ZSNY Hiking/Paddling Trip June 10-12

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu May 05, 2011 9:55 am

The trip is on for the weekend of June 10th to 12th. People should plan on getting there in the afternoon/evening on Friday the 10th, we'll be done by noon on Sunday the 12th.

I'll post a webpage with info and maps later today.

Here's a G-map - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 37021&z=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie - nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Bster13

Re: June Camping Trip: 3-5 or 10-12

Post by Bster13 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:57 am

3rd - 5th for me. Can't do the other wknd., thanks!

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Fri May 06, 2011 10:34 am

The first weekend in June is the IthacaFest, so that one is a no go for me. Can't miss out on all the free music and hippie hilarity.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:44 am

Do we end up leaving our boats unattended after we hike or prior to hiking in the middle point?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 am

Bster13 wrote:Do we end up leaving our boats unattended after we hike or prior to hiking in the middle point?
My thought was to load the boats/gear onto/into a car or two and have my wife come by and switch cars at our estimated time of arrival to the switch-point from hiking to paddling...so the boats aren't just left on the side of the road...as long as we trust Gail to drive the loaded cars the couple of miles to/from my house, we're all set until the end of the trip, when we'd have to shuttle around a bit to get everyone back their own car/boat/gear (depending on which way we go, North or South)...

Jamie - nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sat May 07, 2011 11:49 am

I updated the map to include a better/longer paddling route...

Jamie - nfa

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Mon May 16, 2011 9:39 am

I'm good with either weekend and would love to join. Can Melis & I borrow a canoe or is there a place nearby to rent one?
-Tl
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon May 16, 2011 9:41 am

thelight wrote:I'm good with either weekend and would love to join. Can Melis & I borrow a canoe or is there a place nearby to rent one?
-Tl
You guys can borrow my big red canoe...

J

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Can you estimate the mileage hiked vs. paddled?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon May 16, 2011 1:38 pm

It's about 10-12 miles of hiking on level ground through pretty country...some bog, some forest, some open country...we'll be walking along a retired railroad bed with all tracks and ties removed decades ago...

It's about 5-7 miles of paddling, with some additional (and awesome) side excursions/explorations depending on how pressed for time people are...

My thought was to get the boats and paddle (just a few hundred yards to a pretty and isolated campsite on the far side of a ginormous and ancient culvert)...

My dad and I paddling last summer...

If however, people would prefer to land camp, and then start boats the following morning, there are nice places to camp at the end of the hike, and then get the boats the following morning (Gail has agreed to shuttle the boats out to us to avoid their sitting around without us)...

Jamie - nfa

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Camping Trip June 3-5

Post by Jamie » Fri May 20, 2011 8:08 am

The trip is on for the weekend of June 10th to 12th. People should plan on getting there in the afternoon/evening on Friday the 10th, we'll be done by noon on Sunday the 12th.

I'll post a webpage with info and maps later today.

Here's a G-map - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 37021&z=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie - nfa

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: ZSNY Hiking/Paddling Trip June 3-5

Post by Jamie » Fri May 20, 2011 9:34 am

http://zsny.org/biathtrip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Informational Webpage about the trip...

Important Details:

Meet @ N44.45687, W074.18836 on Friday June 10th sometime in the afternoon/evening

We'll be done by noon on Sunday June 12th

We'll be shuttling cars and boats a bit, but I have a brilliant plan that allows us to avoid leaving our boats/gear open to people messing with (or stealing) them.

It'll be fun and pretty and physical without being too challenging...a good time will be had by all!

Jamie - nfa

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Re: ZSNY Hiking/Paddling Trip June 3-5

Post by Arcknitect » Mon May 23, 2011 12:07 pm

Looks like Derek and I will be a no go. He has to be on call for a client and is already taking a long Memorial Day weekend :-/
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: ZSNY Hiking/Paddling Trip June 10-12

Post by Jamie » Mon May 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Updated:dates changed to reflect a shift in trip attendees...

http://zsny.org/biathtrip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Informational Webpage about the trip...

Important Details:

Meet @ N44.45687, W074.18836 on Friday June 10th sometime in the afternoon/evening

We'll be done by noon on Sunday June 12th

We'll be shuttling cars and boats a bit, but I have a brilliant plan that allows us to avoid leaving our boats/gear open to people messing with (or stealing) them.

