Realities of your Survival Location

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

max velocity

Realities of your Survival Location

Post by max velocity » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

I wanted to out a few thoughts out there about the realities of your survival location. To read what is out there in terms of opinion and advice, it appears that to survive any coming apocalypse you need to be in a fortified self-sustaining retreat somewhere out in the boonies, with three years of food in the basement and the ability to grow food plus animals. Good stuff; you will be really well positioned if that is where you are with your preparations. The reality for many is that they simply do not have that. For whatever reason, they may be in an urban or suburban environment. They may have nowhere else to realistically ‘bug out’ to. They may have a goal to achieve the retreat, but not be there yet, or have bug out land that is fairly basic and requires them to move to it following a collapse.

Let me first say that this post is not so concerned with the kind of short term natural disaster that would involve you bugging out with little choice, to avoid perhaps a wildfire or earthquake or similar. What I am really concerned about here is a collapse of society, the veritable TEOTWAWKI, where it all goes to chaos, the SHTF, and we are all in a big mess surviving together. For most of us who are not ‘super-preppers’, we will be left to survive where we are, in our suburban homes or whatever applies to you. Now, it is true that some will be better set up than others. Reasons include location, such as inner city one bedroom apartment versus big house on several acres in a sub-division. Or amount of preps that you have, food supplies etc.

Everything depends on the situation and the threat that emerges, including your own personal and family situation and preparations. One key thing is not to make assumptions now, but to remain flexible. My advice is not to ‘head for the hills’ by reflex, because unless you have somewhere to go you will be out there with the rest of the refugees in the chaos. If you even have a minimal amount of preparations at home you should shelter in place and make do the best you can. This should be a low profile shelter in place where you set yourself up to draw minimum attention to yourself as the waves of chaos pass. You may be sheltering in a basement with your family, for example.

Of course, if the threat changes, then you will need to adapt to it. An organized gang of well-armed marauders going house to house in your neighborhood would be an example of when to make the decision to bug out. Be flexible and don’t go the opposite of the ‘head for the hills’ mentality and die in your basement simply because you did not want to pack up and go. However, I think that it is given that for anyone sheltering with supplies in this way there will at some point come one or more challenges such as home invasion from outside groups. This will also probably apply to those in rural retreats at some point as the horde fans out looking to survive. Be ready to defend yourself against these challenges as necessary. Think of how it will likely be after the event, not how things are right now. Those in the rural retreats will probably have a rude awakening when they realize that the horde has reached them and the demographics have changed!

I think that there are two main things that you have to achieve, phases if you like, in order to survive in the long term:

1) Have enough stores, firearms, tactical ability and numbers if possible, as well as a covert location in order to survive the event and the initial chaos and disorder. This is a short to medium term goal.

2) Long term, you will need to be able to live in a protected sustainable community. All prepper stores will run out in the end and the only solution to survive and thrive is to be able to produce food and protect your people and your resources.

So, unless you started in a sustainable protected retreat, you will have to survive where you are until such time as you can get to one. Remember that in a full TEOTWAWKI scenario there will be mass panic and chaos as people try to find food and survive. There will be a huge population die-off and there will likely be a delay of a year or two before food can be produced. You have to survive from the one to the other. Even after the die –off there will still be good and bad guys out there. Good guys probably living in those sustainable retreats or locations, bad guys marauding and living off what they can loot and pillage. There may be other complicating factors, such as civil war or foreign invasion. I use the TV series Jericho as an example of this.

So, if you survived the event and were not already in that ideal retreat, you then have to move. Did you hide and protect your bug out vehicle with a supply of stored gas? Are you going to have to walk, or use other modes of transport? The key thing is that your group will have to make it to somewhere where they can be accepted by a current sustainable community, or move onto land where they can create one. This will involve travel of some sort and also the ability to defend your selves while moving from A to B. If it is true TEOTWAWKI, then it could go on for years and you may have to travel to establish a farm somewhere. If you are going to be taken in by a community or small town that is sustaining itself, then you have to show your worth in some way.

Anyway, that is some food for thought.

