Portable Generators

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Roguebama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later

Portable Generators

Post by Roguebama » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Does anyone have any experience with "Generac" generators?
I don't have the funds to purchase a Honda brand,(I wish I did). I need to purchase one this week so I don't have time to save up a big sum of money.
I'm considering the Generac IX2000 or the GP3250.
I will be using it for camping trips or occasional SHTF scenarios. I mostly will be camping with 3 more adults, and around 2000 watts will be sufficient. I've read decent reviews on the GP3250, but have read good and bad reviews on the IX2000.
Weight is not a problem, and of course I do not want something that is so loud that a person cannot even think when they are around it.
Any comments or experiences would be very helpful. Thank you everyone.
Things can always get worse..... Image ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ElevenBravo

Re: Portable Generators

Post by ElevenBravo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Generac is a GOOD setup. Of course, Honda is going to be the premium top-o-da-line stuff, but if you dont have top-d-da-line money, any generator is better than none.

I had a Generac once, Ive got a Coleman Contractor series now... I ran it for 48 hours straight when we lost power here a month ago, kept my fridge running, several lights, fans and the TV worked a treat.

The Harbor Freight shit is the ones to keep away from... Generac is a well known name with a good reputation. GO FOR IT!

Change the oil regularly and you should be good to go!

HTH,
Andrew
"Smart people have something to say, idiots have to say something"
My Youtube Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/dieselwarriordotcom

ElevenBravo

Post by ElevenBravo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Oh, I forgot... you will want to get a good, heavy extension cord. Mine is 100 ft and I paid almost $100 for it. That will carry the voltage and current as you need, using a cheap cord will depreciate the voltage and current delivered to the socket. Anyway, set your genset 100 feet away, point the muffler outlet away from your campsight and it will be almost not noticeable. There is no such thing as a stealth generator! Even spending lots more money for another unit, you still will only be a few DB quieter, but never "stealth".

When I ran mine, it was tucked behind the shead at the back of the yard... behind us is an open field so no worries there. It was so quit inside the house with the windows open you coudnt even hear it. Put it back on that patio and I knew at 2am the neighbors would end up banging on the door, mumbling something about "sleep" or other trivial issues.

Andrew

ElevenBravo

Post by ElevenBravo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:29 pm

I take that back, many of the RV type gensets are as close as "stealth" as you can get, for portable units. You got $2,500 for a 1KW genset? :D

Roguebama

Post by Roguebama » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:22 pm

ElevenBravo wrote:I take that back, many of the RV type gensets are as close as "stealth" as you can get, for portable units. You got $2,500 for a 1KW genset? :D
Thank you for all your help ElevenBravo. It sounds like I will be making a good decision going with the Generac. I agree, it would be nice to get one that is super quiet, but it just isn't to cost effective. Lol!!
I'm going to pick one up this coming weekend, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all your help, and "May your aim always be True!"

usmoneylover

Post by usmoneylover » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:55 pm

In response to your portable generator being loud: Consider how quiet a car can be...it is a much larger engine than any portable generator. By removing the spark arrestor from your generator and reattatching a small car muffler you can make your generator signifigantly quieter. Another benefit is you could potentially attatch a pipe to pump the exhaust outside of say your garage for example. This is great because you can protect your generator indoors, and also avoide pesky zombies looking to leach from the nearby guy with power! Hope this helps!

toostinky

Post by toostinky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:18 am

We've had ours about 7 or 8 years, it's only used 5 or 10 times a year and sits the rest of the time. It starts up every time with no problem. It was an economical buy for our purposes.

ace of shades

Post by ace of shades » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:32 am

On the topic of changing the muffler - yes, it will make it quieter (while typing I also thought of a tuned muffler and it might screw with the out put) BUT.. BUT BUT BUT.. if you plan to use -as was state by the OP- if you change the stock muffler/ spark arrestor the USFS will nail you so hard to anything that doesn't move you will wish you spent that extra cash on a run quiet.
I ran into that with a 4wheeler I had.. a $400 quad that needed a $350 muffler, so I put a on the road muffler on it. It didn't have the USFS approved spark arrestor stamp on it, luckily I got stopped by an understanding federal agent and later that day I was at the dealership ordering an approved muffler.

As far as brands, I have no valid input. The only thing I can offer is make sure you know how much power you need, then buy a bigger
I hear what you're saying - I just don't respect you enough to give a fuck about your opinion

The VolksRodders Forum - cut, weld, drive

Roguebama

Post by Roguebama » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Thats an even better bunch of ideas. I never thought about changing the muffler, although it sounds like it would be a change that I would only make while the generator is at the house. But a great idea altogether. Thank ya'll again!!

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Check out the Champion brand of generators also. I know several 'preppers' who swear by them, they aren't as quiet as Honda but their 3000w/4000 brand is about 68 decibels at 25ft. I also have read that many RVers enjoy them as a alternate to the more expensive Honda - Champion http://www.championpowerequipment.com/. It's been on my list for a while, but something always comes up instead of buying one.

Check some RV blog/websites, they normally have great ideas on generators, LED lights and stuff that isn't for preparedness but works well for preppers.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”