Keep cash in your vehicle? yes or no?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

razi

Re: Keep cash in your vehicle? yes or no?

Post by razi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Remember that most tow trucks cost around $60-100 and they don't take plastic. They might not take your insurance card, either.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Cash in the car came in handy yesterday. I went to use a previously free valet parking service.

They wanted $5. They did not have change and I had no small bills on me. (yeah right... give the guy a $15 tip :roll: ) Car cash to the rescue and I made my lunch appointment without hassles.
Last edited by raptor on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Agree, cash in car comes in handy plenty of times.

Especially when on a toll road and you discover wife raided the last $40 in your wallet for kids book order or something.

Raptor, know it's OT but awesome change to your avatar!
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:08 pm

raptor wrote:Not having cash has historically caused me more problems than having too much cash. So yes keep some cash in your vehicle. How much is up to you but at least a $20 or $30. In small bills.
I usually don't have anything beyond the console coin pile. But this ^^^ pretty much sums up my history with cash/cars. Odd that I haven't stashed cash yet.... When I get to the folks' place for Thanksgiving, I'll start looking for some places. The parking lot of my apartment building does not offer me enough privacy to guarantee OpSec, so it'll have to wait till then. In the meantime, I think I can avoid spending anything carried on me... I hope.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:55 pm

I've kept enough for a tank of gas in my vehicle for almost as long as I've had a vehicle. I just upgraded to an SUV and had to up the stored cash. I store the cash out of sight, in a location seldom used, but still easily accessible from the drivers seat.

My last vehicle was broken into and stereo and GPS were stolen, glove box was not torn apart (spare cellphone+charger, flashlight, important documents), change in the center console was left alone (~$15), and the hiding place of my cash was not discovered.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

iridium

Post by iridium » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:33 pm

I always have cash, but as for "emergency cash" I Keep 60 hidden in the vehicle in 1s and 5s and about 50 in my pack on my person in 1s and 5s. It has come in handy many times.. once during a major car wreck that killed power to our whole town, I was shopping and the supermarket could no longer process ATM Cards.. so I whipped out my cash and was good to go. I always make sure that I don't touch this stash cash.. its only for emergency. I also keep a few hundred on a prepaid card as well.. as well as my normal credit cards.

Now of course, I keep more at home, but this is just walking around emergency cash.

colinz

Post by colinz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:23 pm

dukman wrote: A vehicle ashtray can hold a lot of change, and some people may think "it's not that much", but it is amazing how much further down the road even $5 can get you when you are in a bind.
Amen to that.

I hate carrying coins with a passion, and all coins in my wallet/pockets get dumped into the ashtray of the car. There's been a few times I've run out of XXX while on a trip, and cashtray has come to the rescue. IIIRC I've had upwards of $50 in the thing before...

I can't say I've ever thought about having a note or two stashed in the car specifically for emergencies, but it makes a lot of sense.
Last edited by colinz on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:43 pm

Yea, I keep a little bit tucked away for "just in case". Enough for a tank of gas, some food, and whatnot. Not enough that I would lose my mind if the truck was stolen, but enough to help get me home if I things get interesting.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:43 am

fourway wrote:I'm a big fan of the pre 1965 dime. contains .072 troy ounces of silver, worth about two dollars at today's price, so its a reasonable pocket money denomination if the bills in your pocket should suddenly turn into paper, and everybody knows what they are.

That said, last year when silver was around 17 bucks an ounce my wife threw two silver quarters that I left in the center console of the car (away from the normal change and little wad if bills in the ashtray) into the 50cent bridge toll basket. Six dollar toll. At least the return trip doesn't have a toll.

I've considered stashing a roll of silver dimes somewhere unobtrusive in the car.
I've read several opinions that silver coins couold be a useful currency in a paw. I can see some merit to it, however what happens if the person you are conducting business with does not know the value of the silver? To them it's just an old dime. I suppose you could consider using gold jewlery as barter also, except that how do you verify the value of the gold? Is it an 18 karat chain or did you buy it at the dollar store.
In a real PAW I suppose there will eventually be trading centers set up with someone that has expertise in such matters. Until then the silver and gold might not bring it's true value.

On that subject, I really wonder why and if gold would retain it's value. After all with the exception of use in electronics, gold and silver are kinda useless metals. While they are easy to fabricate, melt, bend and cut, they are also to weak to be useful as tools or weapons. Aluminum is lighter, easy to machine and bend, not so easy to weld however. Steel is stronger and can be welded and bent.

Personally in a true PAW I would prefer to have a good supply of lead (bullets) and brass (casings). I would also want some quality knives in stainless steel.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:12 pm

tedbeau wrote:
fourway wrote:I'm a big fan of the pre 1965 dime. contains .072 troy ounces of silver, worth about two dollars at today's price, so its a reasonable pocket money denomination if the bills in your pocket should suddenly turn into paper, and everybody knows what they are.