Tater Raider

Re: Realities of your Survival Location

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 pm

I put "bug out lodge site:zombiehunters.org" in Google and got over 39,000 results. You might try looking at what's already been posted.

EtA: I'm sorry, that sounded extremely rude, so let me try again.

Zombie Squad has been around since '03 (says so in the banner even). You might want to take a look at what's already been posted before starting something new. A lot of folk have run into this issue, me included, so no offense is intended.

max velocity

Post by max velocity » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Tater Raider wrote:I put "bug out lodge site:zombiehunters.org" in Google and got over 39,000 results. You might try looking at what's already been posted.

EtA: I'm sorry, that sounded extremely rude, so let me try again.

Zombie Squad has been around since '03 (says so in the banner even). You might want to take a look at what's already been posted before starting something new. A lot of folk have run into this issue, me included, so no offense is intended.
Oh Tater Raider, my buddy, bustin' my balls again... :)

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:09 pm

He has a point, though.

You might also consider perusing our Wiki:

http://zombiehunters.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zombiehunters.org/wiki/index.php ... l_strategy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zombiehunters.org/wiki/index.php/BOV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
etc

The Hall of Fame section also has a lot of good pre-compiled info: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=89" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:56 pm

max velocity wrote:Oh Tater Raider, my buddy, bustin' my balls again... :)
I seem to have a knack for it... ah well. Nothing personal and hope you have fun here - it's a good place to learn a lot. And I still hae a lot to learn. :mrgreen:

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:55 pm

He wasn't busting balls, he was trying to help you not seem like a know-it-all that people will dismiss out of hand, because they ignore the ample info already posted here & post the same info, again, acting as though it is awesome new ideas... At least read a few, mention them in your post... add on... wahtever. But it is just human nature to roll your eyes when some new guy comes around telling you what you already know.

The real point is, this site is quite a bit ahead of the curve on most things... Lots of guys posting great info, who have been lots of places & done lots of things, or (maybe and) have great alalytics, and add that way.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:28 pm

maldon007 wrote:He wasn't busting balls, he was trying to help you not seem like a know-it-all that people will dismiss out of hand, because they ignore the ample info already posted here & post the same info, again, acting as though it is awesome new ideas... At least read a few, mention them in your post... add on... wahtever. But it is just human nature to roll your eyes when some new guy comes around telling you what you already know.

The real point is, this site is quite a bit ahead of the curve on most things... Lots of guys posting great info, who have been lots of places & done lots of things, or (maybe and) have great alalytics, and add that way.
emphasis added......

too late...
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 pm

I like the new guy. Exciting threads!
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:40 pm

I would also point out that PAW scenarios are in the .01% for most of us as far as likelihood. Something to consider when posting.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:24 am

"it appears that to survive any coming apocalypse you need to be in a fortified self-sustaining retreat somewhere out in the boonies, with three years of food in the basement and the ability to grow food plus animals." You forgot the 10K rounds of ammo per person.

Pretty hard corps. And the stuff of fantasy 'survivalist' websites.

I will agree in a wide-area disaster situation crime will likely bad - bad to horrible. Folks living in a rural area may be subject to raids - if living on an isolated farmstead -- Ferfal has noted this more than once in his on-going blog. One need only look at Mexico to see had bad it could get. In the case of Argentina it was a failed economy. Mexico, a failed/failing government.

What to do?

I often see posts here talking about getting to know your neighbors, joining in a neighborhood watch or a CERT organization.

In war-torn Iraq we saw the CLC evolve into the Sons of Iraq self-police forces.

In Mexico, villages have run off corrupt cops and do their own security.

In Lebanon, the "politicals" kept the neighborhood safe.

We've seen something akin to this here after a disaster - the most recent major and wide-area disaster in NO. Folks taking the responsibility for their neighborhoods.

http://www.pdc.org/iweb/hazard_info_che ... jsp?subg=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (features neighborhood gatherings)

Armed gangs, home invasions and neighborhood defense in Chile after quakes

Up to now, in the US, relief agencies arrive within a week or so, neighborhood watch filling in for the meantime.
You would have to go back to the Civil War (aka War of Northern Aggression) to see the kind of widespread WROL the OP posits.

