The "Elevator Speech"- thoughts and input

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

KnightoftheRoc

The "Elevator Speech"- thoughts and input

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:45 pm

My own version goes something like this: "You keep a spare tire in your car, right? Why? In case you NEED it. Fire extinguisher in your home, of course- same reason. Smoke detectors? You have these things not to USE, but just in case you might need them- in other words, in an emergency. We use the zombie movie scenario as a metaphor, where the zombies represent an emergency situation- that flat tire, stove fire, or smoke alarm going off, can all be "zombies". We don't actually think the dead will rise and eat our brains, they just represent Life's little "surprises".

If your hands are free to do so, feel free to use the "air quotes" motion where applicable, it helps show that terms like 'zombie' are being used in a lighthearted manner. The above is just my own, off the cuff version of how I explain the idea- feel free to borrow or alter it for your own use. But, let's see what YOU are planning to use if asked about your spiffy new ZS paraphernalia.
Last edited by KnightoftheRoc on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

snowsoldier

ZSNY Elevator Speech

Post by snowsoldier » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:32 pm

ALCON:

During the November ZSNY meeting at Wolff's, we discussed the importance of coming up with an "elevator speech," a 10-15 second description of who we are and what we do. If we can keep it to 4-5 concise sentences, that would be ideal. As people ask us what that sticker on our car is, what's that logo on your shirt, or why did ZS replace the S on Superman's chest, we should be able to give them a quick, comprehensive and clear idea of who we are AND to bait the hook for them to ask a follow up question with the ultimate goal of having them ask for a card or where they can find more information or join.
Let's keep this forum to a brainstorming session and look to maybe have something final or, at the very least, whittled down to a rough draft at next month's meeting. With all that being said, let me get this started:

Q: What does ZS stand for/mean?
A: Glad you asked! It stands for Zombie Squad which is an organization that....
MOLON LABE
Non Timebo Mala

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Re: The "Elevator Speech"- thoughts and input

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 pm

I use the spare tire/first aid kit example whenever I talk about how a pre-nup is a good idea and not at all insulting to your future-spouse. Pretty sure I got it from a sig line somewhere in here. My argument goes something like, "Well of COURSE you don't want the marriage to fail, but for a few hundred bucks, isn't it worth the trouble to have something already sorted out that causes so many people so much frustration and anger?"

As for why I talk about pre-nups, I'll say two commonly accepted statistics are that two out of three marriages end in divorce, and most happen after five years. I work in an industry that's largely middle-aged men who are already pretty grouchy to begin with because of the job, which I'm sure is at least a little responsible for their stressed social unions. Personally, I don't subscribe to quite that much pessimism.

I think I also equate it to health- and car insurance. Which is a considerably larger waste of money if you never have to use it, but nobody ever argues against either, except the huge bite they take out of your paycheck. And divorce is probably more common than car accidents.

Holy shit, that's a sad line.

Back on topic, I think a good elevator speech might be just that about insurance. "You know how you pay into your health insurance plan, but you hope you don't have to use it? Zombie Squad is health insurance against improbable eventualities. You hope you never need us, and you probably never will, but we like to stay sharp anyway."

I might be thinking in terms of pickup lines at the moment. That sounds a little 1980's Delta Force.

Not much of a way to avoid being looked at as a weirdo, now that I think about it. Maybe if you broke it all the way down and said "We're survival enthusiasts". The word "preppers" feels like a tinfoil hat on me.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Re: ZSNY Elevator Speech

Post by Famine » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:43 pm

I've been turning this over in my head, and I should have some more input AFTER the Giants win tomorrow.
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Re: ZSNY Elevator Speech

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:59 pm

This post will probably not add anything useful, I'm high on good coffee and sticky buns.

"We're like the Sierra Club, but with diesel fuel, gunpowder, and bacon."

"Especially bacon."

I'm actually trying to come up with an angle to get some zombie-curious friends onto the forum. They're well-learned about the idea of zombie apocalypse, but only armchair-interested in survival and wilderness skills.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

snowsoldier

Re: The "Elevator Speech"- thoughts and input

Post by snowsoldier » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 pm

These are all great. Keep them coming please! Encourage others... ask your friends to describe what it is they think we do. I apologize I haven't been to the monthly meetings this winter, I work as a snowboard coach on the weekends, but as spring is upon us, I look forward to attending the next one. When is it BTW?
MOLON LABE
Non Timebo Mala

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”