Trip to Abandoned Resort, November 18-20

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:44 pm

I'm planning a trip to Grossinger's Resort, an abandoned Borscht Belt resort in Liberty, NY, during the weekend of November 18-20, 2011.

I'm still figuring out where to go camping (if it was just me, I'd likely just bandit camp, but with a bunch of us, I wouldn't want to count on going below the radar)...

It looks like a really cool area with lots of intact (and somewhat intact) structures in the area.

http://wiseminds.com/thedigitalmirage/?p=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasins ... ross1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://abandonedbatonrouge.typepad.com/ ... chers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The links above provide some pics and a feel for the place.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Re: Trip to Abandoned Resort, November 18-20

Post by Jamie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:06 pm

There are 3 NYS Wild Forests within 10 miles, all of which allow backcountry camping: Sundown Wild Forest, Willowemoc Wild Forest, and Balsam Lake Mountain Wild Forest.

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:19 am

I found 2 cool videos of Grossinger's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74tmxe6 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5fAdKshdaI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie

Swoop411

Post by Swoop411 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 am

-----------------------------------------------
Last edited by Swoop411 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Post by CrackMunk » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:33 pm

I will know if I can go as soon as I get to back to work on tues if I can go. OT and all, have to see if I can get that weekend off. But I would love to go. Nothing better then walking around a spooky old hotel :shock:
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm in. Got that Friday off. If anyone needs a ride or wants to caravan down.....
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:07 pm

I'd love to carve out the time to come to this, at least a day. I'm over the hill and around the bend from it. (I think I took a class trip there in 1976 or so).
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, not to derail this thread, I watched the videos of people exploring the interior buildings. Is there some sort of implied self tour of the resort? I would think that being on the grounds, let alone in the buildings is a form of trespass. Wouldnt local authorites be concerned about the safety of the public, moving around a derelict building. There are a couple of locations, such as the old Kings Park Pysch center on Long Island that have a large complex of abandoned buildings but for safety concern, its posted no trespassing. The only people who enter those buildings are looking to steal any remaining copper piping and wiring. Looks like a cool place to investigate, just a little surprised that in liablilty and litigious minded NYS, such a thing would be possible.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:12 am

Of course nobody in ZS would discuss trespassing on lands that are known to be POSTED, as this would be an illegal act and thus against forum rules to discuss.

This chapter HAS done some legal urban exploration, for example the ruins of Tahawus and Frontier Town, both of which I can assure you are NOT posted. I don't know about Grossingers so I can't comment on that.

A quick google search turned up posts by urban explorers on Kings Park, sure some people may go to take copper etc. but some just take pictures.

http://www.unquiettomb.com/index/abando ... ic-center/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm looking like a "probably" for this trip.
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:31 pm

Is this still a go? Do we have a head count.

Do we have a site pick out or a meet up spot?
Just wondering how to pack. if we are going to be close enough to the cars if we bring extra gear or not.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:14 am

At the moment the headcount is 4: me, you, that guy John from HF, and probably Festus...it'd be cool to get a couple more, but in truth a "light and tight" group would probably work better for this kind of trip...I've never been to this spot, so it may fizzle, but I'm hopeful of a cool/fun trip!

My plan is to head out early on Friday to get there and scout a campsite in one of the nearby chunks of state forest preserve...I think it'll be a case of finding a good spot 150 feet from the road rather than an established campsite/campground...once I, or one of you guys if you beat me there, find(s) a spot, we should connect by sms or pre-arranged meetup spot and then head back to the camp for the evening...

I'll probably pack somewhere between backpacking and big tupperwares in my car...a bit like the deal at Frontier Town...

I'd like to get an early start the following morning to give us plenty of time to explore Grossingers during daylight hours...

I'd likely head out sometime after breakfast on Sunday, for the drive back up to Lake Clear...

Jamie

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 am

sounds good to me. :D I think a meet up place is a good idea just in case the cell service is crap.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 pm

CrackMunk wrote:sounds good to me. :D I think a meet up place is a good idea just in case the cell service is crap.
Let me do some googling tonight, and I'll come up with a place for us to meet on Friday afternoon.

Jamie

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:26 pm

I looked online and think that I found a good spot...just off state route 17 at Parksville, NY (exit 98) there's a Mobil station with a restaurant and such...I propose that we meet there at 2 or 3 in the afternoon on Friday the 18th of November.

Jamie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:46 am

great! see you there! good time too. cus I have to work the night before, this will give me a little sleep or I'll be one of the walking dead! :D
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:55 am

I'm in. Will be carpooling with CrackMunk.
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Awesome!

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swoop411

Post by Swoop411 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:30 am

-----------------------------------------------
Last edited by Swoop411 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:41 pm

We had a great time!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 177cc1a680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - link to a slideshow of pics...the others along also posted their pics as well...

group pic of the four of us enjoying some time poolside at Grossingers!

Jamie

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:21 am

Had a awesome time. Here's a link to my pics. Can't wait till next time.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 4bf2874307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”