Portable ham setup for tactical operations?

Discussion forum for the ZS Amateur Radio Club

Moderator: ZS Board of Directors

Ace45acp

Portable ham setup for tactical operations?

Post by Ace45acp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Hey everybody,
I'm new to AR and lean towards tactical and emergency use. I'll be sitting for my technician exam on the 3rd.

I was looking for recommendations/guidance on building a set up that would have the ability to be carried in a radio pouch in molle gear and be PTT capable, and be able to hook up to an amplifier in a vehicle to say reach 4-500 miles away or at-least catch repeaters to get there.

Like I said still new too this and still working through my study guide for the exam so forgive me if my terminology isn't quite there.

Shout out to Mrs and Mr NoAm in WNC for suggesting getting licensed and plugged in.

taipan821

Re: Portable ham setup for tactical operations?

Post by taipan821 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Ace45acp wrote:Hey everybody,
I'm new to AR and lean towards tactical and emergency use. I'll be sitting for my technician exam on the 3rd.

I was looking for recommendations/guidance on building a set up that would have the ability to be carried in a radio pouch in molle gear and be PTT capable, and be able to hook up to an amplifier in a vehicle to say reach 4-500 miles away or at-least catch repeaters to get there.
question, can your tech licence class use D-star? if so, where and when will this radio be used?
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Return to “Zombie Squad Radio Club”