Monthly Meetings in Albany?

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Monthly Meetings in Albany?

Post by thelight » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:44 am

At the Zombie Prom this past weekend, there was interest from the community in having monthly meetings in Albany. So here are some initial questions/discussion points:

What to do?
Talking about zombies only goes so far. Should we have agenda items to discus or should we keep it informal? Perhaps a brief discussion/presentation and then informal?

Location?
Where? If we want to do presentations, we'll need a place to do it. If we want to keep it informal, a bar would do nicely. Any recommendations?

When?
This is the killer for many people. I'm in NYC and could only make it on weekends. I'd like to see something happen on, say, the second Saturday/Sunday of the month. However if the majority of people are only free during the week, then that would be better for the group.

So, discuss away!
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

agreco
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Monthly Meetings in Albany?

Post by agreco » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Since I live in Albany, any location is fine with me (bars are good). I'm available weekends and weeknights. Since I'm new I wont impose any more opinions. Just looking forward to meeting you guys and getting together.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:18 pm

weekends are good for me. other then zombies we have food prep, communications fortafactions.....tons of stuff to talk about.
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

DeadZone73

Post by DeadZone73 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:30 pm

New member to the site. I would be interested in meeting up. I can make it to weekends and with advanced notice, weekday evenings..

snowsoldier

Post by snowsoldier » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Yeah, I'm in too. I'm a new member, but think it would be great to share some beers and wings with my ZS allies! Does anyone have an objection to 5 pm second Saturday of each month? So, that would make the first one Nov 12. We could could alternate the bar... er, meeting location in the Albany area month to month. Would any one be adverse to going to Wolff's Bier Garten (I think that's what it's called) for November? I realize not everyone can make it, but I think if we could get at least 4 people to come, that would be a great start. And then we can plan the Christmas party!
MOLON LABE
Non Timebo Mala

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:04 pm

snowsoldier wrote:Yeah, I'm in too. I'm a new member, but think it would be great to share some beers and wings with my ZS allies! Does anyone have an objection to 5 pm second Saturday of each month? So, that would make the first one Nov 12. We could could alternate the bar... er, meeting location in the Albany area month to month. Would any one be adverse to going to Wolff's Bier Garten (I think that's what it's called) for November? I realize not everyone can make it, but I think if we could get at least 4 people to come, that would be a great start. And then we can plan the Christmas party!
That time and place sounds good to me. I think I can add a +1, and perhaps +3 to meeting at that date/time but I'll need to confirm with them. Other folk's thoughts?
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:42 am

sounds good to me. As long as I don't have ot, I think that's the week I"m off but will confirm. love me some beer and wings!
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Todd Gdula

Post by Todd Gdula » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:03 am

I'm in Northern Dutchess so Albany on the weekend is good. Probably can't make the 12th but I can probably attend once in a while. I'm big on bladesmithing and that'll probably be my best and biggest contribution both on the boards and at meetings.
Member, American Bladesmith Society & New England Bladesmith Guild

http://www.toddblades.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:23 am

I'm in Kingston, so the travel isn't too bad, and I work nights, so day or evenings would be best for me. With enough advance notice, I can even shift-swap with someone at work to get the time free. I do currently have a transportation issue, though, so I'd need to either borrow a car, or arrange transportation in trade for gas money with someone heading north. I'd like to see if regular meetings would be a good thing, and the only way to find out is by trying it out.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 am

I can set us up to meet on the 12th, and have some ZS lierature on hand. I'd like to use that opportunity to help set up a schedual for meetings, and possibly some events. So bring your ideas with you!

It'll be nice to meet you new folks and see a few familiar faces.

Does anyone object to the Beir Garten?

Cheers,

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:53 am

I have no objections. Can we get a google maps link, or an address for the bar posted, once we have agreed to the location? I'll be borrowing a ride, one way or another, and knowing where I'm headed would be handy.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by thelight » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 am

Looks like I won't be able to make the first meeting after all. My last PDC class is on that weekend all the way over in MA. Famine will be running the meet.

Wolff's Biergarten (homepage)
895 Broadway, Albany, NY (google maps)

And a yelp link:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/wolffs-biergarten-albany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Winston Churchill

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:20 am

Timing is everything- I may just be arriving in what will be one of the newer members of the ZS fleet. Definitely going to try to be there, alone if I must.

Just re-read through the thread, and I don't see a time for this. 11/12/11 for the date, and we have the location, but no time agreed upon.

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Let's say 1400? Early enough in the day.

I'm really looking forward to it.
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

snowsoldier

Post by snowsoldier » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:22 pm

2 pm sounds good to me! If you can, hold off on lunch until then... the food there is great! I'm stoked to meet y'all and enjoy some of the delicious libations that our public house serves!
-ROCK
MOLON LABE
Non Timebo Mala

agreco
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead

Post by agreco » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Can't make it this Saturday - need to be in Syracuse. But definitely fill me in on what I missed and when the next meeting/event is. Bummer, I was really looking forward to meeting people.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by thelight » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Here's the Facebook invite, for anyone interested. Feel free to share it around!
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=156642227768405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Winston Churchill

snowsoldier

Post by snowsoldier » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Just threw it out to all of my FB friends in the area. Hopefully we can get some people there for the beer and stay for cause! 8-)
MOLON LABE
Non Timebo Mala

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:30 am

can't make it. got to work ot. maybe next time.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

saralou
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by saralou » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:10 am

I'll be there! Looking forward to meeting everyone :)
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." Stephen King

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:53 am

I just saw this today so I don't think I'll be making it but I'm living near Albany full-time now so I will be around...
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:22 pm

My job managed to screw up my paycheck, AGAIN, so I'm unable to make it, either. Maybe next one. Have fun!

snowsoldier

Post by snowsoldier » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:25 am

Great meeting and good food. a lot of good ideas and opportunities came out the meeting. I think it's a great start for us to move in a positive direction! I think Famine will probably post the notes from the meeting.
MOLON LABE
Non Timebo Mala

snowsoldier

December Albany/Saratoga Meeting

Post by snowsoldier » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:47 am

Ok guys, once again I'd like to thank everyone that came out last weekend for the meeting. Now it's time to plan our December meeting. Since we did last month's down in Albany, I think we should do December in Saratoga. With the Thanksgiving holiday this week, then the rest of holiday rush, end of semester, and life in general, time will go by quick. Let's stick to the second Saturday of the month, which would be December 10, 2011. As far as the place, I'm open, but let's keep the same time of 1400. Clifton Park is also an option, there's a variety of places to meet that are right off the Northway, including a Buffalo Wild Wings (yum!). All that being said, the next meeting for our Capital Crew will be December 10, 2011 @ 1400. Clear your schedules, let's have a nice turn out and really help some people!
MOLON LABE
Non Timebo Mala

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”