Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Vel454
* * *
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: NE Washington State
Contact:

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by Vel454 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Jetpack, ftw? :shock:
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

User avatar
Biggin
* * * * *
Posts: 3282
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by Biggin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:21 pm

After watching that second video, I will stick with staying in the car unless I see a concrete staircase or easily climbable structure within 90 or 100 yards.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Vel454 wrote:Jetpack, ftw? :shock:
They give you only about 1 minute of flight time and take 5 minutes to put on. The whole video was only 4 minutes long.

I like Biggins answer a high hill with a concrete stair case lead up to the top.

User avatar
Vel454
* * *
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: NE Washington State
Contact:

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by Vel454 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 pm

raptor wrote:
Vel454 wrote:Jetpack, ftw? :shock:
They give you only about 1 minute of flight time and take 5 minutes to put on. The whole video was only 4 minutes long.

I like Biggins answer a high hill with a concrete stair case lead up to the top.
Drive around every where with it on, rocket to the top of that Mitsubishi building. :roll:

I'll stick with my idea about trying not to let shock/surprise make me hesistate to get moving. And stick inside the car unless an opportunity to get up into safety were very close by.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

User avatar
airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 2843
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by airballrad » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 pm

It's important to remember too that sometimes stuff happens and there's not a blessed thing you can do about it. Prepare as you can, trying to think through your options ahead of time, gain skills to aid your survival. But sometimes a situation is just a no-win no matter what you do.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:38 pm

airballrad wrote:It's important to remember too that sometimes stuff happens and there's not a blessed thing you can do about it. Prepare as you can, trying to think through your options ahead of time, gain skills to aid your survival. But sometimes a situation is just a no-win no matter what you do.

This is very true.

We all will check out of this life at some point in time.

User avatar
Vel454
* * *
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: NE Washington State
Contact:

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by Vel454 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:41 pm

airballrad wrote:It's important to remember too that sometimes stuff happens and there's not a blessed thing you can do about it. Prepare as you can, trying to think through your options ahead of time, gain skills to aid your survival. But sometimes a situation is just a no-win no matter what you do.
100% agree. I think in a situation like this, we are able to brainstorm what'd be the least of all evils. Not much more.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

User avatar
KentsOkay
* * * * *
Posts: 3207
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Texas

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Simply awful. My first reaction was to climb on top of the tanker, it wasnt until after the water was really up I noticed the powerlines :( If it was diesel, I'd feel fairly safe, but gasoline on the other hand :gonk: I wouldnt have considered dashing to something else if I was in a working, moving vehicle until the last moment, and my knee jerk was climb the big tanker full of flammable liquid. But hey at least it floats.

The on windshield wipers/lights had me WTF'ing as well.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Image
Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:32 pm

KentsOkay wrote:Simply awful. My first reaction was to climb on top of the tanker, it wasnt until after the water was really up I noticed the powerlines :( If it was diesel, I'd feel fairly safe, but gasoline on the other hand :gonk: I wouldnt have considered dashing to something else if I was in a working, moving vehicle until the last moment, and my knee jerk was climb the big tanker full of flammable liquid. But hey at least it floats.
A tanker load of diesel or lube oil would not bother me in the least. I agree I would climb up on that tanker.

That said with my luck if a tanker is next to me in such a situation it would be carrying gasoline, methlyethlydeath and water moccasins. :roll:

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9229
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Vel454 wrote: But I think I'd prefer to take a chance sitting in a car, car hoping from one top to another, or trying to swim-rush a building than willingly trap myself between a possibily still live power lines and the bone-crushing debri of the rising flood. The water might rise high enough to force you to climb right up into the power lines, or close enough to decide to just jump in the water. There were some lines down in the video, but they were the lower cable/phone lines, not the powerlines on top of the poles. If those lines were to touch the water... you'd be screwed.
I suspect a lot of the power was out already due to the lines slapping together during the earthquake. But as far as the lines falling in the water, that will knock out the power 99% of the time.

Either the nearest oil circuit recloser, sectionalizer or fused cut-out is going to blow and open up at the speed-of-light when the fault-amps go up. And those fault amps are going to spike as soon as the line touches the water.

If not, well, you'll definitely see the bright blueish-white arc where the line is touching the water or floating debris.

