Trip and Hike Reports

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

K9medic

Re: Trip and Hike Reports

Post by K9medic » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:35 pm

A couple of weeks ago I was getting bored sitting in the house so me and the dog decided to make a run for the hills.

I have permission to wild camp on a local hill farm that shares woodland with the local forestry commission. Still had about 4 – 5 inches of snow on the ground and night time temperature dropped to -4.

Was only planning to stay out one night, but took enough for two nights if I changed my mind. I used my Berghaus Monro, which is turning out to be as good as its big brother the Cyclops Roc.

Slept under my Basher on an ¾ inflatable mat in a Snugpac Softie 12. Embarrassed to say I forgot my tent pegs so had to improvise with twigs, lucky under the trees there was no wind. This combination kept me snug, though my knees did get cold about three in the morning, did help that I had 70lb of German shepherd curled around my feet.

Did about three miles on the first night, then a slow five mile loop the next day back to the car. Unfortunately Cassy is nearly 15 years old and not really up to a hard day, especially in the lose snow.

Made a flask of hot water at about 7 in the morning and it was still piping hot to make a brew at 12ish. Carried it in an old insulated flask pouch that I picked up in the mid 80’s. Used an old epi-gas stove and a Peak mess tin for cooking, the Peak is my new winter mess tins and Im impressed with them.

"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

TC

Post by TC » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Looks like an interesting trip, thanks for sharing it.

How did you brew up? I'm guessing you probably had a stove, but thought I'd ask in case you'd made a small fire or something. If you did use a fire, how did you get on with getting it going?
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:36 pm

Rather boring really, I used a small gas stove and the square Peak mess tins. I tend to use the Peak mess tins in the winter as it holds more than the issue ones, so I can boil enough water for the flask , morning brew and a quick wash and shave all at once. I used self heating boil in the bag on this trip (Cass got complete meal made with hot water) so didn’t need lots of water boiled.

I tend not to light fires in this area, as I have permission to wild camp but didn’t ask about fires, and I don’t want to lose my hideout. The locals also tend to get nervous about fires that close to the forest.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Fair enough.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

hague720
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn O the Dead

Post by hague720 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Looks like a good trip and you managed to blow the cobwebs away mate ...fair one !!

H
OPEN CHANNEL D MR SOLO...

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss64/thomas720/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”