It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:22 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

With as many hamfests and ham radio related events the Atlanta chapter attends, I wanted our chapter to be recognized as a group with ham radio enthusiasts. From a distance. This called for a banner to show our support of the Zombie Squad Radio Club. I already have a system of poles to hoist the ZS Flag high in the air, and the flag is 3'x5', which called for the banner to be 5 feet wide as well. The ZSRC logo is circular, which means the height is also 5 feet. This is a very high resolution image required for 5'x5', with a recommended 100dpi for banners, far more than anything produced to date, at least 6000x6000.

• First up was obtaining permission from ZSHQ for creating a banner in the first place, you know, that limited-single-use license to use a logo on printed material. Done.
  • Then, reaching out to the original artists for permission, both Davo who originally designed the logo, and Purple_Mutant for recreating it in large format for the 3" patches we all love. Specifically, I needed from them the original files used to create the logo, in as high resolution as possible, in this case 1800x1800. Done.
  • Third, I needed to convert the static raster image file to a scalable vector graphics file, so it looks just as good (if not better) magnified as it does in people's signatures. For this, I used VectorMagic. Done.
  • Now, all that's left was finding a print shop with reasonable prices. For me, StickersBanners not only has their print shop just down the road, but offers $1.49 per square foot vinyl banners, the best price I've seen by far. Not only is it cheap to print, but I was able to pick it up in person for free. They ship all over the country for just $10. To recap, that's about $40 for the banner, ~$50 if the banner needs to be shipped.

To make my progress available to any chapter that wants their own banner, I've sent the graphics files I used to ZSHQ in my report. This way, when you're following the first step and requesting your limited-single-use license from chapters@zs, they should be able to supply you with not only permission, but the files needed to send to the printer of your choice. StickersBanners does a good job, but if you find some place that works better for your location, by all means use what is most convenient.

--The 2016 Atlanta Hamfest

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:09 pm 

Had I known you were looking for the original raster images...

At least I think I still have them. I had a 2tb hdd die on me a couple years back that may have taken them with it, but I'm pretty sure I have copies around here somewhere, possibly on the drive that preceded the failed drive, which is in my closet.