Survival Caches

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Heem
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Shock Waves" - Underwater undead Nazis gone bad, cheesy & campy, early 1970s with Peter Cushing. Check it out on You Tube, an unknown classic!

Re: Survival Caches

Post by Heem » Fri May 18, 2012 8:13 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote:Generally, the excess dirt is either spread around in the area, where it can blend in, or taken away with you. Taking along a tarp for the removed dirt when digging helps a lot, just pray you don't get pulled over on your way to your cache location... "Excuse me, sir, but- what are you doing with a tarp, a shovel, and what appears to be a home-made small coffin?" :shock: Hearing a sentence like that can change the tone of your whole day :lol:
There is an easy way to get rid of all the dirt, and I'd do it at night. Dig the cache high above the flood stage of a large stream or a river, shovel the dirt onto a canvas tarp, and when it gets full drag it down and dump it into the water. Rinse & repeat. 8-)

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples cache stories.
"Crime is contagious....if the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for the law."
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

mantis

Post by mantis » Fri May 18, 2012 8:15 pm

DJH wrote:Quick, somewhat relevant question that I couldn't find an answer to from searching the forums...

What's the legality of caching on public land, aka near forestry trails, etc.?
Probably nothing illegal about it but "finders keepers" would certainly apply. Don't cache anything on pulbic property that you aren't prepared to lose.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Keeping found property is a crime. Here it is larceny of found property.
Beretta accept no substitute.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri May 18, 2012 10:29 pm

DJH wrote:Quick, somewhat relevant question that I couldn't find an answer to from searching the forums...

Varies by state and jurisdiction. Burying weapons or hazardous materials (anything chemical that you don't want in your water) could be run under "improper disposal" laws, you could get tagged with digging without a permit, and trespassing.

In general, if you don't own the land or have explicit permission to cache there, don't do it.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat May 19, 2012 12:00 am

mantis wrote:

Probably nothing illegal about it but "finders keepers" would certainly apply. Don't cache anything on public property that you aren't prepared to lose.
Caching is a gamble, and when you gamble, you stand a very good chance of losing- remember, the odds always favor the house. Anything you leave behind you, is pretty much up for grabs if it's found. Legalities of keeping the stuff aside, you'd have a hard time proving who found your cache, and then you'd have to pursue whatever legal routes were open to you trying to get it back.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat May 19, 2012 3:33 pm

You'd also have to prove you didn't abandon it and likely pay a fine for illegal dumping/littering. There is the possiblity of a psyche evaluation and suspension or outright revokation of gun rights because "this behavior is not that of a normal, well-adjusted adult."

I'll take my chances with forming a network of like-minded friends and asking if they can cashe some things for me or get a storage unit for whatever they consider legal there - 0 legal issues and lower risk than going the other route.

Heem
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Shock Waves" - Underwater undead Nazis gone bad, cheesy & campy, early 1970s with Peter Cushing. Check it out on You Tube, an unknown classic!

Post by Heem » Mon May 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Here is a link to a good 7 page cache discussion from the Survivalistboards forum:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=25767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never know when the Image
"Crime is contagious....if the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for the law."

SnoMan

Post by SnoMan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks for the info you all provided in this thread. This scenario will figure as an important plot point in the JACK PHOENIX.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ right now getting ready to film this movie. Please see this thread for more info about the project.

Bomberman1942

Post by Bomberman1942 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:53 am

I read that some people have an issue with storing a tube vertically due to it being difficult to dig the hole for it, and maybe its just the farmboy in me but has anyone thought of using one of these? http://www.acehardware.com/family/index ... Id=1305570 or this http://www.saferwholesale.com/2-3-HP-Ga ... lick=35179 there are also ones that you can put on a tractor if you want to do a lot or do it faster...
If you are building a cache you dont need worry about the size/weight of your tools to emplace the cache (unless you have to pack your cache to where you will emplace it).
“EOD is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable data taken from inconclusive experiments with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of questionable mentality.”

