Paddle trip in the ADKs June 8-10

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed May 09, 2012 9:24 am

I'm planning a paddle trip in the Adirondacks for the weekend of June 8-10. The basic idea is paddling to a campsite, and from there either exploring more lakes and ponds, doing some hikes, or fishing.

I hope there is interest in this trip.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Re: Possible paddle trip in the ADKs June 8-10

Post by Jamie » Wed May 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Trip Particulars:

Bog River to Lows Lake
June 8th at 10:30am to June 10th at 3pm
Meeting at 44.115082,-74.62605

GoogleMap - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202 ... 303c&msa=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DEC writeup - http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/38963.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trip report - http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?1260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trip report #2 - http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/artic ... rflow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

macgyver1991

Re: Paddle trip in the ADKs June 8-10

Post by macgyver1991 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:32 pm

Might work for me, I'll check the calendar. I would only be there for the Friday and Saturday.

So, forgive the dumb question but, are we paddling upstream on day one then flowing back down stream at the end of the trip? Just curious as to how these things go, I've never been on a paddle trip before. I do have a kayak but it's barely used(i do plan on fixing that).

But it really sounds cool. I'll see if I can make it!!
"And Here, We, Go!" -Joker, The Dark Knight

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu May 10, 2012 4:47 am

Yup, out and back from the same location...some trips are different, but this trip is out and back.

Jamie

Sent from my iPad by the power of Greyskull!

Swoop411

Post by Swoop411 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 pm

-----------------------------------
Last edited by Swoop411 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macgyver1991

Post by macgyver1991 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Looking it over, My route of travel is taking Route 3 west through Star Lake, Cranberry, then wrapping around Tupper and coming up 421 around horseshoe lake then hitting the dam at bog river. Google Maps says it will take me around a hour to get around Cranberry and still stay on the highway. HOWEVER, I happen to own a Jeep with a 4ish lift kit and I did a bit of searching on Google maps and found the Adirondack park preserve road that comes out just north of Cranberry. Since we will be traveling the 421 end of that road anyway, do y'all think it is possible to take the park road just north of Cranberry and go south? To my best calculations, I would be traveling about 14.5 miles on the park road (vs. 40 miles on the highway)and was wondering how tralvelable (yes i just made up that word) that road is? Anybody ever traveled on these roads?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon May 14, 2012 7:13 pm

I've noodled around on those roads, but never used them as a shortcut...good luck..it might be a fun adventure!

J

Sent from my iPad by the power of Greyskull!

macgyver1991

Post by macgyver1991 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Sorry, I gotta bail out on this one. Summertime on a dairy farm gets busy awful quick and i'm needed on the farm. I hope y'all have a good time.....might join you next time.

-George

roykin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland and i know its not a movie but the walking dead

Post by roykin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:07 pm

i would love to go but im on call that weekened for work. hope thats not the only one for the year
12 bravo u.s. army
0331 u.s.m.c.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:08 pm

roykin wrote:i would love to go but im on call that weekened for work. hope thats not the only one for the year
I'll probably do a trip every month throug the fall...

Jamie

roykin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland and i know its not a movie but the walking dead

Post by roykin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 am

cool deff be checking them out
12 bravo u.s. army
0331 u.s.m.c.

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Post by Arcknitect » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:05 pm

after a very long week rebuilding the cabin theLight and I are sitting this one out. :(
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:10 pm

laditek wrote:after a very long week rebuilding the cabin theLight and I are sitting this one out. :(
I hope to see you guys later in the summer for a trip.

Jamie

Posted from my iPad using emphatic gestures!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:49 pm

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 421a2c020c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was a fun trip...

Jamie

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”