Pen y Fan hike (09) - Discussion thread

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Aeon

Pen y Fan hike (09) - Discussion thread

Post by Aeon » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:26 pm

The aim of this thread is to discuss the trek up Pen Y Fan (and the other peaks);

Discussion on fundraising should be done in this thread

Event info
Type: Physical Endurance
Location: Pen Y Fan Mountains and associated adjoining peaks, South Wales, UK
Date: 28th March 2009

Brash is compiling a list of recommended kit. I'm already working on route cards and the paperwork.

Last edited by Aeon on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faerie9
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Re: UK Charity Event Discussion

Post by faerie9 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:26 am

Wow, looks excellent! I am so there :mrgreen:

Let me know when a Facebook page is up :)

Also please note my 2 dogs Trip and Abbie will also be in attendance 8)

Treasurer
UK Chapter
ZS:X

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:23 am

Hope to see as many of you on the mountain as possible, but even if you're not able to attend the actual event you can still help out by promoting it, donating and getting your friends and family to donate. Check out our Justgiving webpage in the link above that Aeon put together for us.

For those attending we will send out sponsor forms to you via email or snail mail as soon as you've confirmed so you can raise money that way too. Final amount will be collected on the day.

Here is the recommended kit list for those wanting to attend. For safety reasons we won't let you on the mountain in jeans, t-shirt and trainers. :D

Hiking Boots -

Lets start from the ground up and go with a decent set of boots. You'll be on your feet and walking for most of the day so make sure they fit and are comfortable. If you buy new boots break them in first so you don't get blisters to bad on the hike.

Backpack -

I am not hiking my full sized bergen up that mountain. That said any full size pack or day pack will be fine. You'll need something to carry the rest of your gear is so use your head.

Clothing -

Wear appropriate clothing and bring layers. Many thinner layers are warmer than just one thick one. You can also strip down as you start to get warmer from all the walking. The weather on Pen Y Fan is a little unpredictable so bring a warm hat and expect a bit of rain.

Water -

You'll need something to drink and alcohol is not a good choice. Water or an isotonic sports drink if thats your thing. I'd say at least two liters. Plastic or metal bottles and camelbaks only. No glass bottles please. Oh and bring a cup. We might have a brew up at the top.

Food -

Bring a packed lunch. Sandwiches, fruit, energy bars and the like. If you have any MRE's you could bring those but anything that requires any actual cooking is probably a bad idea. We won't be stopping long enough for that, stoves are heavy, and theres a pub back at the bottom.

Map, Compass and/or GPS -

I will provide a route map to each group going up but I'm relying on you lot having your own compasses. If you have a GPS and feel confidant using it then feel free to bring it. The route we're taking is well travelled so nav shouldn't be to much of a concern but it's better safe than sorry.

First Aid Kit -

I'll be bringing a full FAK with suitable supplies for a day hike but you are encouraged to bring your own as well. If you have first aid experience then let us know via PM before the trip.

Emergency Blanket -

Might be a good idea to bring one just in case. Anyone who freezes to death on the mountain will be used as a sled to get back to safety by the others.

Mobile Phones -

In case anyone gets lost and in case of emergencies bring your phone. We'll send around a call list before the event as usual so that we can get in touch with people who may be running late or to arrange someone to meet anyone who gets lost on their way to the meet up even if they have a GPS with them.

ID, medication and personal care items -

Please keep valid ID on you at all times and inform us of any existing medical conditions before the day of the event.

Cyborg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, obviously.

Post by Cyborg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:08 am

Brash wrote: You'll need something to drink and alcohol is not a good choice.
Dave, this means you buddy.

==============================================================

I will crash out my aid bag and chuck that in my bergan for the event, my quals are still good too :D
Strategic Intelligence Officer
UK Chapter.

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:26 am

BoneDoc wrote:I will crash out my aid bag and chuck that in my bergan for the event, my quals are still good too :D
Good, because mine ain't. :D

Cyborg

Post by Cyborg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:32 am

Wonder how many regiment we'll see up there training :lol:

We can always try and sign a few up to the cause.