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:44 pm

The only place I plan to cache anything at is on the property of people that I trust. I also don't plan to bury it, I know that may be blasphemy to some but why go through the effort when there are plenty of places in a house where you could put a cache.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I mean, if you KNOW the area is safe enough and you camo it well... *shrug* I guess you dont need to bury it,

its just harder for someone to stuble upon something under 2 feet of dirt....

random thought... a cave would be a bad ass place to set up a huge cache\bol.... wish I didn't live in mi where caves are rare...
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:35 am

allofthemonkeys wrote:The only place I plan to cache anything at is on the property of people that I trust. I also don't plan to bury it, I know that may be blasphemy to some but why go through the effort when there are plenty of places in a house where you could put a cache.
Holes in the dirt generally don't burn down. Unless someone nearby has been playing with industrial quantities of Chlorine Triflouride, of course.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Cybrludite wrote:
allofthemonkeys wrote:The only place I plan to cache anything at is on the property of people that I trust. I also don't plan to bury it, I know that may be blasphemy to some but why go through the effort when there are plenty of places in a house where you could put a cache.
Holes in the dirt generally don't burn down. Unless someone nearby has been playing with industrial quantities of Chlorine Triflouride, of course.
Google:Chlorine Triflouride

:oh:

....I'm sorry did I just read that this shit will set a BRICK on fire? :?

......and they use it for nuclear reactor fuel processing?..

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:45 am

Erie quiet wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:
Google:Chlorine Triflouride

:oh:

....I'm sorry did I just read that this shit will set a BRICK on fire? :?

......and they use it for nuclear reactor fuel processing?..

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this
It'll set friking ASBESTOS on fire. :shock:
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

CptSmashy

Post by CptSmashy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 am

Lots of good suggestions in here.

The only thing I have to add would be to not use ziplock bags as a water barrier to supplies. They will leak. They will also allow for condensation to form inside the bag during weather changes. Vacuum sealing with a Food Saver type set up with a few of those silica gel bags tossed in to absorb any moisture that gets sealed inside is the method I use. For guns, ammo and metal items, I use anti-corrosion storage bags. The ones i have are from a company called Pro Techt ( http://www.norustbags.net/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) because they are a local company, but there are several makers of them around. The smaller width open ended style can be vacuum sealed via a food saver as well.
Fleet Numbers: ZS-0165 & ZS-0166

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:53 am

CptSmashy wrote:Lots of good suggestions in here.

The only thing I have to add would be to not use ziplock bags as a water barrier to supplies. They will leak. They will also allow for condensation to form inside the bag during weather changes. Vacuum sealing with a Food Saver type set up with a few of those silica gel bags tossed in to absorb any moisture that gets sealed inside is the method I use. For guns, ammo and metal items, I use anti-corrosion storage bags. The ones i have are from a company called Pro Techt ( http://www.norustbags.net/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) because they are a local company, but there are several makers of them around. The smaller width open ended style can be vacuum sealed via a food saver as well.
I'd agree on this for the use of SANDWICH bags, but I've had quite a bit of success with the freezer bags, which are made a bit beefier. However, the use of absorbers is an excellent recommendation regardless of what containers you use.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

CptSmashy

Post by CptSmashy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote:I'd agree on this for the use of SANDWICH bags, but I've had quite a bit of success with the freezer bags, which are made a bit beefier. However, the use of absorbers is an excellent recommendation regardless of what containers you use.
I've double bagged in freezer ziplocks for cooler storage and finally stopped after about a 50% failure rate of some kind of leakage over a 2 week period.

We've since moved over to the snap lock style containers. I field tested 3 different brands of them by filling with flour, sealing them up and putting them underwater with a brick on top for a month in backyard pond. The snapware and sterlite brands kept the flour dry, the rubbermaid one failed, not by much, but it still let moisture in.
Fleet Numbers: ZS-0165 & ZS-0166

Heem

Post by Heem » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Heem wrote:Anyone try a US Military surplus storage box with rubber o-ring seal? The size and price are right. At 28" x 28" x 19" for under $60 you could store a lot of gear, and on the diagonal it measures 38". This is a heavy duty container with 3 lock downs on each side and they say it's 100% waterproof, but as with any cache I'd want to waterproof package anything going into it. Here's an example:

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ ... x?a=947356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bump on the above question. These are still for sale. Anyone try one of these???

