Backpacking Trip from Tahawus trailhead, Sept. 24-26

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Demonstaff
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
28 Weeks Later

Re: Backpacking Trip from Tahawus trailhead, Sept. 24-26

Post by Demonstaff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Rush2112 wrote:Can't wait for this trip. I really need it at this point. The 24th will be my first day off after 25 straight days, and there's other shit I just need to unwind from.
I'm basically in the same boat. I need a vacation like this. Just got to reserve my bear canister at EMS and possibly buy some new gloves.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:32 am

The trip in to Flowed Lands sounds like a relatively easy 5 miles, with about 1000 feet of net elevation gain...parts of the trail are said to be very rocky, so good boots (ankle support) will be a big plus...

Map of the area and trip points - https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/- ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was thinking of camping at the shelter on the peninsula over the red "C" in the word "Camping", but am good stopping anywhere people want to...

I was doing some reading about the trail up into Flowed Lands via Calamity Brook, and then back down via the trail along the Opalescent River (which is the route I'd like to follow)...it seems probable (especially with recent hurricane damage) that there could be at least one (and likely more than one) river crossing without benefit of a bridge...I'm bringing a pair of crocs along on this trip, both as campshoes and for use in crossing rivers to keep my boots dry...it might not be a bad idea for others on this trip to do the same.

NOAA Weather Link - http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weather.com link - http://www.weather.com/weather/narrativ ... Y+USNY1004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like a chance of rain on Saturday and/or Sunday, but nice on Monday, with lows not much below 40...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:39 am

We are down to 9 shelters from 19 so I am hoping, but not hopeful that I will be able to make it.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:26 pm

My +1 backed out, would it be possible to borrow a hammock for this trip Jamie? I keep wanting to try one out before I buy one.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Rush2112 wrote:My Indubitably, my good sir and/or madam. backed out, would it be possible to borrow a hammock for this trip Jamie? I keep wanting to try one out before I buy one.
Yah...would you like a Grand Trunk or a Hennessy?

With either, you'll probably want a pad of some sort, not for cushion but for insulation from cold air under your ass and kidneys...it may be easier to do that under the GT...some people also hang a poncho liner or sleeping bag under the hammock instead...although it's looking silly warm for this weekend, so you may not have to worry at all...

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Rush2112 wrote:My Indubitably, my good sir and/or madam. backed out, would it be possible to borrow a hammock for this trip Jamie? I keep wanting to try one out before I buy one.
Heh, mods must be playing with the filter again. That was probably a plus one?

Anyway, I'm wondering if the cool nights have decreased the bug population yet. My decision to try just a little hammocking has already turned into two hammocks (a GT ultralight and a Hennessy Scout). I think I'll go with the GT UL if the bugs aren't a problem, so there's a Scout available if you like. I recommend bringing a larger tarp than the included one, though, since there appears to be a chance of rain.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Bunsen wrote:
Heh, mods must be playing with the filter again. That was probably a plus one?

Anyway, I'm wondering if the cool nights have decreased the bug population yet. My decision to try just a little hammocking has already turned into two hammocks (a GT ultralight and a Hennessy Scout). I think I'll go with the GT UL if the bugs aren't a problem, so there's a Scout available if you like. I recommend bringing a larger tarp than the included one, though, since there appears to be a chance of rain.
I'm not worried about bugs for this trip...we've already had a couple of hard frosts, and some snow up in the mountains...

Jamie

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Jamie wrote:I'm not worried about bugs for this trip...we've already had a couple of hard frosts, and some snow up in the mountains...

Jamie
Awesome, light hammock it is. Rush, I guess that means you have your pick of Jamie's GT or two Hennessys (Hennessies?).

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Bunsen wrote:
Jamie wrote:I'm not worried about bugs for this trip...we've already had a couple of hard frosts, and some snow up in the mountains...

Jamie
Awesome, light hammock it is. Rush, I guess that means you have your pick of Jamie's GT or two Hennessys (Hennessies?).
Hennesum?

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:07 pm

I'll take either of you up on the hammock, though I don't really have a bigger tarp.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:39 pm

I'll loan you the GT and a biggish Hennessy tarp that I have...sound good?

J

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Sounds good to me. Only, I feel like I'm somehow betraying the ground dwellers by doing this. :lol:
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:10 pm

I'm really ready for this trip!

Jamie

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:52 am

Rush2112 wrote:Sounds good to me. Only, I feel like I'm somehow betraying the ground dwellers by doing this. :lol:
Another thing you can try (being a smallish guy, it'll work better than with a troll like me) would be to hang the hammock and zip your sleeping bag onto it...then when you're ready for bed, you climb into the hammock and slide the sleeping bag up your body...this avoids the bottom-side draft, and lots of HFers are trying this for winter and other cold-camping...

Jamie

PS - I'll bring the hammock and all mounting stuff, a space blanket for the gear/ground under your hammock (landing spot for getting in/out), and the tarp and stakes...everything you'll need for shelter...

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:53 am

We're meeting at the trailhead parking lot at 10am on Saturday morning...if you can't be there at that time, no worries, but please tell me so I don't worry/wait.

Jamie

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 am

This trip isn't gonna happen for me.

We still have five shelters open and even at 13 days of response to the flooding, all vacations are still cancelled and I'm expected to work through yet another weekend.

Disaster response is really starting to piss me off.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:39 am

Bunsen, I'll gladly reimburse you if you can grab me a sixer of Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from your neck of the woods. It's the only time I can get it.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Post by Arcknitect » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:17 pm

theLight and I will have to leave Sunday evening to be at work Sunday, but we'll see you guys first thing Satureday! Really looking forward to leaving the city and housework for a weekend.
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:20 pm

AWESOME!!! I can't wait to see you guys!

It'd be fun to hike down via the Opalescent River Trail if possible...twice as long and possibly impassible due to the recent hurricane, but it's supposed to be nice...

Jamie

ps - it's going to be warm enough this weekend that I may trim some more gear/clothes from my pack...shouldn't get down below 50 either night...

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Rush2112 wrote:Bunsen, I'll gladly reimburse you if you can grab me a sixer of Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from your neck of the woods. It's the only time I can get it.
No problem. Are sure you just want one?

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Post by Arcknitect » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 am

Apperantly my post yesterday jinxed everything. I now get to work the entire weekend on an upcoming submission so Derek and I will have to pass. I'm so sorry guys. I was really looking forward to getting away from this mess for a weekend.
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Bummer...maybe next time...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Checking in from a rest stop on I-90. ETA circa 2300. Hope my nighttime site selection skills yield some non-dead trees this time. :lol:

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Some pretty colors for this weekend!

I'll see you in the morning...

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”