Joint Bug Out Beta Test 3.0 28-30 August 2015

Forum for the Pacific Northwest chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 005 Officers

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Joint Bug Out Beta Test 3.0 28-30 August 2015

Post by pasha » Fri May 01, 2015 6:01 am

Joint Bug Out Beta Test 3.0
Date: 28-30 August 2015
Where: Dryad’s Rest, Dryad, Washington (near Rainbow Falls State Park)
What: This is a Bug Out beta test to test your evacuation plans, communications, and gear. The objectives are primarily to test road navigation of primary and secondary routes, field testing your “Grab and go” bug out gear, and get some practice in establishing camp operations as one might need to during an extended emergency.
How: Members will rendezvous at Dryads’s Rest, a 58-acre wooded property in the Willipa Hills in Lewis County. Upon arrival at the parking area, report to the biffy for instructions. (the “Biffy Briefing”) Parking is less than 200 yards from the main camp..

Details: Main camping will be in the large camping meadow known as “The Village”- (vehicles can drive in to unload on Friday, and drive in again on Sunday to pack up. No vehicles in camp on Saturday.) Main camping has plenty of open ground for large tents, and is flanked with a nice wooded area suitable for smaller tents and hammocks. There is a large fire pit in the center of the clearing for cooking and socializing . ( Note- Truck campers and/or trailers can be set up in the main camp ONLY if they arrive before evening on Friday. Otherwise, they will need to be located in the parking area.)

Although there is a 100 yard range under construction on the property, the site has a “condition three” rule (nothing chambered unless hot on the range.) Standard ZS safety rules apply, and there will also be a designated safety officer who serves as primary liaison with the property owner. (Also, since Dryad’s Rest is a working farm, it is important to close and secure all gates behind you.)
Friday afternoon is load in and set up.
Saturday will have a foot tour of the property (some of this is through fairly thick brush.) The tour will cover much of the perimeter trail, and will visit most of the other significant areas on the property. (Sheepgoat Heights Winter Camp, the Hobbit House, the Pirate Ship, the range, etc.)
Saturday evening is a group cooking event, and if all goes well, there will be a live butchering demo the same day. (If enough attendees commit, we will purchase a critter to kill, clean, and eat.)
There will be several other projects which we may or may not get to, which may include locating a practice Observation Post, making improvements to camp area, and clearing out a wider lane on the range. ( A lot of this can be done Sunday, if we feel like it.)
For HAM guys, there is an HF dipole antenna rigged up at Winter Camp. If you bring an HF rig and want to try it out, you are welcome to connect to the antenna. We should have a good comms demo going for those who are interested.
Comms: We will be on the standard FRS channel 5.5, and also 446.500 mHz for licensed folks.

Costs/fees: We all need to chip in for the biffy rental, which will be located in the parking area. $10 per person should cover that. If you want to contribute to the group cooking demo, an extra $5-10 donation would be appreciated to pay for the meat- but is not necessary if you don’t have it.
Your greatest adversary hides in your mirror
ZS:OO5 Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/433432705260/

CQZ Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Re: Joint Bug Out Beta Test 3.0 28-30 August 2015

Post by CQZ Jinxmedic » Mon May 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Yes! :clap:

This is my favorite event (but I am somewhat biased.)

JoAnn, the property owner, has been very good to us.
"Building communities, one body at a time"

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 04, 2015 4:24 pm

I say it every time, but I'll have to wait and see what my shift is (should be bidding for it next week) I'll be going for at least a partial weekend (Thurs-Sat most likely). So with that I should be able to get a Sunday no problem! Look forward to making it to this event!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

CQZ Jinxmedic

Post by CQZ Jinxmedic » Tue May 05, 2015 11:26 am

Hopefully, we'll sneak an opportune work party on to the site in the next few weeks to do some work on the range...

Also: Just FYI, I will have the new-and-improved vinyl rain pattern stencil with me at the 2015 Bug Out Beta Test. Bring your own rattle cans. (it takes two cans on average to do a single hammock tarp.)