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:45 am

I may have missed it in the past 4 pages so forgive my ignorance but what is the point of having a cache on your land? I can't touch on the legality of burying things on public land but why on your own? Presumably your caching things you would/will need but why in the backyard and not say just in a trunk in the attic? If the house burns down or your flooded or some other disaster I'm not sure I could ever cache enough stuff to help me start over again. Unless it's some type of actual PAW and then I could see the point in having some sustinance and tools buried in the backyard if my house goes down.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

Heem

Post by Heem » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:46 pm

This one looks very interesting - Used Heavy duty 58 gal. Plastic Barrel with screw top, a WATERPROOF food grade storage size 42" high x 22" dia for $80::

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1009668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aeacus

Post by Aeacus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Heem wrote:This one looks very interesting - Used Heavy duty 58 gal. Plastic Barrel with screw top, a WATERPROOF food grade storage size 42" high x 22" dia for $80::

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1009668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I bought an identical 58 gallon barrel off of Craigslist for about $35. Had been used to ship peppers, I'm using it as my backup water storage. Mine was in good shape but missing a gasket in the lid, I made a new one with some silicone tubing. The lid is a bitch to get on and off, tightening/loosening it is a problem.

I'm happy with the seal it has for my use but I'd be dubious about it holding up buried underground. Reading the reviews from sportsmans guide it sounds like their barrels are more beat up and seal about as well as mine did initially. It took quite a bit of cleaning to get most of the pepper smell out of the barrel. Still a tiny smell but the water tastes fine..

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Heem wrote:This one looks very interesting - Used Heavy duty 58 gal. Plastic Barrel with screw top, a WATERPROOF food grade storage size 42" high x 22" dia for $80::

That does seem rather steep. Similar drums are local to me on eBay for under $20 (+ delivery).
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Hammer31
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Hammer31 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:24 pm

When placing a cache, you need to account for two things. The tendency for frost to push your buried supplies out of the ground and the lack of GPS.

1. I have actually found GeoCached items left over the season sticking up out of the ground after the freeze-thaw cycle. I am not sure of the actual name but this is the reason fields seem to "grow" rocks. As the water in the dirt freezes, it expands. Since it only has one direction to go, it pushes things up. Checking on your cache every year or prepping the hide site via the use of gravel (to drain off the water) might be necessary. This only applies to areas that experience hard and prolonged freezes. Those in the southwest are probably safe.

2. Lack of GPS will be the death of many people if an extreme whammy happens (EMP, Government Collapse, War, etc...). The GPS system requires daily syncing with a ground station to ensure that the clocks are all in sync in the network. If this does not happen, drift begins and I do not know how long it will take for your GPS unit to become a paperweight. By all means use GPS to plot your caches but also know how to use a map and compass in case the GPS system becomes unavailable. Also, if a conflict happens, the government may decide to encrypt the GPS signal which will render the system unusable to anyone but US forces. Add to this batteries and that your unit is a piece of electronics, having a KISS method of Geo-locating is a must.
One of the eighty.

Of every one-hundred men,
Ten shouldn't even be there.
Eighty are nothing but targets.
Nine are real fighters....
We are lucky to have them,
They make the battle. Ah, but one,
One of them is a Warrior....
He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:01 am

Hammer31 wrote: Lack of GPS will be the death of many people if an extreme whammy happens (EMP, Government Collapse, War, etc...). The GPS system requires daily syncing with a ground station to ensure that the clocks are all in sync in the network. If this does not happen, drift begins and I do not know how long it will take for your GPS unit to become a paperweight. By all means use GPS to plot your caches but also know how to use a map and compass in case the GPS system becomes unavailable. Also, if a conflict happens, the government may decide to encrypt the GPS signal which will render the system unusable to anyone but US forces. Add to this batteries and that your unit is a piece of electronics, having a KISS method of Geo-locating is a must.
Thanks for saying this because technology will fail you and usually at the worst possible time. I NEVER use a GPS as a primary method to emplace and find my caches, but rather use one only to CONFIRM my 10 digit MGRS location.

I encourage everyone here to learn map and compass as best as you possibly can and DO NOT RELY ON ELECTRONIC DEVICES!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”