looking for advice fto give to my father

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

looking for advice fto give to my father

Post by 0122358 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Prepping is nothing new to my family, both my dad and i know somthing is happening and the possibily of TSHTF is real, but thats where my dad and i split on our views. Now im a admitted gun nut and love the mall ninja stuff as the next prepper but, i also understand you cant eat bullets and taking what isnt yours isnt just illegal butand morally wrong as well and deprives other humans the chance to live.

My dad feels that with enough ammo he can take what ever he wants, he doesnt realize that people have guns too and just becuase you have a gun dosnt mean your ready to go out and get into a gunfight. The military spends weeks even months or years to train soldiers as part of a unit to fight effectivly in combat. My dad is 100 pounds overweight and 52 years old and has severe anger issues. He just doesnt get that you cant go around kiling people to get what you want. He wants to become some kinda friggin warlord in the PAW or somthing...

How can i get him to come around. Whenever him and i start talking preps im always stating we need more food and water, he just wants more ammo...i need your guys help
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: looking for advice fto give to my father

Post by raptor » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:39 pm

My advice is simple. Go the to the rifle range with him, a busy one. Actually bring him several times each point out all of the rifles and number of people who own them. The point being he is not the only one with a weapon and who can shoot.

Then have him read the WalMart thread it has many reasons why weapons and ammo alone is a bad idea.

That said this poster's father is the reason that preppers should always be prepared to defend themselves. These people are out there and in a SHTF situation they will assume they are the biggest and baddest, at least until they run into someone bigger and badder.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

raptor wrote:My advice is simple. Go the to the rifle range with him, a busy one. Actually bring him several times each point out all of the rifles and number of people who own them. The point being he is not the only one with a weapon and who can shoot.

Then have him read the WalMart thread it has many reasons why weapons and ammo alone is a bad idea.

That said this poster's father is the reason that preppers should always be prepared to defend themselves. These people are out there and in a SHTF situation they will assume they are the biggest and baddest, at least until they run into someone bigger and badder.
Thank you raptor, im also going to have him read your responsibillity and accountability thread (that thread was an eye opener for me for sure)...and i will say this, as i have the means, im moving out to my own place or with my best firend ( a fellow calm minded prepper such as myself and the good people on here) and prepping myself, i love my dad but if things hit the fan then i dont want to be around him for he could possibly get my whole family killed if he continues on his present path
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:23 am

Buy some seeds and hopefully you will have enough food in the pantry to eke through to the next growing season while he nurses that huge gunshot in the thigh from the neighbor after he tried to steal their stuff.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:52 am

dukman wrote:Buy some seeds and hopefully you will have enough food in the pantry to eke through to the next growing season while he nurses that huge gunshot in the thigh from the neighbor after he tried to steal their stuff.
so in addition to taking him to the range, do you all have ideas on how to pursede him into buying beans instead of bullets?

bluesquid
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALLLLLLLLL

Post by bluesquid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:26 am

Tell him the best fought fight is the one you avoid. That the bully always meets another bully, and loses. Tell him even the best fighter leaves a fight with a black eye and bruises.

SHTF will be survived by people that fight only when they have too. The early days will be wars between egos. Many people will die.
FEED YOUR WOLVES WISELY! "The best battle rifle ever made is the FAL bar none".

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:08 am

0122358 wrote:
dukman wrote:Buy some seeds and hopefully you will have enough food in the pantry to eke through to the next growing season while he nurses that huge gunshot in the thigh from the neighbor after he tried to steal their stuff.
so in addition to taking him to the range, do you all have ideas on how to pursede him into buying beans instead of bullets?
(edit)

The older folks are, the more it takes to dig them out of the comfortable rut they have dug for themselves....

Good luck - and good on ya for trying.
Last edited by TacAir on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:57 am

I feel your pain, I have a few like that among family & friends. Fortunately I only have to include a couple in my plans & they are coming around. Lot's of good suggestions so far, mine are just going to be variations. Maybe some sort of simulated combat (paintball, airsoft, preferably something that will leave a welt) will drive home the point. When he bitches that his "gun" wasn't as accurate or powerful as a real one you can point out that neither were his opponents "guns". Between being forcibly reminded that those little welts would be nasty gunshots & how out of breath playing shoot em up left him, you should be able to plant the seeds of reason.
Most likely your Dad already knows deep down that his path isn't the smartest, but for some reason he's convinced that it's the best for him. In my (limited) experience the two most common reasons for people picking this route are ignorance & lack of confidence. Ignorance covers everything from underestimating the other guy, not knowing how to put away food, what to do with stored food, to believing life is like a movie or book & as the main character he'll live till the end. Lack of confidence overlaps with ignorance, especially on food storage & prep. I knew one guy that could barely make his own sandwich, his plan was to have enough guns & ammo that people would come to him for protection/safety & out of gratitude be glad to provide labor. :roll: Maybe making a weekly night "family dinner night" where everyone pitches in & prepares dinner together (gradually work in storage type foods) will show him how easy storage & prep can be (again assuming that's the problem).
Hope these suggestions help, of course if he's the type that's not willing to get out & do something ("When the time comes I'll rise to the occasion!", how many of us have heard that one?) then we'll have to go back to the drawing board. Keep us updated.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:07 pm

