Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

paddle & camp trip AUG 20-22

Post by CrackMunk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:16 pm

I was thinking of putting together a paddle and camping trip. Wanted to see if anyone is interested. It would be in Saratoga Co. Moreau state park. Nothing big, 2 mi paddle to the site, some light hiking maybe, (sorry no firearms on state park prop.)
I'm looking at mid to late Aug maybe early Sept
new map
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208 ... 64,0.15913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry I change my call name Its Carol if you have't figure that out yet.(stupid spell check is acting up again)
Last edited by CrackMunk on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Re: paddle & camp trip (map corrected ,sorry)

Post by Jamie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:07 am

That sounds and looks like it might be fun...I might be in, depending on the dates.

Jamie

ps - is that the place you went with your husband last weekend?
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: paddle & camp trip (map corrected ,sorry)

Post by CrackMunk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:31 am

Jamie wrote:is that the place you went with your husband last weekend?
yes it is. Here's my Google + post on the trip:

The paddle was not bad even with the current. they closed the dam about half way though the paddle which made it a little faster.The site is large, perfect for a group of 10+. trees for up to 6-7 hammocks and plenty of space for tents. there is no real access to hike in. we did find a fairly well groomed path but it lead to private property. which held a small hunt camp, about a mile up. we didn't go any farther as the grade started to get to steep for Tom to walk. there was a little cove which was perfect for swimming that a small stream empty into. we did see some large canine tracks. on the trail. and when the water lowered from the dam I noticed some same tracks in the cove in the shallow parts. as well as heroin prints. It was then that Tom decided it was not for him, so we pack things up and paddled back, would have been nice if they had just opened the dam and we could have rode the current but it was at its lowest point. but the paddle back was real nice as we zig zag along the river. we saw a heroin and a bald eagle. which was a real treat.

as for dates. whats good for eveyone? like I said I'm good from mid Aug - the begining of Sept.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: paddle & camp trip Aug 20-22

Post by CrackMunk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm throwing out a date of Aug 20-22, and Moreau state park is ex 17 on Rt 87, about 40min north of Albany. if anyone want to throw out a date that better suits thats fine. then maybe we can whittle it down so that the most people can come. I do need to get a date so I can get a permit.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Bster13

Re: paddle & camp trip AUG 20-22

Post by Bster13 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:29 am

I am interested in the August 20-22th. I am open to any trip proposal that wknd.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:09 am

I'm in for that weekend, and the location sounds good to me.

Thanks Carol!

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Tom said he would try it again.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 am

we just got a new kayak. hoping to try it out on this trip, even if I just tow it behind the canoe to the site. I'm also getting a new gravity water filter. I've been going back and forth on the types and think this is the best as for easy, volume, and weight.

edit: permit is good to go.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 pm

ok I'm getting the permit this weekend.I'm going to get the coordinates to the parking area, will post them later. It's is a first come site so I'm going to try to get up there Fri the19th to put a tent on the site or early sat morn. meet up time will be 1pm. let me know if I'm forgeting anything.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:59 am

Thinking about bringing my iPad (well, the school district's actually) with some cheesy zombie movies loaded on it...my nalgene fishing kit too...

Jamie

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:24 pm

I want to see how that fishing can works. Would be great if if u got something
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:56 pm

I would like to explore the trails that run off the site alittle more. Maybe even try to find a way to get to the trail head. try some fishing. I always had luck just above the dam, rock bass,perch, sunnys.. Hoping more will jump in and come
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:59 am

It would be nice to get a big ZSNY crew for this more centrally located trip...

Jamie

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Jamie wrote:It would be nice to get a big ZSNY crew for this more centrally located trip...Jamie
Was thinking the same thing. Do I need to take this personal? LOL JK JK we could even do a stop at the EPO (military surplus store) down the road
they have everything at good prices (better then Army-Navy store). I got a Alice pack w/ frame for $30 and jacket liner for $5. they also do classes on preparedness. We could meet up there if anyone needs to get some stuff before.
but was thinking if no one jumps in in a couple of days I would post a invite on HF site see if I get any takers. Not that just us four wouldn't be fun (it would) but as the saying goes "more the merrier"
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Post by Arcknitect » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 am

theLight and I have that weekend blocked off for the trip officially. Does anyone have a spare boat we could borrow? Sounds like a good time :D
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:25 pm

I have a kayak you can use. you might have to stop by and pick it up on the way up though. Tom doesnt think it will fit with the canoe on top of the car.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Arcknitect » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:28 am

any chance the kayak hold 2? It shouldn't be a problem to pick up, though we'd be driving up friday later on (thinking half day at the office).
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:12 pm

sorry will only hold one. its 10f but there is a EMS store that rents at ex 15 in saratoga. and I think they rent 2 seaters and singles. Don't know the $

EMS
3066 Route 50
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
(518) 580-1505
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Just talked to the park, if your coming you must stop by the park office and get a parking permit. ( they didn't say that before). that parking lot is small so we may have to move some cars around. we will be going for "Spier Falls site". It is a first come fist serve site. I will be going up Friday morning to get the camping permit.and the parking permits are free. its just so your cars dont get towed.there is a small area around the corner at the trail head that we should be able to park at.
if anyone wants to go up earlier thats fine. its not hard to spot the site. its clearly posted on the right side of the river. all I ask is if your going up early let me know so no one is waiting on someone. there is no time we have to leave so we can take our time. I'll pm my ph # to everyone just in case.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Arcknitect » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:14 am

The universe seems to be conspiring to keep Derek and I from going camping this summer. His mother just signed on the dotted line for two new bathrooms and new windows for the whole house. This is kind of amazing and desperatly needed, but also means that we are a no go for this trip :-/. Instead we'll be trapsing around bathroom stores getting the tile and fixtures we need for the house since the contractor can start asap.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:03 pm

laditek wrote:The universe seems to be conspiring to keep Derek and I from going camping this summer. His mother just signed on the dotted line for two new bathrooms and new windows for the whole house. This is kind of amazing and desperatly needed, but also means that we are a no go for this trip :-/. Instead we'll be trapsing around bathroom stores getting the tile and fixtures we need for the house since the contractor can start asap.
Well maybe next time. the next time you too are up this way again, let me know we'll have to get togeather.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:16 am

I'm packing and wanted to mention that my new bear canister (tiny though it is) is now holding:

2 breakfasts
3 lunches
3 dinners (1 more than needed, but I'm testing a new homemade dinner, and it may suck)
beverages for all meals
cigars

It has enough space for a 3.5 day/3 night trip...for me...

Jamie

Dain Bramaged

Post by Dain Bramaged » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi everyone... I'll get to the introduction thread eventually, I swear.

Was contemplating offering my two person canoe to laditek and theLight but didn't really join this chapter with enough time to get to know you well enough. As much as I like to help my fellow man, I was hesitant to give my canoe to total strangers. Thanks to your new windows and bathrooms (i hope you have three, or they do one at a time) I was let off the hook.

I was really wondering about this "bear canister" thingy. I'm heading up that way labor day week and am wondering how much on the lookout I should be for the big critters??

As you're all packing, etc, don't kill yourself to answer before you get back... and have a great time!!

(for future reference, I'd totally be up for something that involves canoes and camping! Two days is a bit short for me to drive up from the city, but I'd probably still do it anyways)

Again, have a blast!!!

-Greg

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:14 am

It was a great trip...a nice paddle, beautiful site, great crew of campers...the weather was super on Saturday, we had some showers on Sunday (but not high winds or hail or all day rain), and it was gorgeous Monday morning!

I had an awesome time, and hope to camp at this spot again, either in October or in the spring...

pics to follow

Jamie

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”