Pros and cons of posting callsign

Discussion forum for the ZS Amateur Radio Club

Moderator: ZS Board of Directors

Logans Run

Pros and cons of posting callsign

Post by Logans Run » Thu May 10, 2012 7:45 pm

I noticed quite a few people opting out of publishing their callsign.
it is public record on the FCC website.
I realize it would take quite a bit of homework to find someone this way ... but you are still on the interwebs.
so tell me ... what do you think the pros and cons are of posting your callsign?
Membership paid on May 3rd.
I've fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when.
California Bay Area Chapter ZSC:015
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Pros and cons of posting callsign

Post by crypto » Thu May 10, 2012 8:41 pm

I dont feel the need to post my real name and home address anywhere I dont have to.

Its the same reason my call isnt on my license plate.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 10, 2012 9:06 pm

I personally just don't give a fuck. If I piss someone off on the Internet enough for them to actually come looking for me, hiding my call sign isn't going to do diddly squat in terms of security.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Polie

Post by Polie » Thu May 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Logans Run wrote:I noticed quite a few people opting out of publishing their callsign.
I realize it would take quite a bit of homework to find someone this way ... but you are still on the interwebs.
so tell me ... what do you think the pros and cons are of posting your callsign?
Its actually super easy lol

Just enter call sign and you got a person address lol

http://www.arrl.org/advanced-call-sign-search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... mateur.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImage

Logans Run

Post by Logans Run » Thu May 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Polie wrote:
Logans Run wrote:I noticed quite a few people opting out of publishing their callsign.
Its actually super easy lol

Just enter call sign and you got a person address lol

http://www.arrl.org/advanced-call-sign-search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... mateur.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yeah ... I meant its not super easy to find someone without their callsign ... with the callsign its only a click away ... lots of sites for look up ... its kind of a HAM thing to know who you are "working" or talking to.
Membership paid on May 3rd.
I've fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when.
California Bay Area Chapter ZSC:015
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:59 pm

ARISE THREAD LONG SINCE DEAD!

I was reading this thread last week while I lurked in the ZSARC forums learning, and I came across this on craigslist today...

Just a heads up on why a PO box may be the way to go... ADDED BOLDING
Note to self. Get POBOX prior to getting license....

http://charleston.craigslist.org/bks/3166315777.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Survival Communications in South Carolina - $30 (Charleston)

Perhaps you have prepared for WTSHTF or TEOTWAWKI with respect to food, water, self-defense and shelter. But what about communication?

Whenever there is a disaster (hurricane, earthquake, economic collapse, nuclear war, EMF, solar eruption, etc.), the normal means of communication that we're all reliant upon (cell phone, land line phone, the Internet, etc.) will probably be, at best, sporadic and at worst, non-existent.

As this author sees it, short of smoke signals and mirrors, there are three options for communication in "trying times": (1) GMRS or FRS radios; (2) CB radios; and (3) ham or amateur radio.

In this book he considers each of these options to come up with the most acceptable one.

Included in this volume are the names and addresses of the approximately 9,300 FCC licensed amateur operators in South Carolina, organized by city, then sorted by street, then sorted by house number ... just in case.

13 - ISBN 978-1475084788
10 - ISBN 1475084781

Available from your favorite online or brick-and-mortar bookstore or directly from the publisher at:

Tutor Turtle Press LLC
1027 S. Pendleton St., Suite B-10
Easley, SC 29642
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 pm

SCBrian wrote:ARISE THREAD LONG SINCE DEAD!

I was reading this thread last week while I lurked in the ZSARC forums learning, and I came across this on craigslist today...

Just a heads up on why a PO box may be the way to go... ADDED BOLDING
Note to self. Get POBOX prior to getting license....

http://charleston.craigslist.org/bks/3166315777.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Survival Communications in South Carolina - $30 (Charleston)

Perhaps you have prepared for WTSHTF or TEOTWAWKI with respect to food, water, self-defense and shelter. But what about communication?

Whenever there is a disaster (hurricane, earthquake, economic collapse, nuclear war, EMF, solar eruption, etc.), the normal means of communication that we're all reliant upon (cell phone, land line phone, the Internet, etc.) will probably be, at best, sporadic and at worst, non-existent.

As this author sees it, short of smoke signals and mirrors, there are three options for communication in "trying times": (1) GMRS or FRS radios; (2) CB radios; and (3) ham or amateur radio.

In this book he considers each of these options to come up with the most acceptable one.

Included in this volume are the names and addresses of the approximately 9,300 FCC licensed amateur operators in South Carolina, organized by city, then sorted by street, then sorted by house number ... just in case.