0122358 wrote:
so in addition to taking him to the range, do you all have ideas on how to pursede persuade (FTFY) him into buying beans instead of bullets?
Arrange a "preps only day", where you each have to survive off of what you have stocked up, and ONLY what you have stocked up. This will serve the dual purpose of pointing your own weak spots in your preps, ie; "I need to get more water in storage", and also show him that he has darned little that can keep him alive. no fair raiding the normal household groceries- for this, you have to assume it's 2-3 weeks into the "event", and your normal groceries have all been used up- you ate those first.

If he's the sort of person who might be into it, maybe set up an RPG night, where you can set up scenarios that would demonstrate the need for more than an arsenal. The premise can be anything you think he'd like- zombies, nuke attack, massive viral outbreak, whatever.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 pm

thanks guys, im liking the suggestions and theyre all good, but hes stubborn so ill have to take it slow.

In all honesty i was the same way when i first started really getting into prepping back in 08, i felt people are idiots who arent armed and those who arent armed to defend thier supplies deserve what they get.

It wasnt until my group of friends changed and i did some pretty heavy resaerch on forums such as ZS that my mind opened up and realized how stupid that was, so instead of buying 3 boxes of .223 at a time, i would buy two and a can of rice or an MRE. i do still see the need to be able to defend my self but as raptor said, my dad is the kind of reason preppers should seek forms of self defence, and im sure we all know other people who are like that.

(ramble)
(Not to suck up) But ZS when i found it back in janurary is what sealed the deal and cuased me to "split" from my dad. I actually found ZS through Regulator's K5 BOV thread when i was doing research on what rig i wanted to buy (i still do), in that time of pretty much lurking for nine months, ive gotten to know a lot of you by reading your posts (gunny, WW, Mags, Roc, Tac, Dogbane, jeriah, ODA, TDW, ect) and hope to eventually meet you all in cyberspace as i start posting more constructive items to the site.

Foxen

Post by Foxen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Hang in there, my friends are the same way. I think they watched one too many movies or they think they are smarter than everyone else because Wal Mart or Costco are great places to bug out too... AND they laugh at me when I tell them that those are the ABOSOLUTE worst places to go...there and gun shops... they actually still think they can "break" into a gun shop and arm themselves...during the middle of all hell breaking loose... and these are grown 30-40 year old men. Also, none of them, to my knowledge own any firearms either. They tease me about finally wanting to purchase a firearm and doing "shotgun katas" or dry fire drills.... I give up. If things go sour they are on their own.

Fortunately I have other friends that are more than glad to talk to me about survival preparedness. Those friends and time to time visiting this forum keeps me sane. So hang in there!

Ziege

Post by Ziege » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:57 pm

On the other hand.... Being the warlord's son is supposed to be a pretty good gig....

Joking.

Is it that he honestly thinks he has the winning plan, or that guns are the fun part and he doesn't really think any of this is for real? I could see someone who basically thought "nothing bad ever happens..." saying some silly-sounding stuff but enjoying the "fun" parts of playing along.

If that's the case, best chance is to make the other stuff more fun. If he likes making stuff maybe work on DIY gear. I don't know any of you so I can't be too specific. Prepping is fun, or can/should be. Torturing people into agreeing with you rarely works and you aren't going to devise an exercise that will show them the metaphorical elephant.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Ziege wrote:On the other hand.... Being the warlord's son is supposed to be a pretty good gig....

Joking.
"there are many perks to being the mother of a living god!"

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:13 pm

People like your father are why I am prepared AND well armed. You make him out to be quite the thug in your posts which is sad for a number of reasons. I doubt you will be able to convince him that he is wrong since he is so old already and has anger issues. I wish you luck however and if you do succeed he might survive a bit longer than his first or second encounter with one of his potential targets.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MJS8725
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead.

Post by MJS8725 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:22 pm

I had a landlord who had the same attitude. This guy also sold Prep stuff to folks around town and he told me his plan was to just go to his customers and take it all back. No need to buy the stuff himself. I moved out the next month. The only thing I could say to him was that some of the folks he was planning on plundering were a hell of a lot meaner than he imagined and good luck if that was his attitude. That moment was a big turning point for me in terms of OPSEC.
Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the entire system.- Jawaharlal Nehru

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Blacksmith wrote:People like your father are why I am prepared AND well armed. You make him out to be quite the thug in your posts which is sad for a number of reasons. I doubt you will be able to convince him that he is wrong since he is so old already and has anger issues. I wish you luck however and if you do succeed he might survive a bit longer than his first or second encounter with one of his potential targets.
in actuallity i didnt mean to make him to be a thug, he is very loving and a great dad for the most part, he never hit me or raised his voice...he just represses his anger and burys it so i kinda feel this "kill the morons to survive" is a way of venting to release some of the stress. I dont really know how he would act, IMO he would probably begin to cower and if he got into a firefight we would find a way to get out of it rather quickly.