It'll be fun and pretty and physical without being too challenging...a good time will be had by all!

Jamie - nfa

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:41 pm

I'll do my best to attend this one. I'd like to get my damn kayak in the water this year.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sun May 29, 2011 6:01 am

Rush2112 wrote:I'll do my best to attend this one. I'd like to get my damn kayak in the water this year.
Excellent!

J

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:59 am

Weather.com paints a pretty picture of the weather during this coming weekend!

J

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:51 pm

I've been remiss regarding posting but I'm in for this one. Just made up some trail mix and oatmeal :) Plan to bring an Old Town Discovery 119 canoe we picked up this week.
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Ima try for my Ultralight loadout for this trip...you know, not counting the 50-ish pound canoe... :roll:

Jamie

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:16 am

Just a note...bring some form of bug-solution...the biting insects in the ADKs are stunning in both number and aggression this year!

I sprayed my hammock with permethrin, and it works incredibly well...they don't even land on the fabric...

During the day, I'll be counting on forward motion and breezes to keep me somewhat clear, with 110% solutions of DEET as my backup...in camp and at rest, I'll probably be smoking cheap cigars to ward off the flying menace...

Jamie

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Hey Jamie,

Any idea about what time you expect to be at the coords on Friday? I can plan to be there pretty much any time on Friday.

Any sense about cellphone service there?

Steve, think you'll be able to make it?

I plan to bring my DD hammock with bugnet and tiny HH tarp. With lows around 51-52 on Sat and Sun I think I will give my polarfleece sleeping bag a whirl. Friday night looks to be getting down to 44, perhaps a little cold for just a fleece SB so I'll prolly bring my "real" SB for the first night, and use my judgement then about which one gets to ride in my backpack.

Shame they're calling for showers Sat and Sun... oh well we won't melt.

I'm doing "Festus House" dinners both nights and ZS-style oatmeal both mornings. It was too damn hot down here to consider making up a batch of Meat Rocks, so I looked around at the grocery store and got a jar of this stuff instead http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/horme ... dBeef.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I just shredded it up and added it to the bag... don't call me lazy :) Gonna run the Heiney Pot and tealight stove this time around.
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:20 am

I'll be at the coords between 4 and 5 in the afternoon on Friday...

Cell service will be mixed throughout the hike/paddle, but stronger at the southern end of our trip than at the northern end...

I'm planning on going with the HH, the HH tiny-tarp, and am debating between the mss patrol bag and a fleece blanket...

I was thinking about doing the 10-12 mile hike in my crocs, but decided that that would be fucking stupid, so I'll be wearing my hiking boots and have the crocs for camp and the paddle section of the trip...

I think the rain'll hold off (mostly) until the afternoon on Saturday, so if we get an early start, we should be fine...Saturday night looks to be wet, but not tons of rain, and not high winds...

My thinking is that we'll setup our first camp Friday afternoon and organize gear a bit more...Saturday morning we get up and shuttle cars: one to the end of the hike, and one to a secure location nearby (a friend's house...the boats and guns will stay in their driveway)...Gail has agreed to pick us up Saturday morning and drive us to the beginning of the hike...we hike for hours through pretty country and arrive at one of the cars, shuttle to my friend's house to get boats (and leave guns)...go the put-in for the 2nd leg of the trip and paddle to select our campsite for the second night...next morning we paddle to our heart's content, then return to our launch, shuttle to get the guns from my friend's house, and do some shooting until our ears and shoulders ache...

If the plan seems convoluted, don't worry, it'll work more easily than it would appear on paper...

Jamie

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:06 am

We had a great time despite some rain and bugs...pics and AAR to come.

Jamie

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Festus and I had a great weekend trip. We met up on Friday afternoon to camp at Jone Pond, up in the Adirondacks...sorting gear and talking about our plans for the next 2 days...

Our plan was to hike 11-12 miles on Saturday with full packs from Saranac Lake to Onchiota, along a retired railroad bed through a mix of swamp and forest...the fact that it was predicted to rain most of the weekend, and that it was (and is) the buggiest Summer the Adirondacks has known in a generation, didn't change our plans, although our preps and packing did change a bit...

