Plans for the summer

Forum for the Southwest Virginia chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 006 Officers

GunnerMax

Plans for the summer

Post by GunnerMax » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 am

Fellow members of the Commonwealth,

What are your plans for this summer that include prepping, training, purchases, expenses, etc?

Mine is to start my weapons cleaning/repair bench, learn how to start a small garden, buy a couple firearms and properly have the means to maintain them for many years, and spend a lot of time at the range.

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Re: Plans for the summer

Post by Resolute » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:27 am

I'm currently working on the garden. This year is experimental - we're seeing what will grow well in our soil. It's a dug-by-hand project because the tractor is currently out of service. That's another project in itself.

Chickens may be coming in June. Luckily we're past lambing season this year so far, so they're up and running. Now that we have a good stock, hopefully next year we will have a couple meat lambs.

I've also started digging holes for the next section of fence. I consider that part of preps due to security and increasing the foraging area for the sheep.

I may end up building an AR. Ammowise, I have all my immediate needs met; I may still pick some up here and there if I find a good deal. If I'm feeling adventurous, I may get into reloading because I have a bunch of empty cases. I still feel like this is low on my priority list, though, compared to food and security.

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:43 am

Lets see... in lots of regards I've started many summer projects early.

I'm working on getting in better shape. So far I've made improvements to my diet, and I've started doing some basic calisthenics almost daily.

I attend / attending a couple classes on self defense.

I've started a little herb and plant "garden" on my patio.

The first camping trip of the season is coming up.

I want to take the Red Cross General First Aid and CPR class... I use to have certs, and they need to be renewed.

I've got a bunch of stuff taking up space in my place that I could really sell and make some money on.

I've need to see where I stand on my food & water. I've been trying to rotate through it, but I don't have a good system to make sure it's fresh and that I'm at a good supply level. (Any advice on this would be great.)

The rest of the time I'm looking to enjoy life and spend time with friends!
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

GunnerMax

Post by GunnerMax » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Thats great to do First Aid and CPR Training. I have been CPR qualified since 2007, and first aid trained since high school.
I have been on my exercise regimen for 2 weeks now, and I am seeing vast results.
I also will plant herbs to use for cooking.

Reloading is on the end of my priority list as well. reasons being, I just simply do not have the space to have a reloading bench.

@ murph, some suggestions would be to put newer food in the back, plan meals to what you have in the pantry, and realize that food expiration dates are not a definite end time for spoilage. Craigslist is a great place to start selling stuff to make room and money! A favorite place of mine to get food is A: Walmart B: Commissary and C: Dollar store

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:25 pm

get a job so i can start funding again (we started some gardens/vegi patches). Thanking of trading my PSL for something i can work with cheaper (any AR/sig 556 with a 1/7 twist) and gonna try and meet more of you all than just stimp...
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

bookwyrm

Post by bookwyrm » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Increasing my mileage for Rule #1 (Cardio Cardio Cardio)--running a half marathon trail race in Bedford in a couple of weeks. (And maybe running the Richmond marathon in the fall, if anyone wants to come out and holler for me?)

Revamping my pantry and get home gear and restocking supplies--it's all pretty random at the moment.

Hoping to at least get some herbs growing in pots, maybe a tomato plant or two.

Setting on the porch, drinking some adult beverages with friends.

Fox2Gray
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Fox2Gray » Tue May 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Backpacking is the big goal for the summer here. The garden is expanded, so I'll be tending that (if I ever actually start my second round of seeds). I'm hoping to figure out the best way to prepare and plan meals so I can cook highly nutritional food for minimum pack weight... I will begin my research for that as soon as the school year ends.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue May 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Fox2Gray wrote:Backpacking is the big goal for the summer here. The garden is expanded, so I'll be tending that (if I ever actually start my second round of seeds). I'm hoping to figure out the best way to prepare and plan meals so I can cook highly nutritional food for minimum pack weight... I will begin my research for that as soon as the school year ends.
Hint: Calories to weight with the stipulation of no refrigeration.

Bagels with Peanut Butter
Trail mix
Rice
Pasta
Beef Jerky
Pepperoni
Oatmeal

Are some of my favorites, and most don't even require cooking.
Next time I go camping I'm going to experiment with pancake mix. It might be an awesome ultra-light winner for breakfast.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Mountain Rooster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Mad Max, Blade Runner, Red Dawn, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Comet, Army of Darkness, Jericho

Post by Mountain Rooster » Wed May 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Hit the AT for small two day hikes multiple times during the summer.
"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree i'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."Abraham Lincoln

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Bought 1000 rounds of .22 for my reliable and ultra-fun $60 Glenfield (Marlin) tube fed rifle. Now to see about getting an AR lower...

JimBobVT
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by JimBobVT » Fri May 18, 2012 9:05 pm

I plan to post on the forum more than once this year....

Seriously though, I am planning on compiling information in a binder from these inter-webs, related to survival. It occurs to me that my 3 hour battery life wont go far in a SHTF situation....
Am I a Noob or a Newb here?
I was once voted most likely to be patient x.

Dasho101

Post by Dasho101 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Ok i said i was gonna swap my psl for a M4gery... slight change... DR200 by daewoo... piston type.... i thank im in love now im gonna start saveing for the parts to convert and have spairs
Jeriah wrote:

Dasho101

Post by Dasho101 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Resolute wrote:Bought 1000 rounds of .22 for my reliable and ultra-fun $60 Glenfield (Marlin) tube fed rifle. Now to see about getting an AR lower...
i thank there are a few guys on VA gun trader selling or trading lowers in your area... ya mite have to pay a transfer fee... mite not
Jeriah wrote:

GunnerMax

Post by GunnerMax » Fri May 25, 2012 3:44 am

If you are looking for firearm parts, check out vaguntrader.com There is always many things going back and forth on there.

Otherwise, my wife OK'ed my AK purchase post-deployment. Now I have to find a place that stocks it, which is proving very difficult. :evil: :evil:

Dasho101

Post by Dasho101 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:40 pm

ya can always order online and get it transferred to your favorat local gun shop
Jeriah wrote:

zebraroniancheez

Post by zebraroniancheez » Sun May 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Started a workout program this week. I am also needing to sell some stuff on Craig's list. Wanting to secure permanent housing. ... lots of stuff to do
-"Good; Bad; I'm the guy with the gun"-

-Your post count just increased by 1 level!!!......HP +2, reading +4, writing +1....-

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:006”