Questions about my cb radio

Discussion forum for the ZS Amateur Radio Club

Moderator: ZS Board of Directors

iamdurkee

Questions about my cb radio

Post by iamdurkee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm new to cb radios. I have a 23 channel Realistic onehander with the controls all built in to the mic and i love it. The radio it self is what made me buy it not needing to talk to anyone else. Now that i do plan on using it 3 years later what's all of your suggestions on antennas and amplifiers? as of right now it's being used with a 4 foot firestick. I don't know how to find out if it's working or if nobody is on also. Hate to be the :clap: in the group.

iamdurkee

Re: Questions about my cb radio

Post by iamdurkee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 pm

I also apologize upfront believing this is for more of a HAM radio crowd. I'm kind of dumb and just looking for some help. I build cars and know nothing of electronics.

grennels

Post by grennels » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Tune to channel 19 and go out near the interstate. Make sure the squelch isn't turned up too far.

If it's working you'll know it.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, since you got a "base/vehcile" station, check out a cheap Midland 75-785 Handheld...makes for a decent combo. Not only can you test it, but you now have ZPaw Communications. If you want to "tweak" your Realistic, you'll need an SWR meter...cheap one's can be had for around $10-$15, and thta will tell you how efficient the "relationship" is between what your radio's putting out and what you antenna is actually emitting, if that makes sense. Cell-Phone will not work long into a ZPaw, so a back-up "dumb" communication (CB/FRS/VHF, etc.) is definitely worth the investment. Ham is the best due to the range you get, but for you BIL, CB/FRS is fine.

If you had a model #/Picture, it would help a little bit too.

But yeah, take it near an interstate and wait a few minutes...if you hear talking, your good.

To set the squelch, put it on the channel you want (19 for truckers/9 for REAL emergencies), and then turn the squelch until you hear static, and then turn it the opposite direction just enough to make the static stop. Hope this helps!

If you really want to get into radio and have fun, check out a cheap scanner for your area (plus you can pick up CB/HAM/FRS)

Hope this helps! Welcome and have fun!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

iamdurkee

Post by iamdurkee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:30 pm

I've considered calling my uncle on this one I'm a weapons, food prep, vehicle prep, self sufficient living. I build race cars and off road trucks all the time. Considered getting into electronics. I tend to get lost in what i build or get into do to ADHD. Got offered a ton of older HAM radio stuff from my uncle last time i saw him. I think I may take him up on that offer.

iamdurkee

Post by iamdurkee » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 am

Incase anyone here was wondering under equipment there's a communications thread. I apologize. I'm looking into the midland handheld. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Zombie Squad Radio Club”