I was trying to reach a balance between lightweight and practicality...I rocked a Hennessy Hammock (to provide me some protection from the bugs), along with their tiny sil-tarp to give me minimal weight while still getting enough coverage for 2 nights of rain (including one night of horrific thunder and lightning)...since I was planning to bring long underwear bottoms and a fleece top anyway, I wanted to try and trim weight by skipping a sleeping bag, so I slept in my fleece and wrapped myself in a microfleece blanket...the first night was in the mid-40s, and the second night was in the mid-50s...I tend to sleep warm, and was fine both nights...

We got the cars and boats (more on that later) settled early the next morning, and were on the trail by 8am...it started to drizzle about 40 minutes into the hike, but I was comfy leaving my raincoat on top of my pack, keeping the top dry for the moment...

I bought a GraniteGear Virga, an ultralight backpack, about a year ago, and wanted to try it out on this hike...the pack weighs only 19 ounces, and is rated to carry up to 20 pounds (which I exceeded by a couple of pounds)...the pack adjusted very well to my back and the hike and the weather, and didn't seem to mind the extra weight I loaded into it at all...i consider it a win, and will use it again...

We walked for a couple of hours in the rain, swatting more flies than seemed possible...we saw lots of deer prints, a fisher cat, bear tracks, a beaver slapped water right next to us, and a mink crossed the trail about 10 yards in front of us...we took a couple of minutes at this beaver swamp, took off the packs and ate/drank for a bit of rest...we had just crossed a stream over a bridge we made from a downed tree...using our walking poles for balance/support...

We finished up the hike by a couple of minutes past noon, and made our way to our boats, to begin the second leg of this trip...a paddle from Onchiota up Lake Kushaqua to explore a bit before finding a nice island to camp on for the night...it was still raining the whole time, and cooling off enough that we both wanted to put on our raincoats, more for warmth than to keep dry (that ship had sailed hours ago in the swamp...

We paddled the length of Kushaqua, a manufactured lake, to the dam at the top, and then back down a bit until we found a nice spot to camp for the night...

The rain broke for long enough to allow us to setup our hammocks, and hide what dry clothes we still had inside the hammocks for later...we didn't think there was much point in changing into dry clothes that would only get wet before we wanted to go to bed...

Some ducks came by close enough that we could have bagged the mother and probably also all of the babies we wanted, had we been hungry enough...we also talked about bringing a fishing kit next time to get some fish, and a small gun of some flavor to pop some of the squirrels that chattered at us all afternoon and evening...

While exploring the little island during the remaining hours of daylight, we found a bunch of coyote poop, but never heard/saw one while we were there...

We stuck with best practice and hung our food using the PCT method, which worked as well as it always does...

Festus used his alky-stove, I used my JetBoil, both worked perfectly... I tried some new Coleman freeze-dried food, enjoying both quite well (bigger than a MH single portion, but not as much as a a double portion)...

By the next morning, we had spent the night being woken up every hour or so by loud/bright thunder/lightning, and our boats had more than inch of water in them...the hammocks (both of them hung with HH tiny tarps) made it through the night essentially dry, although it rained hard enough to splash more than a foot up from the ground...

We paddled for a couple of hours from our spot on Kushaqua down through the Rainbow Lake Narrows, and eventually down into Rainbow Lake...these lakes are all long and narrow fingers, gauged out by the last ice-age, and connected by tiny cuts between them that were pretty tricky to find in a couple of cases...

The rain picked up in earnest by late morning, and we got back into our rain gear for the final push through Rainbow Lake, which is filled with loads of tiny islands, including some that are floating masses of sphagnum moss, some big enough to have trees growing on them, that move back and forth across the lake with the winds...

We pulled out at the bottom of the lake after two days of rain and bugs and living rough in temperatures in the 40s and 50s...I tested my UL pack, a lightweight sleeping system, some new foods, and a new raincoat, along with a bunch of tried and tested gear over a broad range of terrain and activities...we portaged our boats and gear about 150 yards out to the road, and hiked the short distance to the car we left at the bottom of the lake...cold and wet and tired and bitten and dirty and happy!

We hiked about 12 miles and paddled about 8-10 miles, and lived/slept out in rainy/buggy weather for about 48 hours, living out of the packs we carried...

It was a great trip!

Jamie

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”