13 - ISBN 978-1475084788
10 - ISBN 1475084781

Available from your favorite online or brick-and-mortar bookstore or directly from the publisher at:

Tutor Turtle Press LLC
1027 S. Pendleton St., Suite B-10
Easley, SC 29642
So? As has been said before, it's all public record. And you can use a PO Box. Or another address.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:31 am

KJ4VOV wrote: So? As has been said before, it's all public record. And you can use a PO Box. Or another address.
I think my concern is in the way it's presented - as a list of highly possible locations with a s/w radio. Although, yes - with a call sign, you could enter it and search for it. With this it's all broken down and separated out so you can make a 'shopping list' should you choose to.
As was said before by Logans Run & Polie:

"yeah ... I meant its not super easy to find someone without their callsign ... with the callsign its only a click away ..."

This takes all the guess work out of it and makes it an easy for anyone to find out who/where operators are...
But then again, maybe it's just me with some concern about other people knowing what I have/use.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:08 am

I dont post my real name or address on web forums as a matter of prudence. I dont see any real reason to change that.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:01 am

SCBrian wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote: So? As has been said before, it's all public record. And you can use a PO Box. Or another address.
I think my concern is in the way it's presented - as a list of highly possible locations with a s/w radio. Although, yes - with a call sign, you could enter it and search for it. With this it's all broken down and separated out so you can make a 'shopping list' should you choose to.
As was said before by Logans Run & Polie:

"yeah ... I meant its not super easy to find someone without their callsign ... with the callsign its only a click away ..."

This takes all the guess work out of it and makes it an easy for anyone to find out who/where operators are...
But then again, maybe it's just me with some concern about other people knowing what I have/use.
Well, here's how I see it:

During a disaster, in the PAW, etc., Internet access is going to be either non-existent or very limited. Odds are it's pretty much going to be impossible for the average person to suddenly get online and look up the location of their nearest ham. Unless they've done it beforehand, as part of their prep, the average person is going to be clueless. That brings us to preppers, folks like us, who have a plan and a clue. Now a true prepper is probably not going to need anything from the local ham because either A) they are the local ham, or B) they've already gotten their comms sorted out as part of their prep. A "hard core" prepper isn't going to be a problem for your average local ham. That leaves the half-assed, sorta preppers, the mall ninjas, and others of their ilk. Yes, they might have had the foresight to look up their local ham and note where they're located, either online or in a book like this. Will they "come calling"? Probably not. Any kind of disaster or emergency that's serious enough for them to want to visit their local ham is also likely to completely overwhelm them and their half-assed, ineffective preps. They'll be too busy trying to start their piece of crap Harbor Freight generator so they can inflate their air mattress with the plug in compressor they bought to even think about that local ham they looked up a couple of years ago, (and where did that address get written down anyway?).

I also think that in any true disaster movement is going to be very limited, at least initially. The chances of someone on the other side of the county having a copy of the book and "coming calling" with an eye towards doing illegal and immoral things are pretty damn slim. No, the people most likely to have any kind of impact on you during the first week or so of a disaster are going to be your immediate neighbors (who more than likely already know you're a ham), government agencies (who will already know you're a ham), rescue workers (who may or may not care that you're a ham, and who, if you are a ham, you're probably already working with), and the media (who might make a 15 second blurb about hams helping out and then pretty much ignore you afterwards), oh, and looters, who didn't have any foreknowledge of you or your equipment but who are attracted to all the shiny, and who provide a reasonable excuse to practice your Mogadishu Drill.

So, does this kind of book really have any impact on you or me? Probably not enough to be worth worrying about.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:07 am

crypto wrote:I dont post my real name or address on web forums as a matter of prudence. I dont see any real reason to change that.
And you shouldn't, if that's your choice and what you're comfortable with. Me, I could care less who knows my name and address. Hell, a million junk mail companies already do, and anyone with decent computer skills and a credit card can pretty much get whatever info they want about someone else. It is a very hard thing to be a true "grey man" in today's society, and folks who really want that level of anonymity generally do everything they can to stay out of all the databases, private and governmental. They are not hams, of that you can be pretty certain, and if they are hams you can bet your last dollar that the info in the ULS about them is a long cold trail.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:33 am

Couple of thoughts.

Hiding in plain sight -
When I visit a new area, a drive thru the nearby neighborhoods. I look for a few things, but mostly the large antenna(s) that normally mark the house holding a hambone.

