Abandoned Base Trip (See update in last post)

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Abandoned Base Trip (See update in last post)

Post by MikeM » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:53 am

This has been discussed, but I would like to get some feedback on getting the trip planned.

Point one: Dates
-I was thinking that we could put it a month off from Jamie's planned trip, so as to not conflict, but other than that I'm very open for dates.

Point two: Camping
-Sampson is a State Park, and so they charge a premium for sites, and these sites are not hammock friendly. My though here was that we could camp at the North end of the Finger Lakes Forest (free) and then drive over to Sampson (I get a park pass every year so it would not cost to get in if we all fit in the Subaru)

Point three: Activities
-Besides exploring the remains of the base, there are stocked fishing areas, hiking trails, geo-caches, and even funky night clubs within short distance from the FLNF. Last time we base camped in the FLNF we went to see the "Expendables".

This is a Western NY area trip that is reasonable distance for Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, and a drive for the 'Dacks, Down Staters, and Empire Region, but the chance to snoop around (legally, to boot!) a WWII era base is an awesome time.

-Mike
Last edited by MikeM on Mon May 23, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Rush2112

Re: Interest Check: Abandoned Army Base Trip

Post by Rush2112 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Sounds like fun, but also like a bit of a drive for me. I'd be interested if I had the time, though.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Demonstaff
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
28 Weeks Later

Post by Demonstaff » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 pm

It's a good 2-3 hour car trip one way for me. It'd be a day trip at the most for myself.

SirSharpe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by SirSharpe » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Definatley interseted.

Just accepted a new job with AT&T, so asking for time off so soon is a NO GO. However, as long as all the fun stuff is scheduled for Saturday or Sunday, I'm in! I've been ich'in to get out after this miserable/ awesome winter. It would be cool to schedule it around a public/ christian holiday to give us an extra day, but I could always pull a "Bunsen" and show up late Friday night - leave Sunday afternoon, at the very least. Being so close to home, I could be there or back in well under two hours.
Know thyself; everything in moderation-

Shadow13
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake), Zombie Land, Shaun of the Dead, AAAH Zombies

Post by Shadow13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Depending on the dates it sounds like fun.
When evil threatens the innocent, those with the ability to act have a RESPONSIBILITY to act!!

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Another one for "I'm in if the dates work out." I don't know much about my schedule past the first week of May, but until then I favor Saturday-Monday trips over Friday-Sunday (gotta show up during the day once in a while, don't want to wear out my gimmick). Centrally located trips are a big plus; this should be easier for me to make than the 'Dacks.

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:59 am

I'm good for Sat-Mon or even Fri-Mon (I've got 26 days of vacation to use by the end of the year, and I'm not losing any of it if I can help it).

Let's figure on the trip to the Sampson base being on a Sunday regardless of the date chosen, and that way those with a Saturday arrival will get to set up and relax before we trek around.

As a possible date: How about the Memorial Day Weekend (May 28th-30th) with the option of camping early from Friday to Monday?

-Mike
Last edited by MikeM on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Post by CrackMunk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm in if the dates are good. I have most sat-mon off. sounds like fun.
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 pm

I'm in, and probably can bring another zser or two. It's not too far from us, and it's not dead of winter camping.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:37 am

So far, the dates sound acceptable. I'll have finished my semester a couple weeks before then.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

ZCORR Jay
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Resident Evil

Post by ZCORR Jay » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:59 am

This sounds like a good trip and it's not too long of a drive for me, an hour at most, but my cousin is getting married on the 29th so I might have to make a solo trip.

I have a buddy in Boston who is part of an abandoned explorers group that would enjoy this trip.

Those who go post pics 8)
Keeping those guns & blades clean till the $hit hits the fan.
Free shipping on all orders over $50
Save 10% with discount code ZOMBIE2011
http://www.zcorrproducts.com

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:21 am

I'm still want to go. I have a friend that is very interested too. But he's still up in the air as he might be doing Mount Marcy. I keep jumping back and forth on it. Army base v Marcy....Marcy, abandoned Army base... can't....decided! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

SirSharpe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by SirSharpe » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:34 am

MikeM wrote:As a possible date: How about the Memorial Day Weekend (May 28th-30th) with the option of camping early from Friday to Monday?

-Mike

I second this date - I could be there Friday evening and stay till Monday morning.

The summer schedule is shaping up nicely - "I love it when a plan comes together"

MikeM

Re: Abandoned Army Base Trip MAY 28th-30th

Post by MikeM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:21 am

So the date is set as the 28th-30th of May.

