Washington State Guard (WSG) - Any members here?

Forum for the Pacific Northwest chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 005 Officers

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:16 pm

Washington State Guard

I've been bitching about needing something like this for years, and I just now ran across the website. Gah!
Anyhow - do we have any members with info/experience with them?
Thx
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Washington State Guard (WSG) - Any members here?

Post by DrGonzo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:53 pm

DropZedFred wrote:Washington State Guard

I've been bitching about needing something like this for years, and I just now ran across the website. Gah!
Anyhow - do we have any members with info/experience with them?
Thx
I noticed this too when I was considering going for a commission in the Washington State Army National Guard. I decided not to do it since they are on a pretty regular deployment schedule, and I already did my time in the sandbox with the Marines. And my wife threatened me with bodily harm if I got deployed again.

This seems a better fit than the WAARNG (coolest acronym ever) since it's a state only program, and I do miss some aspects of the military. I want to use them for the training like I did with CERT, and be available for disaster response in the community. My main issue is that you have to buy your own uniforms, which kind of blows. Any word on the kind of training that they do? I didn't see it on the website.
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:42 pm

Boy, my Google-Fu is weak on this one. There doesn't seem to be much online regarding these guys, except for a very questionable posting on another forum talking about WSG using AKs and 1980's surplus field gear. I'm pretty sure he was either confused or crazy. My interest is piqued. DropZedFred, have you emailed the point of contact for more info?

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:12 pm

Waiting for a callback - not expecting it very soon...
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:14 pm

DropZedFred wrote:Waiting for a callback - not expecting it very soon...
Called and emailed a list of questions. I'll post their reply, if any.

StarDoc

Post by StarDoc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:06 pm

I looked into the State Guard about a year ago and it appears that their main mission is working in the State EOC (Emergencie Operations Center) during disasters and such. They have members all over the state so I do not know for certain what others in different areas do. I do believe that they do not carry weapons when they are activated to duty or during drills. Yes, you do have to provide your own uniforms and equipment, but there are no yearly dues like other orginizations.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:50 pm

I got an email back today. It pretty much repeated the website and didn't answer my specific questions, but I can ask him directly when I speak to him. I may check out the drill this week. Email was as follows:

Thanks for your interest in the Washington State Guard.

The Washington State Guard (WSG) is an all-volunteer State Defense Force for the State of Washington. It is the third element of the military forces in the Washington Military Department: the Washington Army National Guard, the Washington Air National Guard and State Guard. While the Army and Air Guard, forming part of the Washington National Guard, can be mobilized to federal service, the WSG is only utilized within Washington state.

The Washington State Guard consists of two brigades. The First Infantry Brigade is located at the Seattle Armory and maintains a battalion in Olympia. The Second Infantry Brigade is located in Spokane. The WSG HQ is located at Camp Murray in Tacoma, Washington.

State Guard soldiers drill in a non-pay status one day a month and two days during the summer. However, WSG soldiers can and have been called up to paid State
Active Duty to support the Washington Military Department in a variety of missions within the state. We have been deployed to the State Emergency Operation
Center and many County Emergency Operation Centers in Washington to coordinate National Guard resource request to state/federally declared disasters.

State Guard members may resign their enlistment or commission at any time, unless mobilized or in paid State Active Duty status. Most WSG soldiers have served in the military, but some come straight from civilian life.

Would you be able to tell me a little about yourself including:

Prior military service/branch/rank at discharge
Military MOS/Rating
Type of discharge (as applicable)
Police Record - including felonies and misdemeanors
Education Level
Home Phone

If you have additional questions we can schedule a time to go over them. In the mean time, I'll direct you to the WSG website at http://washingtonguard.org/wsg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can also set up a time and date to visit our unit during a normal drill weekend which normally occurs on a Saturday. The remaining dates for this year are
November 5, 2011and December 3, 2011.

Thanks for your interest.

WOC James Alexander
S1, Washington State Guard

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:41 am

Can't do 5 Nov, got vehicle maintenance to do.
You good for December?

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:22 pm

PM sent

Squeek

Post by Squeek » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Actually ran into one of these guys yesterday at the Regional Disaster Round Table. Talking to him they provide WA ANG liasion to county EOCs. I think they are supplementing the WAANG due to deployments. I could russel up the guys name from PCDEM. They are looking for prior military 18-64. Non pay status until activated, only in state deployment.
Damaged people are dangerous. They know how to survive..... Josephine Hart

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Yup, that's them...
Working a visit soon.

Seacoyote

Post by Seacoyote » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi there,
My name is SGT. Jay Brower with the Washington State Guard. If I can be of assistance please let me know.

regards,
Jay

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Seacoyote wrote:Hi there,
My name is SGT. Jay Brower with the Washington State Guard. If I can be of assistance please let me know.

regards,
Jay
Thanks! A couple of us have already started the application process. Got any good stories, or tips?

Seacoyote

Post by Seacoyote » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:18 pm

That is good to hear,
I've been in the State Guard since 2008 and haven't looked back since.
Its a good organization and every year that goes by, we become a little better and little tighter.
MG Lowenberg has a good perception of us, (we have worked very hard to earn the TAG's trust)

A bit about what Ive done while in the Guard.
I've taken all of the FEMA courses for my senior level MEMS certification, I am also Liaison Officer qualified.
I spent 1 year with the funeral honors program until we withdrew from Mt Tahoma due to lack of staffing. that was a real bummer.
I was on the honor guard detail for the Militia Ball in 2009.
I've spent time as the supply NCO and the Training NCO for the 1st Bn.
I spent a day with the South Carolina State Guard Provost Marshall's unit to see how they incorporate MP's into their State Defense Force. (Great bunch of folks.)
My current mission will be to support the Selective Service mission as tasked to the WSG by TAG.

