It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:37 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

raistlin wrote:
raptor wrote:
raistlin wrote:

Do you guys think GoreTex ski bibs would work for protective trousers? I'm challenged at finding cheap rain gear because I'm 6' 7", and I already have the ski bib. :)

The problems with Gore-tex are that a.) it is permeable and may absorb a nasty and make decontamination difficult

That's what I was wondering about. A lot of rain gear is also breathable (e.g. Froggs).

My sons are similarly tall and they have real trouble finding clothing or a size 16 shoe in stock anywhere. So I am sympathetic.

I would note that this is not fashion but rather PPE. Perhaps hip or chest wader boots?

That or perhaps make some improvised PPE.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

raptor wrote:
My sons are similarly tall and they have real trouble finding clothing or a size 16 shoe in stock anywhere. So I am sympathetic.

I would note that this is not fashion but rather PPE. Perhaps hip or chest wader boots?

That or perhaps make some improvised PPE.

Yeah. I have size 16 feet, too (lol).

I don't think I'll worry about it too much. I think the likelihood that I'll need full PPE gear due to Ebola in the US is extremely low. However, I am going to order an extra box of Nitrile gloves. Those are impossible to find locally in XXL sizing, and I think I have maybe a half dozen pairs prepped at the moment. Good excuse right now to buy some since those are worth having around for other users, too. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:33 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

raistlin wrote:

I don't think I'll worry about it too much. I think the likelihood that I'll need full PPE gear due to Ebola in the US is extremely low. However, I am going to order an extra box of Nitrile gloves. Those are impossible to find locally in XXL sizing, and I think I have maybe a half dozen pairs prepped at the moment. Good excuse right now to buy some since those are worth having around for other users, too. :)

Look for a pair that are sleeve length. These are quite useful for a lot of other tasks as well.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

raptor wrote:
raistlin wrote:

Look for a pair that are sleeve length. These are quite useful for a lot of other tasks as well.

Thanks. I saw previously where you had linked to some, and I spent a few minutes on Amazon trying to find XXL ones. I gave up because I wasn't having much luck finding any with reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Another shameless quote from another thread.

This describes a great way to practice proper PPE use.

crypto wrote:
Here's a fun game to play at home: put some rubber gloves on and cut up the hottest habenero or ghost peppers you can possibly find. Put them in a bowl. You can remove the gloves then.

Then every couple hours go move the bowl around the house.

If you feel or taste burning anywhere, you die. Thats pretty close to what ebola's like.

I accidentally died while inadvertently playing this game over the weekend when I rubbed my eye.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:18 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I liked this one ...
Crakkerjakk wrote:
The thing they have you do for properly taking off your PPE is to cover the exterior in shaving cream. Take your stuff off, then have someone else look you over to see if you managed to smear shaving cream anywhere.

So, I came across a thing I posted about how to put on and take off a respirator back in August that seems relevant :

duodecima wrote:
I was thinking of this thread today when I had the annual "How not to screw up using an N95 respirator" training, since it's relevant, and actually a little bit useful. It's a really useful and pretty cheap piece of kit, but it's easy not to get all the benefit out of them.

(Warning! As with all important mandatory training, the authors/producers have sucked all interest or entertainment value out, leaving the stuff you actually want to know in deathly snore-inducing format.)

Here's the youtube we had to watch. (Linked because I am failing at youtube tonite...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzpz5fko-fg

And here's the written material Stanford uses. I'm jealous, we had a LOT more slides than that.
http://web.stanford.edu/dept/EHS/prod/mainrencon/occhealth/09-069.pdf

Also, I discovered that the European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC) has a bunch of publications, including a weekly one called "Communicable Disease Threat Report" that updates weekly. Tracks all sorts of diseases (including MERS, EV-D68, H5N1, Polio) and updates cases on a weekly basis. Has a non-US focus which is really interesting. I'm not aware that CDC has anything identical tho I'll go look now... http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/Pages/home.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:43 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Does anyone have an idea of what filters I'd need for my half respirator mask, are any going to be any use against Ebola given its still as yet (non airborne spread)?

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:42 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

wee drop o' bush wrote:
Does anyone have an idea of what filters I'd need for my half respirator mask, are any going to be any use against Ebola given its still as yet (non airborne spread)?

What brand of half mask is it 3M?

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:49 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

raptor wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote:

What brand of half mask is it 3M?

Yeah it's the one in my profile pic. I also have a Scott P3.
I got it from a local builders supply merchant.

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:56 am 

You just need a particulate filter, preferably N100 or P100, or P3. I think CDC is still recommending only N95 but when much better is readily available...

Like this from Arco:

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/176900

3M filters seem to be a little mask-specific (6000/7000 etc) but something like their 2091 is also suitable if it fits yours.

Last edited by Invisible on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:58 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Invisible wrote:
You just need a particulate filter, preferably N100 or P100, or P3. I think CDC is still recommending only N95 but when much better is readily available...

Like this from Arco:

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/176900

Great, thanks.

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:35 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I buy these in 3 packs (3 pairs) and they provide p-100 protection to the filter that is on the mask. They simply fit over the existing filter. They are disposable and greatly extend the filter life in dusty environments. This would allow you to more easily decontaminate the mask since it is disposable.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-2091-P100-Part ... F8KC3YVHJE

http://www.amazon.com/3M-R-2091-Particu ... F8KC3YVHJE

Note the P label for dry particle.