Ableto

Post by Ableto » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Well this is almost like the story between my father and myself. But slight differences.

Back when i was young dad stocked up on the ammo and guns thinking it will solve all the problems if something goes bad (shtf). Even with him, he pretty much stocked up on chili and other nasty processed foods all the time as a back up deal. My dad is not the one of wanting to wipe out all the bad elements in the area, but he wanted to have protection when needed. Over the years he has become a packrat and is trying to fill the house with junk but thats another story for another time.

Recently in the last 6 months i desided to bring out the old camping gear to refresh whats been missing and from whats here in the forums i was missing a lot and am in the process to updating a lot of things.

But instead of fighting with my father on what needs to be done i just went forward and started to refresh his camping gear as well, as in my old camp pack is now his, i got myself a new pack. I have been collecting things hear and their for both his and my BOBs, and a 3rd GHB (find its cheaper to get some thing in bulk to cover all 3 bags). So depending on your economic resources, you might be able to cover a BOB for him as well as for you, Im not talking about everything from full tools and all, but some basic things. Like for eample for my little back up container i have in duplicate, basic sewing kit water purifing tablets, weatherproof matches, lighter, magnezium/flint striker, Cotten treated in vasoline, cheap walmart $8 first aid kit for each pack. Some little fishing gear, cheap $2-$5 multitool from more auto stores, safty pins, wire, fishing line, etc, i think you got the picture.

A simple container filled with things that can easily be tossed into a pack for just in the case of a emergency BO. He can fill the pack with clothes, and what ever food he wants, and hope that when you head for the hills he would pack some arms and ammo for hunting and not to pick off the gangs down the street.

Sometimes you cant fight dads wisdom and reasoning, but you can have something for that just in case emergency.
Life is like a box of chocolates, eventually we will all melt in the sun.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Talk to him about preparing for a loss of power/water/gas for a couple of days... If he goes shooting the neighbours for a bottle of water, the cops are still going to come and shoot his dog and put him in jail. In a PAW he might get away with murdering someone, however you're much more likely to have a blackout than zombies so do you have a means to provide light, keep warm, cook/prepare food without power? Do you have water stored to drink if there is a water shortage or a contamination of your water supply, either by nature, human accident or malicious intent.

One of my aunties in another state microwaves everything, she lost power for 2 days a couple years ago and I remember my dad on the phone to her when she got power back and she'd just been eating dry crackers and biscuits. I was so shocked that she was so dependant on the microwave to prepare literally all of her meals.

Zombies are worst case senario, they're not common...
Simple disruptions to services are going to be the most common and they also are the ones which require the least amount of defensive preparations.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:39 am

Ableto wrote:Well this is almost like the story between my father and myself. But slight differences.

Back when i was young dad stocked up on the ammo and guns thinking it will solve all the problems if something goes bad (shtf). Even with him, he pretty much stocked up on chili and other nasty processed foods all the time as a back up deal. My dad is not the one of wanting to wipe out all the bad elements in the area, but he wanted to have protection when needed. Over the years he has become a packrat and is trying to fill the house with junk but thats another story for another time.

Recently in the last 6 months i desided to bring out the old camping gear to refresh whats been missing and from whats here in the forums i was missing a lot and am in the process to updating a lot of things.

But instead of fighting with my father on what needs to be done i just went forward and started to refresh his camping gear as well, as in my old camp pack is now his, i got myself a new pack. I have been collecting things hear and their for both his and my BOBs, and a 3rd GHB (find its cheaper to get some thing in bulk to cover all 3 bags). So depending on your economic resources, you might be able to cover a BOB for him as well as for you, Im not talking about everything from full tools and all, but some basic things. Like for eample for my little back up container i have in duplicate, basic sewing kit water purifing tablets, weatherproof matches, lighter, magnezium/flint striker, Cotten treated in vasoline, cheap walmart $8 first aid kit for each pack. Some little fishing gear, cheap $2-$5 multitool from more auto stores, safty pins, wire, fishing line, etc, i think you got the picture.

A simple container filled with things that can easily be tossed into a pack for just in the case of a emergency BO. He can fill the pack with clothes, and what ever food he wants, and hope that when you head for the hills he would pack some arms and ammo for hunting and not to pick off the gangs down the street.

Sometimes you cant fight dads wisdom and reasoning, but you can have something for that just in case emergency.
for xmas i built him is own GHBs in paintcans to keep in his vehicles with food, water, warmth and a few other odds and ends..he really appreciated them and actually has started to talk more about food and planting a garden

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:11 pm

That's good news 0122358. If he doesn't have much experience with gardening you'll want to be very supportive it can be frustrating at times.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”