Then again, it's extremely rare to see poles with climbing pegs in them any more in the U.S., too much of a liability for idiots and kids having a "Hey ya'll, watch this!" moment.

Utility poles that do have the pegs usually don't have any the first ten feet from ground level, or they just have cable TV or telephone lines on them.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
KentsOkay
* * * * *
Posts: 3207
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Texas

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:28 am

raptor wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:Simply awful. My first reaction was to climb on top of the tanker, it wasnt until after the water was really up I noticed the powerlines :( If it was diesel, I'd feel fairly safe, but gasoline on the other hand :gonk: I wouldnt have considered dashing to something else if I was in a working, moving vehicle until the last moment, and my knee jerk was climb the big tanker full of flammable liquid. But hey at least it floats.
A tanker load of diesel or lube oil would not bother me in the least. I agree I would climb up on that tanker.

That said with my luck if a tanker is next to me in such a situation it would be carrying gasoline, methlyethlydeath and water moccasins. :roll:
That would suck. But at least the toxic spill and snake venom would give you superpowers!

But seriously, between size, relatively floatyness, and abundant hand grips, I am surprised the guy didnt climb it, when he jumped out thats where I thought he was going.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Image
Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

User avatar
Sworbeyegib
* * * * *
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:49 am

During the tsunami warning down here, Waikiki and most of Honolulu practice vertical evacuation. You wouldn't believe some of the idiot tourists that insisted on walking around on the street wanting to see the water.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Image

User avatar
azstinger
* * *
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:45 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-land or Dawn of the Dead
Location: CA, AZ, TX, NM, and KS

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by azstinger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:18 pm

I think is a good example of why you should always have an emergency glass breaker in your vehicles. Might not be pretty but i'd still like to have the ability to egress my vehicle.

Benbrutal
* * *
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 pm
Location: Unemployed, Near Dallas

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by Benbrutal » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:43 am

I wonder if the person running the recorder in their car had ever thought about "what will I do if.....?" At the begining of the video, you see the earthquake hit as the driver is at a intersection. He/she made a left and went downhill. The road to the right and the road straight ahead both appeared to lead to higher ground. When I lived on Okinawa, I always knew which way to go to get to higher ground, lived on the 3rd floor at least and stayed away from ground floor apartments on reclaimed land. This is why I watch videos of disasters, so I can plan, ahead of time, a response for likely events. I am not knocking the person in the car. They may have never even thought about earthquake..may= tsunami, might have just continued the way they were going out of habit. I don't know, but their video gives me a chance to think "What would I do if...?" for which I am grateful. I hope the driver was okay and that Japan can get back on it's feet again soon.
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

User avatar
Vel454
* * *
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: NE Washington State
Contact:

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by Vel454 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 am

Benbrutal wrote:I wonder if the person running the recorder in their car had ever thought about "what will I do if.....?" At the begining of the video, you see the earthquake hit as the driver is at a intersection. He/she made a left and went downhill. The road to the right and the road straight ahead both appeared to lead to higher ground. When I lived on Okinawa, I always knew which way to go to get to higher ground, lived on the 3rd floor at least and stayed away from ground floor apartments on reclaimed land. This is why I watch videos of disasters, so I can plan, ahead of time, a response for likely events. I am not knocking the person in the car. They may have never even thought about earthquake..may= tsunami, might have just continued the way they were going out of habit. I don't know, but their video gives me a chance to think "What would I do if...?" for which I am grateful. I hope the driver was okay and that Japan can get back on it's feet again soon.
The lack of movement of the camera points to it being a dash-mounted cam, so he was probably a police officer. The lack of seeing him flail around in panic makes me consider that they may train to just stay in the car, which is what he did. People living in that type of area are fully aware of the likiehood of a tsunami, and with the assumption above that he was a police officer, I'd further that in guessing he was checking on any effects from the earthquake.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:48 am

I agree I think it is a dashcam on a LEO's car.

He was probably following orders to patrol. If that is case we would not be able to see if he stayed with the vehicle or fled. The camera would not show the passenger compartment. I sincerely hope he escaped to safety. The end did not look like the odds of survival were good.

User avatar
Vel454
* * *
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: NE Washington State
Contact:

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by Vel454 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:56 am

raptor wrote:I agree I think it is a dashcam on a LEO's car.