It is possible to have a hidden antenna system, with the attendant loss of efficiency. I have found that type of antenna is mostly driven by restrictive HOA rules. I have seen crank up antennas that are all but invisible when not in use and have helped a guy put up a DDRR as well as a large-ish loop ant that looked for all the world like a really big clothesline. I've settled for painting my ant a dull gray - no invisible, but fairly low key.

SPAM! -
I don't post my callsign to try and reduce the sheer amount of spam snail mail coming to my PO box, but even that is a lost cause anymore.

Final thought -
Amateur service communications represent a way for folks to communicate long distances with little in the way of supporting infrastructure.
I have used radio comms as major plot points / a way to move the story along in several of my books as well.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Because I have a PO Box and no physical addy linked directly to my callsign I'm considering vanity plates and a change in nickname. When I get my Extra. In 2014 (target date).

Having a physical addy to look up seems mighty silly to me given the number of operators that are free with information about who is and isn't home and so on. Those folk may as well put a sign in the front yard that says "ROB ME BLIND!!!"

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:26 pm

TacAir wrote: SPAM! -
I don't post my callsign to try and reduce the sheer amount of spam snail mail coming to my PO box, but even that is a lost cause anymore.
I've not noticed any significant change in the junk mail I receive since getting my call and, as you can see, I'm not shy about using it online. Of course, every case/person is different, so what's true for me today may not have been true for you yesterday, and may change for both of us tomorrow.

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

TacAir wrote:Couple of thoughts.

Hiding in plain sight -
When I visit a new area, a drive thru the nearby neighborhoods. I look for a few things, but mostly the large antenna(s) that normally mark the house holding a hambone.

It is possible to have a hidden antenna system, with the attendant loss of efficiency. I have found that type of antenna is mostly driven by restrictive HOA rules. I have seen crank up antennas that are all but invisible when not in use and have helped a guy put up a DDRR as well as a large-ish loop ant that looked for all the world like a really big clothesline. I've settled for painting my ant a dull gray - no invisible, but fairly low key.

SPAM! -

Final thought -
Amateur service communications represent a way for folks to communicate long distances with little in the way of supporting infrastructure.
I have used radio comms as major plot points / a way to move the story along in several of my books as well.

Just thought you would find this interesting.

http://www.g4ilo.com/stealth.html
Presisdent: ZSC:041

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 pm

KJ4VOV wrote: I've not noticed any significant change in the junk mail I receive since getting my call and, as you can see, I'm not shy about using it online. Of course, every case/person is different, so what's true for me today may not have been true for you yesterday, and may change for both of us tomorrow.
Arent you supposed to be limited to zombie combat tactics?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 am

crypto wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote: I've not noticed any significant change in the junk mail I receive since getting my call and, as you can see, I'm not shy about using it online. Of course, every case/person is different, so what's true for me today may not have been true for you yesterday, and may change for both of us tomorrow.
Nope, but if you have a problem with my posting here I suggest you contact a mod or admin.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:42 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
crypto wrote:
Nope, but if you have a problem with my posting here I suggest you contact a mod or admin.
I am an admin, so that would be redundant.

On the bright side, your group manipulation to evade time-out for a few days will result in us being more diligent in how we enforce time-out in the future.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:45 am

It was quite a discussion last year. People deserve what privacy they would like to have on ZS. Yes it is public knowledge if you look in the right places, but it's like recommending people not to post their tag #'s on the forum as well.

Personal preferences are honored :wink:
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 am

crypto wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
crypto wrote:
I am an admin, so that would be redundant.

On the bright side, your group manipulation to evade time-out for a few days will result in us being more diligent in how we enforce time-out in the future.
"evade"? Hardly, but being an admin surely you must understand that. Or maybe not... PM coming. No need to clutter this thread with this discussion. Apologies NoAm.

Sent using secret methods known only to squirrels.

And selected hamsters.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:05 am

Send it to admin.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 am

crypto wrote:Send it to admin.
crypto wrote: I am an admin, so that would be redundant.
:?

The Sentinel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Falling Sky's

Post by The Sentinel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Hello, here is my 2 cents :)
The bottom line is the address is for FCC notifications as required. you dont have to live there just have access to the mail. :mrgreen:
"If blood is the price of Victory, then my enemies shall pay in full!"

charadeur
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by charadeur » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Well for me it is simple. If this was a ham radio only forum I would use my call sign. You are right that it is easy for someone to trace my name and address from my call sign. In a ham radio forum all they would know is I am a active ham and may have some radio equipment. However in this forum we discuss firearms, and our preps. I don't want people to be able to put those two things together and decide it would be worth coming after me.
I may be the one walking away, but you're the one that's leaving.

Return to “Zombie Squad Radio Club”