Echolink...silly toy or cool networking tool?

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Echolink...silly toy or cool networking tool?

Post by Jamie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:04 am

Howdy ZSNY!

I got my Ham license a year or two ago, and haven't done much with it until now...I'm connecting with some local guys that do emergency comms, along with support for some outdoor events. Of particular interest to me is an annual canoe race up here, the 90 miler, which covers some pretty and wild country in the backwoods of the ADKs, and makes use of a series of amateur radio geeks to provide assistance at checkpoints and for first aid and other emergencies.

To that end, I've been listening to some local repeaters to try and learn how things work before jumping in and screwing up (I've reached out to a couple locals during a weekly chat, but am still worried about making some mistake that ends up with black helicopters landing in my yard).

I also downloaded the echolink software, and got that up and running on my computer (and ipod)...I initially dismissed it as a skype knockoff with a ham-twist...but this morning I found an active repeater in Los Angeles and listened for a while to a conversation between a few Angelinos, and some people in Mexico...after listening for a while and waiting for a break, I transmitted my callsign and that I was monitoring. I got replies from people on both sides of the border, and after a couple of minutes of back and forth signed off.

While I thought that was cool enough on its own, it occurred to me that if we could find an echolink enabled repeater in NY, we could have a ZSNY meeting, with some people using their radios, and others using echolink...

I'm interested in what, if any, other uses the ZSNY brainstrust can come up with for echolink, and/or other ways to communicate using amateur radio in this big state of ours.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Re: Echolink...silly toy or cool networking tool?

Post by charlie505 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Jamie
I have been thinking about echo-link for a while.
I finally got my headphones and mic working on my MacBook. I will down load the software as soon as I can and try it out.
Is the software user friendly?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 pm

I had trouble dealing with the firewall configuration when installing it on my laptop, but the installation on my ipad and ipod was ridiculously easy...

I'm trying now to think of ways that I could use Echolink for ZS-tastic purposes:
1) farm-fresh info from a disaster site
2) maintain contact with am-radio net without my radio (forgotten/broken)
3) remote contact with am-radio net (ie - there's an EL node on a repeater in Albany that I can access)
4) contact someone without email/internet access
5) ????

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 am

If this can be installed on a computer, what's to stop non-licensed operators from using it? I'm only marginally familiar with ham, myself, since a few friends over the years have been into it, and no experience with echolink itself at all.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:18 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote:If this can be installed on a computer, what's to stop non-licensed operators from using it? I'm only marginally familiar with ham, myself, since a few friends over the years have been into it, and no experience with echolink itself at all.
They have a system for verifying your license before you can log in...

Jamie

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Jamie wrote:
KnightoftheRoc wrote:If this can be installed on a computer, what's to stop non-licensed operators from using it? I'm only marginally familiar with ham, myself, since a few friends over the years have been into it, and no experience with echolink itself at all.
They have a system for verifying your license before you can log in...

Jamie
Ah, thank you. I've thought about getting into ham, it's certainly affordable if you don't become a gear junkie, once you get set up, and I've already installed the antennas before (no one else was crazy enough to make the climb).
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”