Echolink?

Discussion forum for the ZS Amateur Radio Club

Moderator: ZS Board of Directors

cobra6987

Echolink?

Post by cobra6987 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Are the nets held on anything connected to Echolink? I don't have an HF rig yet and probably wont for a good while :-(
Presisdent: ZSC:041

DocGary

Re: Echolink?

Post by DocGary » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:53 pm

I am wondering the same....anyone???
KD8QLO
QTH locator : FN44UB

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:10 am

This is the fourth line of the first post of every [Net] announcement: "We will be meeting on Echolink on the UNODE Conference." :)

You are both more than welcome to join us during one of our nets.

Any other questions?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

crockett

Post by crockett » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Sad that a chapter president would not know this. This is not knocking you cobra6987, it is sad that ZS does not communicate this to chapters. Can't expect people to join if no one knows, especially chapter presidents.

Just my .02 cents :words:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:30 pm

crockett wrote:Sad that a chapter president would not know this. This is not knocking you cobra6987, it is sad that ZS does not communicate this to chapters. Can't expect people to join if no one knows, especially chapter presidents.

How so? ZSARC is effectively just another chapter, and nets are the equivalent of chapter meetings. Are all chapter presidents notified about all other chapter meetings?
It seems logical to me that if I wanted to know more about a chapter's meetings, such as when and where they are held, I'd go visit that chapter's area and read some of the meeting announcements to find that information.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

crockett

Post by crockett » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
crockett wrote:Sad that a chapter president would not know this. This is not knocking you cobra6987, it is sad that ZS does not communicate this to chapters. Can't expect people to join if no one knows, especially chapter presidents.

How so? ZSARC is effectively just another chapter, and nets are the equivalent of chapter meetings. Are all chapter presidents notified about all other chapter meetings?
It seems logical to me that if I wanted to know more about a chapter's meetings, such as when and where they are held, I'd go visit that chapter's area and read some of the meeting announcements to find that information.
If they point of ZSARC is to be another chapter then I see your point. But if it is to be an extension or tool for all chapters then I feel my point is valid.

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:47 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:

I'd look at it as yes, it does function as it's own make-shift chapter, but the fact that it's over the airwaves means you don't have to leave the house (or where ever your station is). Do I want to hear about New York's meetings? no, because I'm not going to spend $1,000+ for me to attend a 2 hour meeting or 5 hour event. Being as ZSARC is an international meeting and only have to be at a station near you, shouldn't there be some sort of reminder or mass spreading of ZSARC events? I know with my chapter we send reminders monthly meetings and events on a regular basis (plus or minus a couple days).

My question is, how many people don't know about ZSARC because it got lost in the threads? I mention it at our meetings and a couple are planning to become HAM's when they have the time.

crockett

Post by crockett » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm

That was my original point, if ZS Chapter Presidents new more of the ZSARC, then they could tell there members about it and hopefully get more then 2 people on a net.

It's all about spreading the word. Let people know what is available to them.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm not saying that you folks don't have valid concerns and opinions, but looking at it from a purely logical standpoint it seems to me that having ZSARC's chapter area stand out by itself in the ZS Chapters area, as it is now, should alleviate the issue of it being "lost in the threads". It's right there for all to see, on the index page of the forums, if they have an interest in it.

I think the area that needs to be looked at is why people don't seem to be reading the announcements that are being made. For example, NoAm, as ZSARC president, posts a notification of each net prior to it being held on the air. She marks those notices with "[Net]" so they'll stand out, and each one has complete info as to the date and time of the net, that it will be done via Echolink, and that it will be held in the UNODE conference. That's pretty specific information, made public in a timely manner in an area listed on the main page of the forums. Yet two of you had to post and ask if we use Echolink. Why? That's the part that makes me wonder. Why are the posts with that information clearly spelled out not being read by people who are looking for that information?

Until that question is answered, and a fix found, I question if it would really do any good to direct PM or email chapter presidents with that info because it may not get read either.

crockett

Post by crockett » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:I'm not saying that you folks don't have valid concerns and opinions, but looking at it from a purely logical standpoint it seems to me that having ZSARC's chapter area stand out by itself in the ZS Chapters area, as it is now, should alleviate the issue of it being "lost in the threads". It's right there for all to see, on the index page of the forums, if they have an interest in it.

I think the area that needs to be looked at is why people don't seem to be reading the announcements that are being made. For example, NoAm, as ZSARC president, posts a notification of each net prior to it being held on the air. She marks those notices with "[Net]" so they'll stand out, and each one has complete info as to the date and time of the net, that it will be done via Echolink, and that it will be held in the UNODE conference. That's pretty specific information, made public in a timely manner in an area listed on the main page of the forums. Yet two of you had to post and ask if we use Echolink. Why? That's the part that makes me wonder. Why are the posts with that information clearly spelled out not being read by people who are looking for that information?

Until that question is answered, and a fix found, I question if it would really do any good to direct PM or email chapter presidents with that info because it may not get read either.

Very valid points!

It would be nice if they could poll ZS members and see how many of them even know ZS has an active Radio Club Nets. I bet many of them don't.

So how do you get the word out?

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:36 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:I'm not saying that you folks don't have valid concerns and opinions, but looking at it from a purely logical standpoint it seems to me that having ZSARC's chapter area stand out by itself in the ZS Chapters area, as it is now, should alleviate the issue of it being "lost in the threads". It's right there for all to see, on the index page of the forums, if they have an interest in it.

I'm not on the forum every day all day so I don't even see the [NET] announcements until after they happen. If there was a locked post "ZSARC Meeting and NET information" That stated These dates, this time, these freq, and echo link info would be extremely handy. The net announcements only state "Tonight at ..." and not set time's and dates that its on. I'll take that I'm to blame for not reading the entire post word for word but when its giving info for an event that already happened I skip over it and see if there was any traffic of value passed that was noted.
Why are the posts with that information clearly spelled out not being read by people who are looking for that information?
Because it's not posted where one would think it would be. You have the "READ ME FIRST - ZSARC Forum Introduction" that says nothing about it. "ZSARC Reminder " nadda, "ZSARC Meeting Minutes" nope, "Zombie Squad Amateur Radio Club" still nothing, did I read all 300+ posts? No, a bunch of talking about everything else HAM. My point is, why would you look somewhere for information if you don't think it's going to be there? I'm not going to go to kids foot locker to find shoes for my self.

Until that question is answered, and a fix found,....
Question answered, Fix - Create the topic at the top that says "ZSARC Meeting and NET information" and put meeting information there.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Great and valid points everyone.
1. Sorry about any confusion with Echolink. I will ask someone to tag some of the important threads, so everyone can see the info without having to dig through a bunch of posts. I can see how this would easily be missed.

2. During our last Net Meeting we discussed setting dates for the Net Meetings.
We decided we will hold Net meetings on the 2nd and 4th Sunday's of the month, 7:00 PM EST on the Echolink UNODE.
I know it's been hard to track when the net meetings will be held, hopefully that will help clear this up.

3. We also discussed doing a drop in style meeting from 7:00 - 9:00 PM. The problem with this is there are other net meetings that are
held before and after ours, so we are only able to do the 1 hour meeting for now.

I will discuss adding the info for ZSARC, with the other Chapter Coordinators, or see about adding the info to the Chapter Officers forum.

I hope this has helped. :wink:
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

Return to “Zombie Squad Radio Club”