STL or midwest comm

Discussion forum for the ZS Amateur Radio Club

Moderator: ZS Board of Directors

hank_612
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

STL or midwest comm

Post by hank_612 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Would any of you guys in stl or somewhere near like to get some practice setting up a simple comm link and maybe passing a encrypted message or something like that.

I can send out a key and freq and when can set up a time. All I need to know is what band (cb 10 20 2 ect) and what time date works for you. If I have to build a dipole or something it may take a week.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: STL or midwest comm

Post by crypto » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Encrypted comms are a no-go on the amateur and citizens bands, just as an FYI.

In the Saint Louis crew, Jamoni, Kyle, and O are the big ham guys. We usually use the clayton repeater thats on 146.940 for metro-area comms, and the south grand repeater on 145.something for when we're all in the city.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

hank_612
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by hank_612 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Hmmmmmmmm

Q codes and ten codes and Morse code are encryption right? No they are ways of encoding. I have read and asked others for their interpretation of part 97 in regards to this. A code that is public knowledge though useless is kosher. It seems a ZS code format ie. a is O z is 25 would be good practice but if you guys think better of it I will stfu.I was just trying to get myself and someone else some practice at mission specific comms. Setting up gear for a purpose is much different than banging the same repeater regularly. Ymmv

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:40 am

Yeah, I'm tracking. A few people around here have a general ticket but most of us are just techs, so HF is off limits and we're stuck using repeaters. STL is too big for simplex 2m.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

hank_612
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by hank_612 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:48 am

Techs have 28.3 to 28.5 10 meter voice I thought. 6 meter might also be viable simplex.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Thats true, but its such a narrow hunk of phone frequency that techs arent going to drop $500+ on a HF radio to talk on it :D

One of these days I'm going to get my general and set up a metro-wide NVIS net.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm

crypto wrote:Thats true, but its such a narrow hunk of phone frequency that techs arent going to drop $500+ on a HF radio to talk on it :D

One of these days I'm going to get my general and set up a metro-wide NVIS net.
You bring the gear, I'll bring the ticket. :P
Got a couple books on NVIS prop if you want them, BTW.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

hank_612
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by hank_612 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:00 pm

If money is the issue PM me I will hook you up with a 10m on me. Otherwise its time for a zs 10m net.

Ambrose
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Ambrose » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:22 pm

I'd be game for a metro nvis. Of course I'd have to get my hf set working better first. And General isn't all that hard to cram for. You can probably do it in a long weekend if you're relatively disciplined and motivated.
Amateur Extra Class Ham Radio Operator Check out The Zombie Squad Radio Club to learn more.

hank_612
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by hank_612 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:18 pm

I would even be up for a weekly or monthly zs cb network but 10 meter would be my preference. I am just trying to get some locals thinking about emergency comm. We rely to much on the government and media to tell us what is going on. If cells phones internet and TV go out I would like to see a predetermined pretested network for zs members. Oh and I don't trust me repeaters as much as I trust HF.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed May 01, 2013 6:20 pm

without the internet how will you know what bands are open :D
MF'N TEAM LEADER

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon May 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Q codes and ten codes and Morse code are encryption right? No they are ways of encoding. I have read and asked others for their interpretation of part 97 in regards to this. A code that is public knowledge though useless is kosher
how about a code that is published on-line to get used to the format (and mechanics of working in code), and only change the key to a privet one during an emergency.

hank_612
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by hank_612 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 pm

I like the way you think :clap:

Return to “Zombie Squad Radio Club”