ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout (Jamie not going, read last page)

Forum for the New York chapter members.

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout (Jamie not going, read last page)

Post by Jamie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:43 pm

One of the best (and most inclusive) trips we've ever done was the ZSNY Summer of 2008 Camping Trip...

It was great for lots of reasons including: great weather, easy location, drinking, swimming, crappy zombie movies, shooting, not too demanding physically...to that I want to add the possibility of paddling for those who are interested...

I found an awesome campsite in Onchiota, NY that has space for all of us (assuming that all of us doesn't go much beyond 10-15...

It is 3 miles from my redneck range, and right on the water with miles of great wilderness paddling available to anyone that wants to throw a boat in the water...

http://myzombieblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/nny08.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Summer 2008 AAR

http://zsny.org/summer2011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - an informational page that I put up to get the ball rolling

I'm pulling the trigger, and announcing this trip for Friday the 15th of July through Monday the 18th of July...I'll likely get there on Thursday the 14th to make sure that we get the site, but people can come for some or all or extra days (no reason you couldn't stay after we all pack up)...

Jamie - nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Re: ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout

Post by MikeM » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Sounds fun, and I'll throw out the offer of a car pool option for the CNY ZS contingent.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Demonstaff
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
28 Weeks Later

Post by Demonstaff » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:53 pm

As long as I can get the time off I'm totally down for this.

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Definitely interested, but too early to commit, until I know the dates.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Post by CrackMunk » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm in if the Dates are good
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Shadow13
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake), Zombie Land, Shaun of the Dead, AAAH Zombies

Post by Shadow13 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:55 pm

carolb wrote:I'm in if the Dates are good

Me too.
When evil threatens the innocent, those with the ability to act have a RESPONSIBILITY to act!!

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm in.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:29 am

I hope to be able to attend. I'd like to do lots of shooting, got some new/old iron to play with.

Just one request. No fucking ration bars. :mrgreen:
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:26 pm

My ambition for this trip is to get a broad range of ZSNYers and have the trip be lots of things to lots of people...

You can drive right up to the camping spot, and put your boat in the water from your car...you can paddle or hike for miles from this spot, or stay in camp all day long...there's a redneck range pretty close for people who want to shoot, and I plan on bringing my power inverter and TV/DVD combo...

My plan for the trip is to get up early each morning for a paddle before other people wake up...hang out with coffee and breakfast for a while as everyone gets up...head to the range for a couple of hours shooting, come back for some food and a swim in the early afternoon...paddle a bit as the sun starts to dip behind the trees...enjoy the company of my fellow crazies over dinner and drinks until after dark...watch a crappy zombie movie or two before heading off ot my hammock...rinse and repeat for 2-3 days...

Jamie - nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

SirSharpe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by SirSharpe » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 pm

nfa wrote:My plan for the trip is to get up early each morning for a paddle before other people wake up...hang out with coffee and breakfast for a while as everyone gets up...head to the range for a couple of hours shooting, come back for some food and a swim in the early afternoon...paddle a bit as the sun starts to dip behind the trees...enjoy the company of my fellow crazies over dinner and drinks until after dark...watch a crappy zombie movie or two before heading off ot my hammock...rinse and repeat for 2-3 days...

Jamie - nfa
No shit - you just described my perfect day!

Quick, set a date so I can ask for the time off. The 4th of July is just too complicated - any other federal holidays comming up? I like mid July (either 15-18 or 22-25), that will give us time to space out a early June camp out (maybe Mike's) and a nice ZSeptember hike (TBD).

P.S. By "ZSeptember hike" I mean.....Marcy!

SirSharpe -
Know thyself; everything in moderation-

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:06 am

I'm in for sometime in mid July- early Aug. that sounds like the perfect trip!
SirSharpe wrote:P.S. By "ZSeptember hike" I mean.....Marcy!
a few friends and a I are planing the same thing in Sept! LOL as well at the end of may maybe
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout, July 15-18

Post by Jamie » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:23 am

I pulled the trigger on this trip, and picked a weekend...

Friday, July 15th through Monday, July 18th

The info webpage is at: http://zsny.org/summer2011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie - nfa

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:35 am

I'm out. Have little Brother's bachelor party that wknd. Have fun everyone.

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Unfortunately I will be in CO and miss this one.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Post by Arcknitect » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:30 pm

I will be in provided I get time off from work. Should be able to bring my brother and a friend along.
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:46 am

I'm in. I'll put in for the T.O. this week.
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:39 pm

This sounds like a great trip, and I don't think I have any conflict with those dates. What's the bug density usually like that time of year?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Bunsen wrote:This sounds like a great trip, and I don't think I have any conflict with those dates. What's the bug density usually like that time of year?
The majority of the black flies will be gone, but there will be some annoying bugs around sunset...I will certainly be sleeping behind mosquito netting, but don't anticipate slathering myself with bug-dope or wearing a netting hat...

In the interest of insuring that we get a sweet spot (even in the event of campers squatting on "our" campsite), I'm scouting 2-3 other spots nearby the primary...we likely won't have to use a backup, but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and hot have it... :wink:

Jamie - nfa

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sat May 07, 2011 11:53 am

I was up there this morning, checking things out while enjoying a backcountry walk with the dogs, and found a better and closer redneck range!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 04628&z=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I updated the map to show the new range location!

Jamie - nfa

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Sun May 29, 2011 6:09 am

I woke up with a fun idea for a lunch outing on one of the days if anyone is up...there's a great campsite a short distance away from our spot...a bit over 1000 feet by water...to get there, we'd go under a bridge and through a massive culvert/tunnel...

I propose swimming to the picnic spot...bringing some food and clothes (and maybe fire-making stuff) in a towed drybag...I've paddled through the culvert a number of times, and it's neat and a bit creepy...swimming through it would be something...the picnic spot is close enough that anyone not wanting to swim back could easily walkback to our campsite (assuming that they brought/wore shoes of some sort on the way there)...

Just an idea...

Jamie

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrackMunk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:59 pm

Man I was having the D.T.s! Ok up date. Tom is coming, we are not taking the motor, and he just got a new WBBB! I just might have to take it from him! that thing is SWEET!
does anyone mind if we bring the pellet rifles to the site? if "yes" no problem. if no, just thinking we could have a small range outside of camp set up for their use.

Jamie: What pellet cal. of rifle did you get? was going to ask before forum went down.

Are we doing a pot luck? Wasn't counting on it but I could whip something up.
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

ZSNY Summer 2011 Campout, July 15-18

Post by Jamie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:06 am

My pellet gun is .177...I may also bring my M6 along, since it's so portable...

I hadn't planned on a potluck, but could if other people want to...

I'm excited to do some paddling and fishing, and swimming and hiking up to that abandoned firetower...

My school district bought my department some iPads, and my plan is to bring one along with some cheesy zombie movies loaded onto it for watching after dark...probably exactly what they had in mind when they gave it to me ;)

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:12 am

I'm probably going to miss this trip. I just took a week off to spend with the family last month, and I got the "are you serious look" when I submitted paperwork for another vacation. Man, do I miss the pre-regionalization days when I was my own boss :(

-Mike
-Seanbaby

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:43 am

Jamie wrote:My pellet gun is .177...I may also bring my M6 along, since it's so portable...

I hadn't planned on a potluck, but could if other people want to...
Jamie, have you used the 1377 much yet? How are you liking it?

My plan was to bring some boomsticks, but leave them in a car except for when we head to the redneck range. I'd bring my Crosman pistol except it's so worn out, it's kind of a pain to use.
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:007”