I have given this some thought. In my books, Vets step up to provide framework for society to continue. Others have offered different outlooks. As noted above, most of us see that while total collapse might be possible, a total collapse of society is on the far end of probable.

On the other hand, a house fire, earthquake or tornado is a far more common problem - and are worth doing the planning to deal with by both you and the community.

I worked for years as a Business Continuity Manager (Disaster guy) -even have the college classes to show for it. Most cities are far more prepared than many give them credit for, as are most major utilities. Very small towns and villages, not so much.

It's worth contacting your local emergency services department to see exactly what they have planned. Ask for a copy of the current response plan. You may be surprised.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:48 am

When the TEOWAWKI occurs, why don't we all just bug-out to Walmart? :rofl: :clap:
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:01 am

Doc Torr wrote:I would also point out that PAW scenarios are in the .01% for most of us as far as likelihood. Something to consider when posting.
That's the root issue on the "armor up your ride" thread too. I can see getting a private car hardened against a car jacking or motorcycle ride up crime like is so common in the third world, and I can see building an art-car thing for fun. A DIY MRAP - no so much.

If you're thinking about a true Zombie Apocalypse, then Zombie Combat Tactics might be a better section than here, where people are taking posts very seriously.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 am

ODA 226 wrote:When the TEOWAWKI occurs, why don't we all just bug-out to Walmart? :rofl: :clap:
Okay, but just to pick-up some extra spices (to pay the Meat World Spice Weasel's toll) before we hop on the Meat World Dragon and fly off to Meat World.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Re: Realities of your Survival Location

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:17 am

RickOShea wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:When the TEOWAWKI occurs, why don't we all just bug-out to Walmart? :rofl: :clap:
Okay, but just to pick-up some extra spices (to pay the Meat World Spice Weasel's toll) before we hop on the Meat World Dragon and fly off to Meat World.
I'll have the Mooseborne Cavalry arm of the Supermutant Rainbow Army grab the spice, and a few kegs too. PAW barbecue FTW.

Sorry for the derail. Back to preparing for the extremely unlikely.

May I recommend a happy medium, OP? Instead of full PAW, howabout a discussion of this topic in regards to a Serbia/Bosnia/Argentine Collapse scenario, which lasted more than the 90 days that the extreme natural disasters, but is more likely than the end of the world.

Sent via Neural Net Uplink
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:46 am

Don't ass-hat a thread. Thinking a true complete collapse of society can't truly happen ? The roman empire, The Maya civilization, The Soviet Union. And today the world is interconnected, so it wont be one country that falls, but all in a neat domino effect. Is it likely to happen ? That is the question, more people care about fixing things now than before but still. When most countries are facing problems it only takes one to start a world wide problem, look at wee Germany, they dragged most countries into a conflict and most wouldn't think them capable of it. Now we have china and north Korea capable of starting something at the wrong time. If there is a downfall of man it will be human nature.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

max velocity

Re: Re: Realities of your Survival Location

Post by max velocity » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:48 am

Doc Torr wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
I'll have the Mooseborne Cavalry arm of the Supermutant Rainbow Army grab the spice, and a few kegs too. PAW barbecue FTW.

Sorry for the derail. Back to preparing for the extremely unlikely.

May I recommend a happy medium, OP? Instead of full PAW, howabout a discussion of this topic in regards to a Serbia/Bosnia/Argentine Collapse scenario, which lasted more than the 90 days that the extreme natural disasters, but is more likely than the end of the world.

Sent via Neural Net Uplink
Sure. But I like PAW! :)

I have been to the Balkans a couple of times, various countries. My feeling is that those situations were a lot longer than 90 days and involved TEOTWAWKI situations for those involved. Ethnic cleansing, full warfare, snipers murdering people in the streets. There is the image of the sad columns of tractors and trailers in the Former Yugoslavia; the man driving the tractor, the family in the trailer: Road block, the men taken away and shot. In those situations the people were refugees at the mercy of the armed thugs/troops. How would they have countered that? They were not 'preppers' and warfare was ravaging the country. Maybe if they could have been preppers they could have hidden away somewhere and avoided being refugees out on the roads. But those sorts of country collapse situations often involve large movements of troops and refugees with widespread fighting and killing, and it would be hard to avoid it or not have to 'bug out'.