UK Chapter.

Brash

Post by Brash » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:35 am

We're not actually taking the route from Neuadd car park. I was planning a less circular route up over Corn Du summit and on to the Pen Y Fan summit. That way if we feel up to it we can go on and do the triple summit and do Cribyn as well and then take the same route back down. I'll have a rough map up later.

Cyborg

Post by Cyborg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:37 am

Sounds good mate, I might have a little pre walk of the route at some point anyway...
UK Chapter.

Polar_Bear
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend - I like to find faults with it and fix them plus fast zombies rule.
I tend not to rember zombie film names, but like them when I watch them

Post by Polar_Bear » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:53 am

On my list of things to do i now have.
join zs and get fit enough to do all the fund raising walks
hmm the first bit will be relitively easy when my student loans go in teh second bit may not ne so easy.

Brash

Post by Brash » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:59 am

If you're even the slightest bit fit you'll be able to do this walk, although you should always check with your doctor before performing any excercise.

Polar_Bear
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend - I like to find faults with it and fix them plus fast zombies rule.
I tend not to rember zombie film names, but like them when I watch them

Post by Polar_Bear » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:09 am

Brash wrote:If you're even the slightest bit fit you'll be able to do this walk, although you should always check with your doctor before performing any excercise.
From the pics it looks liek its going to be a smuch mountaineering (sp?) as it is walking, teh distance of about 7 miles doesnt sound bad at all. Well if its not too bad hopefully I can do teh next one

Brash

Post by Brash » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:18 am

Heres the route I had in mind. Starting off at the Storey Arms and going up and over the three peaks and then back the way we came after a cuppa tea and a photo op. Should only be about 5 miles so it's doable by everyone.

Cyborg

Post by Cyborg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:23 am

Seems good to me, I've walked most of that route a few times and there are some great views :D
UK Chapter.

Gingersam

Post by Gingersam » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:36 am

It will still winter/spring when you do it. I'd make sure everyone has a torch incase you get caught out. Better safe than sorry.

Cyborg

Post by Cyborg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:39 am

Gingersam wrote:It will still winter/spring when you do it. I'd make sure everyone has a torch incase you get caught out. Better safe than sorry.
You not coming?
UK Chapter.

Brash

Post by Brash » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:50 pm

If you're on facebook and would like to promote the event then you can join the group at...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110355270633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Invite as many people as you know and ask them to donate!

faerie9
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by faerie9 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:46 pm

woohoo, group joined and all that :)
Treasurer
UK Chapter

Mole

Post by Mole » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:02 pm

Good luck with this guys! Shame I won't be able to join you.

BTW - last time I was there (about four years ago) the Storey Arms was just an outdoor centre. There are no facilities around so definitely bring your own food/water.

Ricas Kibu
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead (remake)
28 Days Later

Post by Ricas Kibu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:25 pm

Well, this looks to be fun.
ZSC:010- UK Chapter

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Brash wrote:...Should only be about 5 miles so it's doable by everyone...
What type of trail is it? I'm not in great shape (aiming to change that this year, resolutions and all that) but I do fancy doing this.
Is it basically a walk up a bit of an incline, with a bag on my back and it'll proably be raining? If so, it sounds just like when I was a postman, i'll easily manage it.

Brash

Post by Brash » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Big and Daft wrote:
Brash wrote:...Should only be about 5 miles so it's doable by everyone...
What type of trail is it? I'm not in great shape (aiming to change that this year, resolutions and all that) but I do fancy doing this.
Is it basically a walk up a bit of an incline, with a bag on my back and it'll proably be raining? If so, it sounds just like when I was a postman, i'll easily manage it.
Yeah pretty much. It gets a bit steeper towards the top but nothing to bad.

Brash

Post by Brash » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Clickable sig banner for the event. Go ahead and use it. The more exposure we get the better.

If you're unsure how to set a clickable sig banner PM me and I'll do it for you.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Awesome, looking forward to this!
Man is a beast of prey

Cyborg

Post by Cyborg » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Comms?
UK Chapter.

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”