, that's just a chesty cough, but critically it means that the likelihood of developing pneumonia is greater. Not tons greater, the great majority still get better spontaneously, but it means that it is worth paying attention to people in the vulnerable groups.

(and if you're so fat that it makes you snore, that includes you even if you're fit-n-fat)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters ... ccine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg Mainer
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Of the Dead series
Flight of the Dead
Zombie Diaries

Post by Greg Mainer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:36 pm

It just keeps getting better... Confirmed case in my mother's work office, unknown if Swine Flu has made the job to our home or us. Watching for symptoms and mildly irked that now makes two people I know in direct contact with someone infected with Swine Flu. As of yet only the earlier mentioned workmate from cadets has been Tamiflu'ed.

krootox1986
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead (original), shaun of the dead, dead set

Post by krootox1986 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:36 pm

disregard my last post someone in my work who is a teaching assistant just got sent home and the school closed with suspected aporkalypse. That means its just a matter of time before it hops the one road separating ely from caerau. oh well better stock up on the OJ and tamiflu lol
Make mine an Ale

andygates

Post by andygates » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:22 pm

Greg, bear in mind that tamiflu is only effective in the first 48h of infection. If you man it out too long, you miss the boat.

krootox1986

Post by krootox1986 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:37 pm

wow when you say it like that i wanna man this thing out like the beast i am lol
Make mine an Ale

andygates

Post by andygates » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Chuck Norris didn't catch swine flu. Swine flu caught Chuck Norris. Fatality!

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”