On a National Level,
there is an IG report due out that will lay out how the DoD relates to State Defense Forcs. Personally I believe that it will be a good report.

Also from the NGB National Guard Bureau.

NGR 10-4 National Guard Interaction with State Defense Forces has been revised.

Like I said, we are making progress.

best regards,
Jay

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Seacoyote - welcome to ZS!
They were bragging about you on our visit - congrats! :D
and thanks.

hafgan

Post by hafgan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Came across this thread. Glad to see SGT Brower also found it.

Great to read about your williingness to step up and serve. I've been in the WSG since Fall of 2010 and love it.

You don't have to be prior-service, but it helps as you will be brought up to speed quicker and can get involved that much faster. They do a good job bringing you in at the rank you left service as. Non-prior service comes in as a PV1 and the rank progressions roughly mirror the Army. I came in as non-prior service.

Some of the primary characteristics (apart from the no-criminal record, pass medical exam,, etc) that the WSG is looking for is an enthusiasm to assist during emergencies and creativity and ideas for creating new opportunities. Since it is volunteer you'll get what you want out of the experience.

There are already many unique opportunities to serve and with the creativity and willingness to make the necessary contacts with the appropriate National Guard soldiers (And of course get the necessary training) there can be many more.

None of our current missions involve us being armed, but we have in the past (and hopefully will again) assisted running the ranges for the National Guard training and also some soldiers have taught MACDIS courses. It all depends on the current training you bring to the WSG and what training you get while in it. During WWI and WWII our primary mission was to man the National Guard armories and during WWII guard infrastructure. But since WWII SDF's like the WSG have evolved to assist the NG in many different areas - wherever the needs are.

Check out the events page for 2011 pictures of some of the events we've done this year: http://washingtonguard.org/wsg/events/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cliff

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:35 am

Hmmm... looks like we picked the right group to run with!
I'm looking at taking an active roll, so I'd appreciate any tips/tricks at the training (I've got permission to be a fly on the wall until approved).

Seacoyote

Post by Seacoyote » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:28 am

Zed,
Cliff is right about the fact that you get what you put into it. Based on the graphic you have it looks like you will bring a lot of experience with you.
Our CSM has put together a good initial entry training program for non priors, Were supporting a variety of missions as assigned by TAG. However we are spread pretty thin. As new folks come into the WSG our ability to support and expand into new missions increases. Our Primary mission is to support the State in Emergency Response operations as Laison Officers and Augmentees (At least that is what I've heard talk of.) So in support of that mission I would suggest down loading the MEMS (Military Emergency Management Support) hand book from SGAUS.org. Start by taking the Basic MEMS training courses. (I am not the MEMS coordinator, but I will be happy to answer any question that you have or direct you to the propper person.) The courses are are all on line from FEMA and pretty straight forward. Hopefuly your enlistment process wont take too long. Mine took a few months, the US Army in their wisdon classified me as deceased, I cleared that issue up.... does that make me undead now....? its a funny story, I'll have to tell you about it some time.
Depending on where you are located, I can probably point you in the right direction when you are ready to pick up your ACU's and other gear.

My suggestion concerning gear is to wait untill your enlistment orders are cut, once that happens, here is a basic list and procurement timeline.

Initial purchase by second drill:

1 set ACU Jacket, Trouser (Clothing sales at JBLM or surplus.) Stay awy form tru-spec, propper is acceptable
1 3 pack of sand t shirts, wicking prefered
Patrol cap
Tan belt
Tan boots (there are a vaiety of boots out there, stay away from any zip or 6" boot.)
Please note that sewn on rank, name and branch is now acceptable per ALTRACT

I would recommend adding gear/clothing as money allows based on the seasons.

I might suggest for this winter/spring:
ECWCS Gen III
Parka level 6
Fleece jacket level 3

Untill you finish all of the MEMS Training and Liaison Officer training the possability of deployment to cover an emergency is pretty slim, however there are times when we are outside. Better to be prepared than not.

Even though we are State and less formal than the big Army or Navy,
We still follow and observe military regs and protocol.

For the grooming, wear and appearance, we are covered and follow AR-670-1, plus ALTRACT's

Cliff,
Good to see you found this board too!
I'm not finished with a gear list. I should have it completed this week end.

looking forward to meeting you all in person.

Jay

hafgan

Post by hafgan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:08 am

Just watched the KETC Video on ZombieSquad. If you bring that sort of creativity and energy (and humor!) you'll have a lot of fun with the WSG. Hope to meet you at the next drill.

Cliff

Seacoyote

Post by Seacoyote » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 am

Cliff,
Just talked to 1SG Stickney, he may come back in Feb.
Good news.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Where could i go to find the medical disqualifications list for the State Guard?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:29 am

Good question, my Doc wouldn't check the box for "Medically Qualified/Disqualified" because he did not have a way to verify. So he put a "- Washington Guard?" next to the Qualified box.
We'll see what happens.

Seacoyote

Post by Seacoyote » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 am

Medical disqualification list?

To my knowledge, there is not one. It comes down to, can you do the job.

However you may want to consult WOC Alexsander on that one.

best regards,
Jay

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Any idea when the Jan drill is? My weekends are starting to fill up.

Return to “ZSC:005”