That said, last year when silver was around 17 bucks an ounce my wife threw two silver quarters that I left in the center console of the car (away from the normal change and little wad if bills in the ashtray) into the 50cent bridge toll basket. Six dollar toll. At least the return trip doesn't have a toll.

I've considered stashing a roll of silver dimes somewhere unobtrusive in the car.
I've read several opinions that silver coins couold be a useful currency in a paw. I can see some merit to it, however what happens if the person you are conducting business with does not know the value of the silver? To them it's just an old dime. I suppose you could consider using gold jewlery as barter also, except that how do you verify the value of the gold? Is it an 18 karat chain or did you buy it at the dollar store.
In a real PAW I suppose there will eventually be trading centers set up with someone that has expertise in such matters. Until then the silver and gold might not bring it's true value.

On that subject, I really wonder why and if gold would retain it's value. After all with the exception of use in electronics, gold and silver are kinda useless metals. While they are easy to fabricate, melt, bend and cut, they are also to weak to be useful as tools or weapons. Aluminum is lighter, easy to machine and bend, not so easy to weld however. Steel is stronger and can be welded and bent.

Personally in a true PAW I would prefer to have a good supply of lead (bullets) and brass (casings). I would also want some quality knives in stainless steel.
IMO PMs have a place in an investment portfolio. However, I would argue that keeping silver US coins in your car will sooner or later result in your using them for a toll, parking meter or some other use where a real silver coin is not required.

TXwaterdog
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Shawn of the Dead, I'm more a fan of apocalyptic movies than Zombie movies. I'm not much of a horror fan. Hobo With a Shotgun, book of Eli, Mad Max...

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Post by TXwaterdog » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:15 am

blades7558 wrote:it has occured to me lately (mainly pointed out by old timers) that i NEVER carry cash. this could be a big detriment if SHTF and atms have lines/ banks close and noone is accepting cards..

Im thinking about putting a couple hundered bucks in a nice hiding spot in my jeep so i will be able to tap into it at any time (even good for tolls).

im not to worried about theft, i live in a very rural area and we are a tight knit neighborhood. I work all over the country and where i do drive to is usually secure.

would you stow cash in your car and how much would you have?

BTW Radio shack will be open and they will do your credit card transaction the old fashioned way. I worked there for a while back in 2001 and the fist thing they do is train you to take credit cards by doing an impression. They think when the power goes down Radio Shack will be there, open and selling batteries, CB's, HAM gear, etc. This was true in 2008 when IKE came to Houston. Radio Shack was the only thing open around me. The power was down and there were employees in the shop selling equipment with the lights off. I bought an alarm clock and a package of 9volt batteries to listen to the AM radio because I didn't have one at the time (other than the one in my jeep)

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

toostinky

Post by toostinky » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:30 pm

I keep $27.50 USD in each car, in small bills and lots of quarters, stashed in an empty prescription type canister in the glove box. Ashtray is also filled with misc. change. It's enough for 1/2 a tank of gas, food, toll roads, etc. I always have $100 on me as well. The cash has come in handy many, many times.

taskforce71

Post by taskforce71 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:12 pm

SimonSellsAustin wrote:
blades7558 wrote:it has occured to me lately (mainly pointed out by old timers) that i NEVER carry cash. this could be a big detriment if SHTF and atms have lines/ banks close and noone is accepting cards..

Im thinking about putting a couple hundered bucks in a nice hiding spot in my jeep so i will be able to tap into it at any time (even good for tolls).

im not to worried about theft, i live in a very rural area and we are a tight knit neighborhood. I work all over the country and where i do drive to is usually secure.

would you stow cash in your car and how much would you have?

BTW Radio shack will be open and they will do your credit card transaction the old fashioned way. I worked there for a while back in 2001 and the fist thing they do is train you to take credit cards by doing an impression. They think when the power goes down Radio Shack will be there, open and selling batteries, CB's, HAM gear, etc. This was true in 2008 when IKE came to Houston. Radio Shack was the only thing open around me. The power was down and there were employees in the shop selling equipment with the lights off. I bought an alarm clock and a package of 9volt batteries to listen to the AM radio because I didn't have one at the time (other than the one in my jeep)
I work for a major retail chain and oddly, am the only one other than management who knows how to process credit cards with those sliding stampers. I've had to use it once and one customer remarked that she was surprised how few stores even have the equipment to do such a thing. The power in my store has been knocked out at least once every 18-20 months so I'm glad they still keep them for emergencies. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to shop in the dark and still pay with a credit card! :lol: :lol:

carbean

Post by carbean » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:42 am

No

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”