ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout (Jamie not going, read last page)

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:21 am

Howdy...response to this thread has been underwhelming to date...no big, but I have a pair of related questions to pose to potential attendees...
Question #1
Who is coming?
Question #2
Of those who are coming, who would be willing to do a mellow paddle trip instead of a car-camping trip?
Please respond in this thread in the manner that I do in the next post...

Festus and I had a great paddle in the same general area that I was thinking about for the summer trip before, and it occurred to us that we could have lots of the same fun, but enjoy a more remote and pretty time if we did a short paddle out to one of the numerous campsites that we passed on our longer paddle...I have a couple of extra boats and PFDs and such that I could loan people, and have a way worked out to make a couple of trips to the new and improved redneck range even from our paddle-based camping spot...

My interest in the post is twofold...finding out how many people are actually going to come (as opposed to talking about coming), and seeing what level of interest there is in a paddle trip as opposed to the originally-proposed car-camping trip...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Re: ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout, July 15-18 Headcount and Quest

Post by Jamie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24 am

Question #1
Who is coming?
I am definitely coming on this trip...arriving the 15th and leaving 18th of July.

Jamie (1)

Question #2
Of those who are coming, who would be willing to do a mellow paddle trip instead of a car-camping trip?
I would prefer to do a mellow paddle trip, but am certainly willing to do the car-camping trip if that's what everyone would prefer.

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Question #1
Who is coming?
I'll come if I can, but free time is uncertain. I'll guess I've got a 60% chance of making it.

Bunsen (0.6)
Question #2
I'm all about the paddling (or rowing, since my guide boat is in decent shape now). There's very little that we'd bring on a car camping trip that you can't haul in a canoe, and getting away from the roads is awesome.

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:23 am

Question #1
Who is coming?
IN.

Question #2
Those who know me don't need to ask. If someone wants to come but has no boat or isn't so sure about being able to paddle for the length of the trip, I could be talked into bringing my Mad River canoe. She's super-stable, and almost unbelievably comfortable in the front and back seats. Also a fair amount of space for camping gear. I can provide the boat and a double-bladed paddle, all a +1 would need is some sort of PFD.

“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Post by CrackMunk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Question #1
Who is coming?
I'm in and Tom said he would go. He wants to meet the nutbags that got me into winter camping! LOL

Question #2
I'm up for anything, have canoe will paddle. :D

if the hammocks work out for Tom (testing this weekend) I should have room for 1 more if anyone finds the need. it seats 3.
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Question #1
Who is coming?
I'm a probable "yes" depending upon ability to get time off
Question #2
A mellow paddle sounds great if: a) I can get a second paddler in the Red Hippo or b) there's a second seat still open with Festus when I can get the time off confirmed

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Post by Arcknitect » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Thelight and I are up for a paddle for sure. Just the two of us, my brother decided to hold down the fort. Thelight is going to make sure he can get friday off still....crazy moving deadlines of doom.
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Post by Arcknitect » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:32 pm

oye.......so theLight's company has decided that he can't be spared on Friday. Looks like a weekend at home for us :-/ Is anyone going through Albany? We were going to pick up Famine in Albany and we'd hate to leave him stranded.
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:51 am

laditek wrote:oye.......so theLight's company has decided that he can't be spared on Friday. Looks like a weekend at home for us :-/ Is anyone going through Albany? We were going to pick up Famine in Albany and we'd hate to leave him stranded.
I'm bummed but not surprised..maybe next time...

Too bad Kevin's stranded, I hope someone can pick him up!

Jamie

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 am

I could, Saturday morning. I had no idea Famine was coming so I made arrangements to share my canoe with Bunsen (who has an injured shoulder and can't really paddle his own boat). Is someone going to have a seat open for Famine?
Jamie wrote:
laditek wrote:oye.......so theLight's company has decided that he can't be spared on Friday. Looks like a weekend at home for us :-/ Is anyone going through Albany? We were going to pick up Famine in Albany and we'd hate to leave him stranded.
I'm bummed but not surprised..maybe next time...

