1/3 of all terrorist attacks in US occur in 5 metro areas

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ScrappyDood

Post by ScrappyDood » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:53 am

---
Last edited by ScrappyDood on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Re: 1/3 of all terrorist attacks in US occur in 5 metro area

Post by carolinafan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:26 am

Even though Vegas isn't on the list, I still think about something happening here. In addition to just being a big city, it's probably one of the more recognizable places in the world. Just like the World Trade Center, imagine taking out the Vegas strip.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:32 am

carolinafan wrote:Even though Vegas isn't on the list, I still think about something happening here. In addition to just being a big city, it's probably one of the more recognizable places in the world. Just like the World Trade Center, imagine taking out the Vegas strip.
I think Mr. House isn't going to let that happen :mrgreen:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:01 am

You know, not too long ago there was some ponce that put Indiana as the number 2 state for terror targets.

I thought it was stupid and the guys in our group kind of laughed about it, but I've thought on it since then and come up with something discomforting.

There are a LOT of highways in IN, some pretty important ones too. If a terrorist group were to get smart and decided to attack shipping infastructure, they could do a lot worse than cratering every interstate that passes through here or maybe engaging in some highly visible mumbai style attack on a truck stop, and that would grind the flow of goods and services through a large chunk of the midwest to a halt. It isn't feasible to defend every inch of highway 24/7 and it just seems like they haven't figured that out yet.

That said, you couldn't pay me enough to move to any of the places on this list. Even disregarding survivalist concerns, I am a small town guy and cannot adjust to city life. However, the compact nature of urban life means that you can protect it a lot more if your government is willing to pay the overtime. Still, I often wonder how NY stays as safe as it does from foreign terrorists-a lot of time it's just the only city they've ever heard of, and of course has come to sort of represent America, so I'm not surprised it tops the list.

Cool link, bro. Thanks for posting it.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:24 am

so...
The total number of terrorist attacks listed in the 38 year period is 708.
That's 20 per year across the listed cities.
rounded to the nearest whole number that works out to:
12 a year in NYC
6 a year in LA
4 a year in Miami
4 a year in San Francisco
3 a year in Washington DC.

It's interesting that with these numbers START concluded that these cities are "hotbeds" of terrorist activity.
I would have concluded that these incidents are statistically insignificant.
But then again I'm not seeking additional funding.
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 am

This might skirt the edge of accepted discourse, but why would NYC be at the top of the list?

Being the media capitol of the NE, the UN home city along with the diplomatic missions of every country on the globe along with an immigrant population from the same, and lets be honest... a large Jewish population.

To its credit, NYC has the largest single metro PD in the country, with an aggressive CTU that operates on a global scale.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:24 am

AKFTW wrote:
carolinafan wrote:Even though Vegas isn't on the list, I still think about something happening here. In addition to just being a big city, it's probably one of the more recognizable places in the world. Just like the World Trade Center, imagine taking out the Vegas strip.
I'm remembering the last time I had it out with his Securitrons. Not plannng that again.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:29 am

by-the-throat wrote: Still, I often wonder how NY stays as safe as it does from foreign terrorists....

You're welcome. :wink:

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:52 am

MADic wrote:This is not a current event right now....
so it doesn't meet the critera for DICE. A legit topic though, so off to CP&P rather than OT
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:02 am

jor-el wrote:
AKFTW wrote:
I'm remembering the last time I had it out with his Securitrons. Not plannng that again.
Not too worry, I made sure they're operating on the MkII software now so Vegas is G2G.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

JesterODX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gotta be Dawn of the Dead or Shawn of the Dead. But I will opt for anything Romero.

Post by JesterODX » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:44 am

It all goes back to what they consider terrorist activity and attacks. Its like that nut out in California was setting fire to cars. They label it a terrorist incident before capturing the guy and finding out motivation. I dont consider a pyro maniac who has a "need" to burn stuff to be a terrorist. But a nut job that hates America and wants to see it burn I would. The older numbers prior to 9/11 I would say are more accurate to what I consider terrorism or domestic terrorism then today. They list everything today as terrorism.
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:50 am