I will probably arrive that Friday to get a cherry spot picked out in the Finger Lakes National Forest.
PM me for my cell number to make getting in touch easiest. We will be wild camping in the North end of the forest, and then drive (either in my car or a convoy if needed) over to the Sampson base on Sunday to get a full day of exploring in.

The camping itself will be base camp style, but expect to be a short distance from the cars (no more than a 5-10 minute hike at the slowest pace) so pack appropriately.

I'll be bringing GPS and radios, and lots of batteries for the camera so we should get a lot of great pictures in a truly end of the world looking location.

-Mike
-Seanbaby

SirSharpe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by SirSharpe » Fri May 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Despite the forcasts of rain everyday until the end of the month, I predict the weekend of May 28th - 30th will be absolutley, positivley perfect!

On an unrelated topic..... I'll be testing my waterworld hammock setup and extreme wet weather bugout gear this trip. :roll:

But seriously, I'm looking forward to this trip, especially if it turns out to be challenging weather-wise. Why else would I be doing it!?! Will this be the same site we camped at last year? Sounds like somwhere new... got any GPS coordinates yet? Maybe I'll concoct some sorta rain water collection do-hickie. Long story short, I'm still in - be there Friday night.

SirSharpe.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Sun May 15, 2011 6:36 pm

I'm in. Rain or Shine. Want to try out the camo tarp now the foliage is out. Hoping to be there Friday, I'll know on Wednesday if I got it off. if not then Sat.. just need the GPS coordinates now.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Mon May 16, 2011 10:09 am

Keep in mind that the coordinates are approximate:
We will be near Foster Pond, and parking at the Chicken Coop Rd parking area (42.500431,-76.789463).

The Sampson Park is a straight shot North through Lodi from here.

Forest Trail Map

And it would be great if we could get a solid list of who is in for this trip as we close in on the day.

-Mike
-Seanbaby

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Sat May 21, 2011 10:03 pm

I'm still in as long as my car doesn't act up anymore. I still not sure if I'll be there Friday or Saturday yet. wont know till Thursday. I might be bringing a Friend, was hoping my hubby Tom would come but its to much walking for him :( I just have to get my gear set up and I'm good to go.

oh and do I need to think of bears?
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Sun May 22, 2011 9:52 am

This is looking good for me -- probably Friday afternoon/evening (might get there before dark!) to maybe Monday, depending on how much fun I'm having, which probably depends on the amount of precipitation. My hiking may be limited (foot's being a bastard lately), but I'm sure I'll find something to do.

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Mon May 23, 2011 7:58 am

We are looking at a 40% chance of rain, with the chance of t-storms Saturday night.

I'll be bringing the two big tarps for the creation of a common area again.

Remember we a will be, at most, an easy 10 minute walk from the cars (more like 5 if I get the close spot) so bring lot's of spare dry clothes.

Also, this trip is very close to civilization, so if the rain is too much, we have a ton of plan Bs to choose from.

Carol- I would not worry about bears, but the mice have very little fear, and will chew through bags to get to snacks.

-Mike
-Seanbaby

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Mon May 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Weather reports are getting worse: now looking at 70% rain and likely to have t-storms.

I'd like to get some solid numbers for this trip, so I am looking at rescheduling at this point.

Any likely dates?

-Mike
-Seanbaby

SirSharpe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Abandoned Base Trip (See update in last post)

Post by SirSharpe » Mon May 23, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm ok a with a re-schedule, but then again I'm single and responsible-less (well.. it should be a word!) Besides I was possibly gonna skip Friday due to a last minute emergency (read: hot date with cute redhead). I don't think many people were planning to attend both this trip and NFA's, so if the dates overlaped, I don' think there would be a problem. Only down side I see if the missed opportunity at a three day weekend. Either way - if you plan it, I will come. Lets just try and have a GO/ NO-GO by Wednesday night.

Sir sharpe

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm ok a with a re-scheduling too, but I'm still a go if everyone else is. weather underground is giving a 30% chance of rain for Sunday. so as long as it's not a downpour that day I'm good. kind of hard to explore in a downpour. It's really been a rainy spring!
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Tue May 24, 2011 7:49 am

I'm calling this a "No Go".
As much as I want to get out there, Sampson is off the trail bushwhacking and I really do not dig slogging through chest high grass in the rain and mud (at least not when there won't be video to document the bad-assery :lol: ).

Be on the look out for the re-scheduling soonest.

-Mike
-Seanbaby

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”