Too bad Kevin's stranded, I hope someone can pick him up!

Jamie
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout, July 15-18 Headcount and Question

Post by Jamie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:03 am

I've got a boat that I offered to Famine, and the offer still stands, so that shouldn't be a problem, although pick up of the boat will require my home coords, as I'll already be in the woods when you arrive on Saturday...again, no problem though...

Confession Time: all of the scheduling and commitment and equipment drama/hassle associated with this trip has me on the fence about planning more ZSNY trips in the future... I like a trip that is simple and hassle-free and that when people say they're gonna come, they actually come when we're supposed to meet up, and everyone has the gear that they need...I love camping, and I love the ZSNY crew, but...

At this point, about half the people have backed out of the trip, and about half of the people are coming a day late...that's assuming no further cancellations, which I don't feel confident is a fair assumption to make...I'm psyched to see those people still coming, but if everyone wants to call this one on account of whatever, I'll have a fun weekend with my family, and be happy to try again in August or September (if people want to)...

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout, July 15-18 Headcount and Question

Post by Jamie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:47 am

I want to {partly} apologize for my last post...I went in for some brutal dentistry yesterday, and this morning my head and jaw feel like they're made of broken glass and barbed wire...so I woke up grumpy and dysfunctional and (obviously) lacking in subtlety/discretion...

I apologize to those still on for the trip, but I'm going to back out of the trip...obviously, it's still an option for any or all of you to go, but I won't be there.

Jamie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Festus Hagen

Re: ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout (Jamie not going, read last pag

Post by Festus Hagen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 am

Fair enough, I'm out as well... sorry to anyone this might inconvenience. Feel better J.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:55 am

well I guess that leaves just me and Tom. so I guess we are out to.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 pm

That's a bummer, but I'm not going to get too broken up about it. Herding cats is frustrating and doesn't always work out in the end. I hope the rest of us can step up and contribute more to organizing these trips -- I'd like to help more, but I'm at the wrong end of the state for pretty much everybody else and my back yard is nowhere near as cool as Jamie's.

Now to spend the weekend attaching a sail rig to my guide boat so I can get back on the damn water without killing my shoulder...

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:35 am

Bunsen wrote:That's a bummer, but I'm not going to get too broken up about it. Herding cats is frustrating and doesn't always work out in the end. I hope the rest of us can step up and contribute more to organizing these trips -- I'd like to help more, but I'm at the wrong end of the state for pretty much everybody else and my back yard is nowhere near as cool as Jamie's.

Now to spend the weekend attaching a sail rig to my guide boat so I can get back on the damn water without killing my shoulder...
Sounds like an awesome plan...I've often thought about rigging a sail for my canoe...I'm paddling with Ben and my parents today, feeling a bit less like my head's going to come off if I turn it the wrong way...

J

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Jamie wrote:I've often thought about rigging a sail for my canoe...
I just found out that these guys are hosting some big traditional canoe get-together thing at Paul Smiths right now (well, yesterday actually) through Sunday. I'd be willing to bet there are a couple old-school sailing canoes there you could take some inspiration from.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Bunsen wrote:
Jamie wrote:I've often thought about rigging a sail for my canoe...
I just found out that these guys are hosting some big traditional canoe get-together thing at Paul Smiths right now (well, yesterday actually) through Sunday. I'd be willing to bet there are a couple old-school sailing canoes there you could take some inspiration from.
Gail works at PSC, and we took a spin by today, and may check back in this weekend...

Jamie

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:38 am

Jamie wrote:I've often thought about rigging a sail for my canoe
Bunson said: "Now to spend the weekend attaching a sail rig to my guide boat so I can get back on the damn water without killing my shoulder"

Saw this artical awhile back thought about seeing if I could rig something up DIY
http://www.canoerootsmag.com/blogs/gear ... r-you.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”