MADic wrote:This is not a current event right now, but a terrorist attack could be a current event anytime in the near future. This tally includes Islamic, right-wing, left-wing, etc., but does not include attempted terrorist attacks, which would bump a city like New York even higher. Just something to be aware of for those of us who live in these cities, myself included.
Full article: http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com ... not-exempt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good article.
Id like to give my 2 pence. I'm in my mid thirties & grew up in Northern Ireland through the absolute worst of the Troubles. The threat of being in the wrong place at the wrong time was constant, excepting the traditional Christmas day ceasefire.
To this day when in towns shopping etc, even now in comparatively peaceful times, I still brace myself for the chance that a bomb could detonate. I don't think I'll ever loose that.
This all sounds like doom & gloom, but as a result I have good situational awareness skills.
What I really want to say though is: get on with your lives anyway. Be aware of anyone or anything that looks wrong somehow. If in doubt call the police to report it, then go elsewhere if possible. If you're gut is telling you to go, then go. :)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Post by carolinafan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:13 am

jor-el wrote:
AKFTW wrote:
I hate those stupid things. I need to talk to Yes Man again.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:39 am

By way of comparison, in 2010 traffic fatalities were 32,788. Do you wear your seat belt? Have medical training and have medical gear in your car? Do you have a ResQueMe or similar device to cut the straps, break the glass to get out?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... z5zoocgcyk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That figure was the lowest level ever recorded, and still 10 times more deaths than from all terrorist attacks in the United States since 2000.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:51 am

This IMO is rather obvious. The reason there are few terror attacks in Manti, UT vs 5 listed cites is because the 5 listed cities are major population centers and you have probably never hear of Manti,UT. (BTW google Manti, UT and see the key attraction there. :D )

The key element of a terror attack is either population base, political entity or symbol to terrorize/threaten. No population or symbol equates to a lower level of terror interest.

I think the real question here should be how other major metro ares like say Houston and Dallas have avoided being in this number and what do we consider a terrorist attack.

IMO I honestly worry far more about being killed in a car or plane accident or a victim of crime than I do about a terror attack. Call me complacent but I view it more as risk management. I allocate resources to risks that I am more likely to face.
Last edited by raptor on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GentryMillMan

Post by GentryMillMan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:01 pm

raptor wrote:This IMO is rather obvious. The reason there are few terror attacks in Manti, UT vs 5 listed cites is because the 5 listed cities are major population centers and you have probably never hear of Manti,UT. (BTW google Manti, UT and see the key attraction there. :lol: )

The key element of a terror attack is either population base, political entity or symbol to terrorize/threaten. No population or symbol equates to a lower level of terror interest.

I think the real question here should be how other major metro ares like say Houston and Dallas have avoided being in this number and what do we consider a terrorist attack.

IMO I honestly worry far more about being killed in a car or plane accident or a victim of crime than I do about a terror attack. Call me complacent but I view it more as risk management. I allocate resources to risks that I am more likely to face.
HAHAH I grew up about an hour away from Manti.. :lol:
Population base is key. Terrorists want to kill people and terrify everyone else. If there aren't that many people around they won't kill many and other people will say "Where the hell is Manti?"
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:10 pm

GentryMillMan wrote: HAHAH I grew up about an hour away from Manti.. :lol:
Population base is key. Terrorists want to kill people and terrify everyone else. If there aren't that many people around they won't kill many and other people will say "Where the hell is Manti?"
I was not knocking Manti,UT sorry if it came off that way. :oops:

It was meant to be good example of a rural area with a visible item of cultural/religious significance.

ScrappyDood

Post by ScrappyDood » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:12 pm

---
Last edited by ScrappyDood on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Begin rant

IMO the label of terrorist attack is too broadly applied. I do not equate an arson attack against a car dealership in the same category of the 9/11 attacks, the Oklahoma City Bombing or the Norwegian bombing and shootings.

I understand the reason this term is applied but many of the "terrorist" attacks are not IMO terrorism. They are certainly criminal and need to be addressed but they are not IMO anyway a terrorist act.

At what point does an extremist attack become terrorism? IMO when there are multiple casualties and a weapon of mass destruction is used.

End rant.

ScrappyDood

Post by ScrappyDood » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:46 pm

---
Last edited by ScrappyDood on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:48 pm

By definition, the purpose of terrorism is to terrify people.
If you are terrified by the idea that on any given day in NYC there is a 1 in 30 chance that somewhere in the city there will be a (maybe fatal but probably not) terrorist attack... then terrorism is working, and you are helping to make it work.
If you are not terrified by the idea that on any given day in NYC there is virtually no chance at all that there will not be at several fatal fires somewhere in the city... but you are still afraid of terrorists... that's probably because if you are killed by terrorists you're more dead than if you get killed by someone putting a space heater too close to the drapes... or something like that.
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”