As for less extreme situations, perhaps more of the Argentina kind, then my thought is that you have enough preps in your house to last through the short term crisis and shortages. Be organized at home. Be able to hide and defend your preps. It ties back in to the original post where the situation is either not extreme enough to 'bug out' or you simply don't have somewhere to bug out to. You stay in place and work on surviving through the crisis. If the country does not recover, then you remain flexible and adjust as the situation develops, perhaps considering relocating in the long run to a sustainable location.

max velocity

Post by max velocity » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Here is something to think about if you are considering going mobile in any form following a disaster i.e. bugging out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Granted, they also raided homes, but if you hunkered down you may be better off than moving in the initial stages. The situation will either recover and law enforecement will start to stand down, or it will go towards full on PAW and law enforcement will likely fade away, perhaps making it easier to bug out, at least retaining your self-defense weapons while you do so.

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Yeah its been talked about already, but opening a new discussion is still worthwhile; there may be something new to come out of it after all. Also if we routinely kill a new persons discussion that person is going to go elsewhere and we lose a unique perspective that could prove invaluable.

And yes, the chances of a complete TEOTWAWKI may seem remote to many or even most, but many others (myself included) think a complete collapse is all too likely.

After all, the ZS premise is all about "If you're prepped for a zombie apocolypse you're prepared for just about anything."
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Hey max velocity, good attitude coming here and not getting butthurt.

I hadn't ever thought of a major national event (even in third world countries) as being a TEOTWAWKI event, but that makes a bit of sense to me now. It really was the end of their world, due to their limited scope. And the people trying to kill them and such.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:37 pm

bonanacrom wrote:If there is a downfall of man it will be human nature.
QFT.

Or a giant asteroid that wipes out all life on Earth, but I don't think there's a lot we can do as individuals to prep for that. :?

Either way, all the preps in the world can't guarantee survival in any situation. They can, however, improve our odds somewhat. Max did make some very good points in his OP:
Everything depends on the situation and the threat that emerges, including your own personal and family situation and preparations. One key thing is not to make assumptions now, but to remain flexible.
Of course, if the threat changes, then you will need to adapt to it.
...as well as discussing short and long-term goals.

Tater Raider wrote:
max velocity wrote:Oh Tater Raider, my buddy, bustin' my balls again... :)
I seem to have a knack for it... ah well. Nothing personal and hope you have fun here - it's a good place to learn a lot. And I still hae a lot to learn. :mrgreen:
All true. :crazy:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:55 am

Speaking of scenarios,
I live about 20 miles from a nuclear plant. :shock:
And I'm wondering, if it melted down how far would the radiation travel?
I know ther is some types of radiation that will travel around the earth and I'm not really going to worry about those because I can't really run from those.
But what about the other stuff.

I'm thinking about buying some land and building a cheap 2bedroom house. I'm looking at an area that is about 40 miles away and is near a big lake. (55 miles from the power plant)
That way I could use it in the summer as a weekend getaway, in the winter as a hunting camp and when the SHTF as a BOL
:: Lets eat Grandpa! Lets eat, Grandpa! :: Commas, they save lives!
My Ultralight Stove

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Depends on a few things...

Explosion or meltdown?

Wind direction?

Type/severity of leak?

Topography/terrain/water sources?

All play a factor. There are probably some other things I'm missing.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Ducky wrote:Speaking of scenarios,
I live about 20 miles from a nuclear plant. :shock:
And I'm wondering, if it melted down how far would the radiation travel?
Visit the plant and ask to see a copy of their Emergency Response plan. They will have already calculated the likely spread of a radiation plume.

Will their scenario be optimistic? I'm sure, but they are unlikely go as far as reversing the daily average wind speed or direction, which should give you a pretty good idea of the footprint in the event of an accident.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:17 am

Two questions:
  1. Are they obligated to provide you with a copy?
  2. Could you find their planned emergency responce at their website?

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”