Also you really want eye protection. Serious no fooling eye protection since the virus can be introduced if you get it in your eyes. So if you are wearing a half mask be sure wear a face shield or at least a pair of safety googles... not glasses but rather googles that cover the side.

http://www.3m.com/product/information/S ... oggle.html

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:55 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Thanks, I have proper eye safety goggles. I'm allergic to the straw dust and mould on my farm so I've already this sort of stuff plus nitrile gloves for when I'm working in the sheds.

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:26 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

At the risk of everyone getting out their tin foil hats I am posting a handy link to the CDC website dealing with quarantine laws at the federal level.

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/specificl ... tions.html

Now a lot of these address maritime activities such as anchorages. Understand that anytime a vessel re enters US waters (or foreign ports) they must clear customs. They use a yellow flag with stands for the letter "Q" to indicate they need to clear customs and remove it once they are clear.

That is the long version of why you should not freak when you see "quarantine anchorages" mentioned.

Another link:
http://news.yahoo.com/constitutional-ri ... 18524.html

Quote:
In short, state governments, and not the federal government, have most of the power to place people in isolation or quarantine under certain circumstances. Isolation separates people who are known to be ill from those who aren’t sick. Quarantine separates people suspected of being exposed to an illness or biological agent from the general population.
Your individual rights are very limited in these circumstances, unless you can prove the government action is arbitrary.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:33 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

The CDC just started posting a weekly-updated "enterovirus-like activity" map.

http://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/outbreaks/EV-D68-activity.html

Which reminded me of the really great weekly "flu map" - I check this on Monday mornings just to see what it's looking like before I start seeing all the coughing patients...

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:50 pm 

raptor wrote:
At the risk of everyone getting out their tin foil hats I am posting a handy link to the CDC website dealing with quarantine laws at the federal level.

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/specificl ... tions.html

On that note we might also consider the likely poor reactions from some people about quarantine and other measures to prevent the spread of infectious disease as something we need to prepare for.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Stercutus wrote:
On that note we might also consider the likely poor reactions from some people about quarantine and other measures to prevent the spread of infectious disease as something we need to prepare for.
Yeah, I'm sure, given the West African experience combined with people who hate being told what to do.

I was googling around looking for an answer to a good question somebody here asked, and I haven't found the answer yet.

BUT! I found THIS! And it's awesome so I'm cross posting.

http://www.slamviweb.org/es/ebola/FHFfinal.pdf

Everybody's more impressed with MSF (Drs Without Borders) than the CDC right now, yeah? So, that's the MSF Filovirus Haemorrhagic Fever Guideline. It's got EVERYTHING. From initial case investigation and confirmation (and safety measures for those workers) to diagrams of how to organize your "hot zone" wards, and your dressing areas, lists of PPE for different kinds of workers and how to take it on and off, how to dispose of the disposables, how to clean the cleanable, protocol and supply lists for ambulance teams and burial teams, psychological considerations and management, treatment protocol, and how to close down a unit when you're done.

It's a real practical gem, not very technical (to me at least), take a look!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:49 am 

Ah, just the thing for a serious outbreak.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:42 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

free bump

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:46 am 

Also, I discovered that the European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC) has a bunch of publications, including a weekly one called "Communicable Disease Threat Report" that updates weekly. Tracks all sorts of diseases (including MERS, EV-D68, H5N1, Polio) and updates cases on a weekly basis. Has a non-US focus which is really interesting. I'm not aware that CDC has anything identical tho I'll go look now... http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/Pages/home.aspx[/quote]

Previous post above mentioned email updates re: infections diseases. One of the better ones (free) is from the International Society of Infectious Diseases. The email list is called "Promed". You can subscribe to the emails here: http://www.promedmail.org/ Subscription tab in upper right (it's free). Global alerts with lots of US info as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:39 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

So I found more manuals! They're mostly meant for clinicians in "resource constrained" settings, but I figure there's a bunch of folks around who might be interested in them, so here they are.

WHO Viral Hemmorhagic Fever Guide (Ebola, Marburg, Lassa, and Crimean-Congo).
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/130883/2/WHO_HSE_PED_AIP_14.05.pdf?ua=1

At the bottom of this page is a bunch of links for participant manuals, facilitator's manuals, auxiliary staff participant and facilitator manuals, course director's manual, for the 3 day course focused on Uganda that's apparently meant to go along with the first guide. (skips Lassa, perhaps that's not endemic in Uganda?)
http://imaiimcialliance.org/country.php?country_id=8

The WHO's guide about diagnosing and treating fever - huge focus on malaria vs everything else.
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/95116/1/9789241506489_eng.pdf?ua=1

WHO manual for hospital management of common problems for small hospitals in "resource constrained" settings. This is 2 volumes (total 5-6 M) and is again, meant for clinicians.

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/77751/1/9789241548281_Vol1_eng.pdf?ua=1
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/77751/3/9789241548290_Vol2_eng.pdf?ua=1

Also a bunch of manuals/documents about care of children:
http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/imci/en/

And about maternity care:
http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/impac/en/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:43 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Great Information! Thank you!

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:13 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

found a poster of how to make handwashing solution from chlorine bleach or powdered HTH.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/making-hand-washing-solution-bleach-hth.pdf

Also, the US flu map, in case I hadn't linked it here before.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/WeeklyFluActivityMap.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:26 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Free bump since flu season in full swing.

ImageImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next