ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout (Jamie not going, read last page)

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout, July 15-18

Post by Jamie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:38 am

I haven't used the cross man much, but it seems to be both fun and accurate...I've had some fun with Ben with the nalgene fishing kits...I'm looking forward to some shooting on one of the days...

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Re: ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout, July 15-18

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:06 pm

I didn't want to do a pot luck eather. I will be bringing 2-3 rifles and 2 pistols. .177 &.22
I would love to check out the tower too, hopfully the weather is good. the 2 week outlook from AccuWeather.com looks hot and wet. to far out to tell for sure.
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:19 pm

The tower sounds like a cool idea, and I'm dangerously tempted to haul 20 lbs of ham radio and battery up to the top of it. I'm also hoping my shoulder heals up enough that I can row or paddle reasonably well by then (lesson learned: exercise and stretch a lot before your first whitewater kayaking trip). Otherwise, I may have to see how much beer and steak it takes to bribe somebody to row my crippled ass around in a guide boat.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Bunsen wrote:The tower sounds like a cool idea, and I'm dangerously tempted to haul 20 lbs of ham radio and battery up to the top of it. I'm also hoping my shoulder heals up enough that I can row or paddle reasonably well by then (lesson learned: exercise and stretch a lot before your first whitewater kayaking trip). Otherwise, I may have to see how much beer and steak it takes to bribe somebody to row my crippled ass around in a guide boat.
I'll be willing to help haul crap up the hill in exchange for some ham tutorials...I'm bringing my handheld...

The paddling necessary to reach the campsite is pretty minimal, and if need be, I can throw a towline on your boat and pull you...

This is gonna be a great trip!

J

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Bunsen wrote:The tower sounds like a cool idea, and I'm dangerously tempted to haul 20 lbs of ham radio and battery up to the top of it. I'm also hoping my shoulder heals up enough that I can row or paddle reasonably well by then (lesson learned: exercise and stretch a lot before your first whitewater kayaking trip). Otherwise, I may have to see how much beer and steak it takes to bribe somebody to row my crippled ass around in a guide boat.
that brings to point how much do we have to worry about bears? is feasibleble to do some cooler camping? or just not smart?
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:06 pm

carolb wrote:that brings to point how much do we have to worry about bears? is feasibleble to do some cooler camping? or just not smart?
I'll be hanging my food, but am more worried about raccoons and squirrels than bears...I don't hang beer and/or booze, and the rest of my food won't take up much room ;)

J

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 am

http://zsny.org/summer2011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - info page about the trip

We'll be meeting up on Friday, July 15, at 1pm

Parking Coords are: 44.502,-74.128

Camping Coords are: 44.482,-74.170

If you are going to be late, you'll have to put in and paddle to the site on your own, which is doable, but a little tricky...if this seems like a hassle, then don't be late!

My Cell # is 5l8-524-439l, and it will be on on Friday (and over the weekend)

The weather outlook looks pretty nice at the moment, but plan on nasty weather and biting insects.

Jamie

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Jamie, is there anything like an agenda? I won't be able to be there until Saturday... don't think I'll have too much trouble paddling to the coords though (btdt). Thinking of staying at the Clear Pond passage site we scouted all three nights?

Any fallback plan if it's not available?
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:18 am

I'm heading out tomorrow or Thursday to put up a tent and leave a decoy camp to save the spot for us.

My thinking is to paddle and explore everyday, do some orienteering and ham stuff and flat water rescue and fishing and cooking and drinking and zombie movies on the iPad...

J

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 am

Well my shoulder is still being a bastard, but I really need some time out in the woods. I might be able to manage left-handed single blade paddling if anybody has a seat in a canoe open. Or if anybody else feels like learning to row, the ol' guide boat is very good at carrying an inert passenger, and there's free beer in it. I'd be kinda bummed to not bring the Adirondack guide boat back to the Adirondacks now that it's, you know, not horribly broken, but we'll see.

I guess I'll also find out if recoil angers the shoulder. Might be a good time to learn weak-side shooting.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Just did a dry load in my canoe. trying to drop some gear, thought I might be able to fit you in Bunsen but just no real room. Sorry.(I'm still working on it) I would be willing to take turns towing you with Jamie, maybe we could rig up a tandum tow rope or something.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Looks like Festus and I have a plan; showing up Saturday is easier on my schedule too. Thanks for the offer, though.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:07 pm

cool, and if you need help packing the ham up to the tower I can help there to. HAM ,mmmmmmm yum! JK :D
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm assuming that some people are coming at the posted time on Friday...is that correct?

Jamie

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 pm

yes Tom and I are shooting for noon (just to get the bugs out canoe load) but will be there no later then 1
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:48 pm

carolb wrote:yes Tom and I are shooting for noon (just to get the bugs out canoe load) but will be there no later then 1
Cool beans...I'll see you guys then...this is gonna be a bunch of fun!

J

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout (Jamie not going, read last pag

Post by Jamie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 am

I went in for some brutal dentistry yesterday, and this morning my head and jaw feel like they're made of broken glass and barbed wire...so I woke up grumpy and dysfunctional and (obviously) lacking in subtlety/discretion...

I apologize to those still on for the trip, but I'm going to back out of the trip...obviously, it's still an option for any or all of you to go, but I won't be there.

Jamie

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”