He was probably following orders to patrol. If that is case we would not be able to see if he stayed with the vehicle or fled. The camera would not show the passenger compartment. I sincerely hope he escaped to safety. The end did not look like the odds of survival were good.
I thought I heard an occassional voice though. o.O
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:59 am

Vel454 wrote:
raptor wrote:I agree I think it is a dashcam on a LEO's car.

He was probably following orders to patrol. If that is case we would not be able to see if he stayed with the vehicle or fled. The camera would not show the passenger compartment. I sincerely hope he escaped to safety. The end did not look like the odds of survival were good.
I thought I heard an occassional voice though. o.O

I honestly do not know. :D

User avatar
Foxen
* * *
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:23 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by Foxen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:55 am

Several years ago parts of our city was hit by a flash flood. I remember specifically two people from our school got hit by the flood waters. In both scenarios they stayed in their car.

The first guy was dropping students off at the dorm...his car was down a slope and he was driving back up. He was in an older BMW. According to his account the water just immediately came out of no where and surrounded his car. His car stalled and he wasn't able to go forward nor back. Then the water just started to rise... He was freaking out because he didn't really know what was going on...no warnings (radio), nothing. Within seconds the water was up to his roof, but fortunately the inside of the car was not flooding nearly as fast. After a few more moments the water subsided. In his instance, staying in the car for the flash flood probably saved his life as he wasn't washed away or anything. Unfortunately his car needed serious repairs.

During the same flood a wife of one of our classmates also got caught up in the same flood. She was on a major roadway more or less where the ground was fairly flat with a slight incline towards the mountains. If I recall she was not caught in the intersection but slightly off to one of the cross streets to the main road where the water came down from. I don't recall if her jeep stalled but apprently the car in the intersection got washed away. He survived but got pushed along for a ride.

Because these were flash floods the water levels dropped within moments after the initial torrent of water volume washed over the cars. For flash floods at least...staying in the car and waiting it out helped. Much better than getting washed away.

User avatar
T-Boon
* * *
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by T-Boon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:44 am

What would i do ?

Get on the ferry .... Duh ...


Image

Image

Yes, thats a full size ferry sitting on top of a 2+ story building.

Notice there are no power poles there either.

In that location your pretty much screwed.

In the video I would try nip over that median, then head away as fast as possible.

Failing that ... in/on a Building>climb biggest other thing I can find>stay in the car
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

User avatar
KnightoftheRoc
* * * * *
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:57 am

Foxen's post reminded me of an experience I had in Basic Training. We were on our bivouac, at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. There's precious little land out there that is actually flat, and NOT being used as a training range. Our location had us dug in and camped in a circle around a rather wide hill that was not too steep, with the company area in the center, in a clearing at the top. It was summer, and we got a summer thunder storm shortly after we had pitched the tents, and started on foxholes. Ours was about half dug, behind our tent, and facing the perimeter, with the tent opening facing the center. My buddy and I jumped into the tent to wait out the shower.

After a couple minutes, he asked me if it was really bad out, or what, so I peeked out the front of the now sealed tent opening- to see a 6 inch wall of water, leaves, twigs, etc. advancing down the hill at us, and fast! I turned to him, hollered "Grab your shit!" and started to scramble, gathering up whatever I could into my arms, and squatting on my inflated mattress, to keep our stuff out of the water when it go there.

SOP was to dig a trench around the tent, and a drain trench away from it. We must have gotten it right, because between the trench and the tent arrangement, no water came into the tent- we didn't even lose any stakes. However, our foxhole was now a swimming pool. I used my helmet to bail it out, and we continued digging in what was now a clay mud. Others laughed at our efforts, but when we had to hop into the foxhole later that night, I heard splashes and swearing from both sides of our location- we just had dirty boots.

I offer this flash from my past as an example of how fast weather can turn on you- I'd never experienced a flash flood before, only read about them, and while, in hindsight, this wasn't that big a deal, at the time it was impressive as hell, to me. This was on a hill- I'd hate to be in a gully, where all this water would have been concentrated. So, even on high ground, Mother Nature can take an extreme disliking to you, and really screw up your day.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

razi
* * * * *
Posts: 3967
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Re: Tsunami - Why You Want to be on High Ground

Post by razi » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Just to put the tsunami in an interesting bit of perspective, here is a coast guard boat riding it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdhfV-8d ... ure=relmfu
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”