It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:38 pm 

i have a comet CA-2x4SRNMO dual-band antenna mounted on the quarter panel of my truck in preparation for when i have enough dough to pick up a full on mobile unit. in the meantime though, i'm looking at getting a handheld (a yaesu vx-5r to be exact) just to hold me over so i can get some on air experience.

my questions are:
could i just screw in my mobile antenna to the handheld to get a much better range?
is that going to cause any problems?
does anyone know if the antenna i have and the HT i mentioned are even compatible?

thanks for the help guys!

"we need a plan of attack."
"i have a plan...attack."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:02 pm 

NomadChad wrote:
i have a comet CA-2x4SRNMO dual-band antenna mounted on the quarter panel of my truck in preparation for when i have enough dough to pick up a full on mobile unit. in the meantime though, i'm looking at getting a handheld (a yaesu vx-5r to be exact) just to hold me over so i can get some on air experience.

my questions are:
could i just screw in my mobile antenna to the handheld to get a much better range?
is that going to cause any problems?
does anyone know if the antenna i have and the HT i mentioned are even compatible?

thanks for the help guys!

Yes, you can use the antenna, but you'll need an SMA - PL-259 adapter. Get the type with a short piece of coax between the two different ends, not the solid metal one. The reason being, SMA connections are notoriously fragile, so you want to limit how much stress you put on it. Having a big adapter on it can act as a lever, breaking it quite easily.

I'd also, strongly, suggest checking your SWR before using the radio, and periodically checking it every few months. Fender mounts take a bit of abuse, and don't always ground properly, which can lead to a high SWR. I have a friend who burned out the finals on a brand new Kenwood HT not too long ago. Without checking SWR he'd been using it with a mag mount he had. When he noticed it wasn't getting out the way he thought it should he sent it off to Kenwood for repair. They repaired it, but noted the damage was due to high SWR, and would not be under warranty if it happened again. At that point he figured the problem was with the stock rubber duck (it couldn't possibly be his high dollar mag mount antenna, right?) and checking with an analyzer seemed to bear that out, with the rubber duck reading as open. I gave him a new rubber duck from my stash of good quality ones and all was well. Until he hooked up a mobile rig to that same mag mount and noticed it automatically cut back on the power. He checked and that nice mag mount was showing an SWR of 9:1. Subsequent testing of his original rubber duck showed that it hadn't been screwed down far enough to make contact on his analyzer, which was why it read as open. It was, in fact, perfectly good. The mag mount antenna is what killed the HT.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 pm 

One more thing... You'll have to restrict yourself to 2m/70cm while using that antenna. The VX5R is a tri-bander (6m/2m/70cm) and that Comet will not work on 6m.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:02 am 

awesome info thanks! yeah I knew I'd have a band that I couldn't use but that wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'll have to look into getting an adapter though. thanks for the swr tip, a friend of mine actually gave me a meter a while back so I'll be sure to keep an eye on that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:07 pm 
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Just noticed this and thought I would pitch in and say that antenna is one of the best. I spent a long time looking around figuring out which antenna to buy for my truck (a fender mount, coincidentally) and the reviews everywere are estatic. I had very low SWR without adjusting the antenna at all. It's got great wideband reception as well, if your radio has wideband receive. I'm running a FT-7900R on it and I love it.

My Trauma Bag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:40 pm 

One consideration is that putting any kind of an adapter+longer rigid antenna onto an HT dramatically increases the odds of bumping the antenna and snapping the antenna connector right off the HT. This is especially problematic with SMA connectors.

A better solution would be to take the antenna and buy a mag-mount that it'll screw onto. Then connect that mag-mount to your HT. Put the mag mount on any bit of sheet metal, even a solar emergency blanket, and transmit.

If you mean using it while walking around, you're probably best served to buy an actual HT antenna for that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:16 am 

williaty wrote:
One consideration is that putting any kind of an adapter+longer rigid antenna onto an HT dramatically increases the odds of bumping the antenna and snapping the antenna connector right off the HT. This is especially problematic with SMA connectors.

A better solution would be to take the antenna and buy a mag-mount that it'll screw onto. Then connect that mag-mount to your HT. Put the mag mount on any bit of sheet metal, even a solar emergency blanket, and transmit.

If you mean using it while walking around, you're probably best served to buy an actual HT antenna for that.

I think you misunderstood the OP Will. He has a fender mount dual band antenna on his truck and just wants to be able to hook the HT to it while he's in the truck. We're talking coax to HT connection here, not trying to mount the antenna to the HT. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 am 

KJ4VOV wrote:
williaty wrote:

I think you misunderstood the OP Will. He has a fender mount dual band antenna on his truck and just wants to be able to hook the HT to it while he's in the truck. We're talking coax to HT connection here, not trying to mount the antenna to the HT. :D

Oh!

Yeah, totally misunderstood. Cheapassed eBay adapter all the way then!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:37 am 

I'll only add that a speaker/mike for the radio will make it so much more mobile-friendly, and increase your safety.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 am 

williaty wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
williaty wrote:

Oh!

Yeah, totally misunderstood. Cheapassed eBay adapter all the way then!

ha yeah you had me really scratching my head, i thought you might have misunderstood me somewhere.

TacAir wrote:
I'll only add that a speaker/mike for the radio will make it so much more mobile-friendly, and increase your safety.

that's exactly what i was thinking too. does anyone make a little vehicle mount for HTs so i can keep it stationary and just use the speaker mic?
(do you know any good ones off the top of your head i mean)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:47 am 

Tperkins wrote:
Just noticed this and thought I would pitch in and say that antenna is one of the best. I spent a long time looking around figuring out which antenna to buy for my truck (a fender mount, coincidentally) and the reviews everywere are estatic. I had very low SWR without adjusting the antenna at all. It's got great wideband reception as well, if your radio has wideband receive. I'm running a FT-7900R on it and I love it.

thanks for your input man, yeah i had this antenna recommended to me by a friend but just haven't been able to try it out yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:29 am 

NomadChad wrote:
TacAir wrote:

that's exactly what i was thinking too. does anyone make a little vehicle mount for HTs so i can keep it stationary and just use the speaker mic?
(do you know any good ones off the top of your head i mean)

Yes, HRO carries a number of different types of mounts. Everything from cup holder mounts to vent mounts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:22 am 

thanks for all the help guys but i just picked up an ic-706 + amp from a friend of mine at a price i just couldn't turn down. i think i'll enjoy it a whooole lot more than a handheld.
i'll be on the air in no time!