It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any D-STAR fans?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:35 pm 

I've been playing around with D-STAR the past several weeks.

We have a semi-functional D-STAR repeater here in the county right now (local repeating only), and with some work I've been able to access repeaters 40-70 miles away across the border in Canada.

For my location, it seems to offer some interesting capabilities in "semi-bad" emergencies, in that the Canadians have infrastructure for power and communications that is considerably isolated from what I have in my county, and when things are dark here, it'd be real handy to use their repeaters to gateway over to Someplace Useful.

And even our local repeater is useful, in that every Tom, Dick, and Harry with their $30 Baofengs isn't cluttering it up in times of trouble.

Any of you folks use D-STAR? Might be fun to set up a ZS D-STAR net.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Any D-STAR fans?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:36 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I've been looking for an excuse to try it (and PSK31). Can you walk us through the basics?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:56 pm 

"And even our local repeater is useful, in that every Tom, Dick, and Harry with their $30 Baofengs isn't cluttering it up in times of trouble."

How odd. I've listened to repeaters all over the western US, and rarely hear them in use.

It might be that even smaller places have eleventydozen machines, but even here in the banana belt, I rarely hear any traffic. I'm assuming that between cheap cell phone rates and the loss of so many OF to SK status, U/VHF is nearly dead in some places.

PSK work is fun tho.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:08 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

We have 2 sites located on Long Island, NY covering about half of the island and another couple of groups have 3 repeaters west of us into Manhattan which gives pretty solid coverage except for some of the easternmost points. There are more repeaters and hotspots going upstate to Albany and down through NJ into Philidelphia. Most of these UHF DStar machines are on reflector 20A so there's coverage over the region. The 2 sites I work on have emergency power but the internet connection is not hardened, so in the event of another Hurricane or ice storm we could lose some of the interconnection. My club is starting to work on an HSMM Mesh network with wifi routers and this may eventually allow us to put the 2 repeaters together on our own back haul.

Otherwise, it's a lot of fun, the low speed data is handy also. I've used call sign routing when my wife was traveling to South Carolina, only having to signal her by call sign, not having to worry about what repeater she's on or where she is, and that was pretty cool.

Ham Radio Outlet had a pretty good sale on DStar stuff around the end of NOV, a lot more folks in my club picked up radios there. It seems like the prices of radios may be coming down a bit, good news there...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have a buddy who is a huge d-star fan. He is putting in a repeater at his house. I am just not ready to buy a new radio yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:23 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

D-STAR is pretty cool. I have two concerns about it. The main concern is that it relies on the internet. To me that makes it a non starter for emergency communications. Even with that limitation lots of ARES groups use it, I can't understand why. If the internet goes out they lose the communication system that they train with. Also you have to have an ICOM radio to use it (for the most part). That limits its usefulness as a broad reaching communications method since only a certain percentage of people have D-STAR capable radios.

Winlink (used for email/messaging over HF via WINMOR or PACTOR or VHF via packet) now has an internet only mode if the internet servers go down. It probably wont happen but if you could add long distance HF links to the D-STAR system for loss of internet that would take care of the first issue, although traffic would be more limited because of limited HF bandwidth.

Because of issue number one I'm not going to invest in a different radio just to have the ability to use D-STAR, no matter how great it is.

That is just my take on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I think that is a great point and kind of what I was thinking as well. The whole idea of ham radio is that it is robust and works when everything else fails. Our Skywarn group uses two repeaters and a simplex frequency for the weekly test. One repeater is north of town and one is south.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:02 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Willy_F wrote:
My club is starting to work on an HSMM Mesh network with wifi routers and this may eventually allow us to put the 2 repeaters together on our own back haul.

does HSSM-Mesh work on any routers made in the last couple years? The last time I looked, it was unfortunately limited to the WRT54G series, which have been out of production for years.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:24 pm 

They just announced that several of the very popular Ubiquiti devices can now be used. Check out their home page.

For dstar you can get a USB dongle for a cheap radio.

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:06 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

CitizenZ wrote:
They just announced that several of the very popular Ubiquiti devices can now be used. Check out their home page.

Oh hell yes, thanks a lot. Thats awesome.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:21 pm 

Oh, and the WRT54G is still available new and refurbished. I've been debating do the mesh thing for a while too.

http://store.linksys.com/outlet/Router/ ... ewprod.htm

Maybe this needs it's own thread...

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Okay well I went to the dark side. Just got an Icom 92ad. Military grade and submersible. Just started playing with D-Star. Got the local repeater and have been approved for connecting to other reflectors. Just have not figured out how to yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:05 pm 

CitizenZ wrote:
Oh, and the WRT54G is still available new and refurbished. I've been debating do the mesh thing for a while too.

http://store.linksys.com/outlet/Router/ ... ewprod.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe this needs it's own thread...

Doesn't mesh only work on certain versions I wanna say 1-5 only, they still make this model but are up to revision 7 I think I've got a version 6 and the website said mine will not work. Mine is over 2 years old as well.