Backpacking Trip from Tahawus trailhead, Sept. 24-26

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:06 am

I'm planning a trip up into the High Peaks from the trailhead at Tahawus for the 4th weekend in September; Sept. 24-26 (Sat-Mon).

I would likely be hiking up to the area around Flowed Lands, a lake about 5-6 miles in over pretty easy terrain (I hope), with a series of lean-tos around it...

My plan is to hike in and basecamp at/near one of the lean-tos (I'll be rocking my hammock), and then striking out on side-trips to some of the nearby ponds and vistas and particularly Hanging Spear Falls (a set of falls about 100 feet tall not too far from Flowed Lands).

It'd be great to have some ZSNY company on this trip if anyone is up for it.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Re: Backpacking Trip from Tahawus trailhead, Sept. 24-26

Post by MikeM » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm interested.

Have to see what I can do about getting time off (which is much harder since the Regionalization :gonk: )

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:45 pm

That sounds like a good weekend for me. I've spent entirely too much time indoors lately, so I think I'd be willing to make the drive for this one.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Post by CrackMunk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 am

pencil me in. I'm hoping my shoulders will be better by then. And hoping the Docs and Tom's ban will be lifted :)
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:05 am

Awesome!

I would LOVE to get some serious camping on with a ZSNY crew!

The general shape of the trip would be: meet at the Tahawus trailhead at 10am on Saturday the 24th, hike up to Flowed Lands (a lake in a bowl made by a bunch of high peaks), camp at/near one of the leantos around the lake, explore the area the following day (which for some might mean baggin one of the nearby peaks, but for me will mean hiking to and exploring Hanging Spear Falls, reputed to be one of the awesomest set of falls in NY), camp another nightup in the high country, and then head down the following morning with time enough to explore the ghost town before heading home.

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Scanned jpg of a map of the area: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/- ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie

Rich219

Post by Rich219 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:44 pm

I can't say I'm definitely in but I may be in. I'll let you know by the first week of Sept.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:10 am

Rich219 wrote:I can't say I'm definitely in but I may be in. I'll let you know by the first week of Sept.
I hope to see you there!

Jamie

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:00 am

Hey guys, I haven't had internet for quite a while. I'm actually posting from school. I'm in and possibly my little brother. He's supposed to be on leave before his deployment during that time.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:05 am

I'm checking with DEC to make sure that the trails are still there after Irene...I'll post back in the affirmative or with an alternative location ASAP.

Jamie

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:53 am

Pfft...we'll make our own! :twisted:
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:33 pm

I talked with a guy at the DEC today, and it looks like they'll be opening trails in the Eastern High Peaks next week...

J

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Rich219

Post by Rich219 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 pm

Is this trip still on then? How many people are planning on coming? I think I may be able to make it up for the trip.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:31 pm

All indications are that it's still on...lots of trails were closed in the High Peaks following Hurricane Irene, but they are now starting to open lots of them...

10-12 people have indicated interest between ZS and FB and meetup and HF...so I'm guessing 3-5 may show up... :wink:

Jamie

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm in, Lawd willin' and the creek don't rise (again). And as usual, open to the idea of sharing a ride with anybody west of the 'dacks. If nobody takes that offer, I'll probably drive up Friday and camp by the car instead of departing at oh-fuck-hundred to get there by 10.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm out. Don't trust my shoulders yet, and I don't think it will be better by then. I hope everyone has a good time.
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Rich219

Post by Rich219 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 pm

Bunsen wrote:I'm in, Lawd willin' and the creek don't rise (again). And as usual, open to the idea of sharing a ride with anybody west of the 'dacks. If nobody takes that offer, I'll probably drive up Friday and camp by the car instead of departing at oh-fuck-hundred to get there by 10.
In the event that I'm actually able to make it up there for the trip I'll be up there Friday night too to camp out so I don't have to make the drive from the ROC on Saturday morning.

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Rich219 wrote:
Bunsen wrote:I'm in, Lawd willin' and the creek don't rise (again). And as usual, open to the idea of sharing a ride with anybody west of the 'dacks. If nobody takes that offer, I'll probably drive up Friday and camp by the car instead of departing at oh-fuck-hundred to get there by 10.
In the event that I'm actually able to make it up there for the trip I'll be up there Friday night too to camp out so I don't have to make the drive from the ROC on Saturday morning.
If the camping gods smile on you and let you head out to the woods, consider the carpool idea. We'd be covering the same pavement everywhere east of Rochester; there doesn't seem much sense in burning two cars' worth of gas to do it.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:49 am

That's awesome that you guys are coming! I can't wait to see you, and
Am Looking forward to a fun weekend...maybe break camp earlyish on Monday to allow for some exploration of Tahawus.

J

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:00 am

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7865.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - the trails into the backcountry are officially re-opened...

Jamie

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 am

Not sure whether I'll be up Friday evening or Saturday morning. 10 AM is pushing it coming from central NH. If I end up coming on Saturday and don't arrive before you guys are ready to head out, by all means leave without me. I'm sure I can find my way to camp. If I arrive Friday night, do we have a spot to stay picked out yet?
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Post by Arcknitect » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:16 pm

theLight and I are really pushing to come. Both need to confirm time off and thankfully my brother can handle the contractors for the weekend on his own. We'd probably drive to Albany Friday night and meet you guys in the morning. let you know as soon as we do! Sounds like a great trip, and I'm not missing Tahawus again!
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:39 pm

I'm really excited for this trip, and to get a chance to see and explore some pretty country a bit off the beaten path...I'll be working Friday, and won't be able to get down until Saturday morning, but anyone who gets there to camp Friday night can camp anywhere on state forest preserve, as long as you're 150 feet from roads, water, and trails...the last time we were there, we found a place to set up our camp not too far from the parking lot, in a SW direction from the parking lot.

Jamie

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 am

Can't wait for this trip. I really need it at this point. The 24th will be my first day off after 25 straight days, and there's other shit I just need to unwind from.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”