Black November

Post by Black November » Tue May 05, 2015 2:16 pm

I won't be able to make it.
(You guys are killing me..... I just RSVP'd for a TSP campout in Oregon that same weekend.)
"I guess you broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't you" -Burt- Tremors
WINTERGEDDON: IX, X, XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII
SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

CQZ Jinxmedic

Post by CQZ Jinxmedic » Wed May 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Well, cancel.

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Post by pasha » Wed May 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Black November wrote:I won't be able to make it.
(You guys are killing me..... I just RSVP'd for a TSP campout in Oregon that same weekend.)
I feel ya. Right after the date came out for last work party I found out that was the same weekend as the Bushcraft forums campout. I will make it to one of those yet. This time I hadn't seen the TSP one.
I think we just need to schedule more campouts. :awesome:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 07, 2015 12:32 pm

It looks really good for me to get weekends off this summer, I would be down to do more camp outs. I do also plan on doing a lot of hiking this summer. I've already put in over 60 miles in the last month or so. I will let you all know when I figure out my summer shift and we can try to get more camp outs organized!

Looking forward to this camp out especially! I might even have a new toy for the range by this time! :clap:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

CQZ Jinxmedic

Post by CQZ Jinxmedic » Fri May 08, 2015 12:51 pm

DR is a great little piece of property. (At some point, we really need to try an overland hike through the state forest bordering the north property line.)

I may be spending an overnight here and there to continue working on Winter Camp a bit at a time. I'll post when I go, to see if anyone is available to tag along. Also, this site is available for various 'Gedddons, if we want...

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:41 am

Just posting here to bring this thread back up as a reminder to folks to make sure to get time off or what ever for this. I had forgotten about this event until I started posting in the 005 forum and realized there was this thread and the Clipper mine one. So just month early heads up for this one.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

CQZ Jinxmedic

Post by CQZ Jinxmedic » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:22 pm

We have a lot of training opportunities at the Bug Out Beta Test 3.0. I am very much looking forward to this.

CQZ Jinxmedic

Post by CQZ Jinxmedic » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:41 am

We are now about a month out for the Bug Out Beta Test 3.0.

One of the major goals of this event (as it has been in previous years), it to simulate an actual bug out in emergency conditions. It is possible to get there without touching the interstate. For those coming from the north, we have tested and used an alternate route east of I-5, as follows: Highway 7 through Parkland/Spanaway, Highway 507 through McKenna (stop at Stewart's Meats for Landsjaeger and pepperoni sticks!) then Yelm, Tenino, and finally Centralia, continue through Centralia on to Gold Street/National Avenue, past the fairgrounds (Yard Birds will be on the left, and is definitely worth a visit for last-minute bug out gear) and into Chehalis. Going with the traffic flow in Chehalis, turn right on Main Street- this will take you across I-5 and becomes Highway 6. (which would have been your exit if you took I-5).

Feeling extra adventurous? Park in Chehalis, and bike in on the Willapa Hills bike trail- this will take you DIRECTLY to the property.

Another way in that none of us have tried yet, is from the north over the hills from Rochester.

As we arrive on station, we check in with whoever will be at the gate. If no one is there, there will be instructions in the biffy. We intended to do watches this year, with radio contact from OP to CP. Should be fun.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:16 pm

I was just checking out Stewart's meats online. Looks like they have a great exotic meat selection. I might have to pick up some rabbit and/or maybe some rattlesnake on my way in. Though elk is pretty tempting too. Elk and caribou are my two favorite red meats, but it has been awhile since I have had rabbit or rattlesnake while I have had elk not to long ago. Well still plenty of time till I have to choose and I might have to just wait and see what is available and what looks good while there.

Just finished my 1911 build earlier this week too, so I am excited to get a chance to bring it and give it some testing. Though I might sneak off to do some test shooting before the Beta Bug Out just to make sure it is working correctly, since it would sort of suck to have a failure while at the event. Just have to wait for the full cerakote dry time before I actually fire it (I used cerakote C air dry on it which takes 5 days to fully dry). So far all the dry fit functions are fine, though had some issues with the firing pin sticking for a bit. But after a bit of sanding the firing pin hole to smooth things out haven't had any trouble, STI slides and their 9mm firing pins on 45's don't make it easy.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

CQZ Jinxmedic

Post by CQZ Jinxmedic » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:41 pm

If you want to shoot and have chain saws, bring them- we will need these to flesh out the range a bit. (There are three or so large diameter trees that are still obstructing the lane, trees that we didn't feel like taking out with hand tools the last couple of times out there.)

Range work party consists of three parts (Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, as required):

1) Final clearing (that's those three trees, and whatever brush has popped up since April)
2) Backstop prep (cribbing and filling);
3) Firing line prep, and range markers at 5, 10, 25, and 50 yards. (Backstop is at 100.)

Range use is always under control of a designated Range Safety Officer, who is also responsible for clearing use with property owner.

Range is intended for use with firearms, archery, and thrown weapons.

Property is "Condition 3" or "Condition 4" only, except on range. (or during designated coyote shoot.)

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:16 pm

BTW here is a pic of the 1911 build I just finished.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Mr_Sheesh

Post by Mr_Sheesh » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 am

Looks like a 1911 :)

Under 2 weeks to go, good! Looking forwards to the Village, easier walk for me :P
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” ― Albert Einstein

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:50 pm

One more week, I am looking forward to this event. Getting some camping, seeing the 005ers, and generally having fun.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:15 am

BTW I am going to need some directions to the location sometime in the next week. If the directions aren't being posted for opsec please PM me some directions or map coordinates so I can plan my route.

Though worse comes to worse I will drive along 6 CQing Zombie Squad until someone answers.

*edit to add, I was PMed some directions.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:47 pm

I got a Zombies Industries Kevin zombie target today for some fun Zombie target training.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:48 am

Got Sunday off, and got a new toy for the range. Does anyone have a sled for sighting in said new toy? Just to make sure everyone is on the same page I think we are meeting at the make space and caravaning down. May want to message Pasha to see for sure.

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by pasha » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Some folks are caravaning down, but most are just meeting us onsite.
For the convoy, meet Friday morning at the maker space 10 AM, hit road at 11 AM.
This will simulate an actual bug condition by meeting at a preplanned rendezvous, load-out from prepositioned supplies, and commencing convoy operations with a hard ETD. (Convoy procedures variable depending on number of vehicles partcipating.)

Black November

Post by Black November » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:14 pm

I'm available to attend after all. My other TSP campout got cancelled, so I will see you guys this weekend.
"I guess you broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't you" -Burt- Tremors
WINTERGEDDON: IX, X, XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII
SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Black November wrote:I'm available to attend after all. My other TSP campout got cancelled, so I will see you guys this weekend.
Yay more the merrier. Glad to hear you're gonna be able to make it.

This event has gotten me off my lazy butt to finally seam seal my 2 BCUSA tarps. While not overly prone to leaking unless it is a heavy rain and even then just barely, I had been wanting to seam seal the tarps for awhile and just never made it a priority. But since it is looking highly probable of some rain during this event I decided it was time to make the seams water tight. Mixed up some DIY seam sealer, and gave them a good coat yesterday. Even did a little seam sealing on my tent rain fly to just strengthen them with the left over, though didn't have enough to do all the tent seams. Since I haven't had issues with the tent leaking at all, not really worried about that, it was just a way to use up the left over.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

RustyG
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by RustyG » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:48 pm

I will be in the AO from British Columbia this weekend. I will be mostly south and East of you. I will try you on UHF. My call sign is VA7RPG
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
Hunter S. Thompson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
Mike Tyson

Return to “ZSC:005”