Commentary: Dogs as security for your BIL

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Commentary: Dogs as security for your BIL

Post by nateted4 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Rev wrote:I figure if I'm there, I'll take care of the problem. If I'm not at home there is nothing worth killing/injuring someone for or endangering my dog.

So rarely I agree with you, but in this case a big plus one.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Rev wrote: A working dog is just a refinement of a dogs natural inclinations.
Yes.
A "guardian" dog, be it livestock, property, or individual is a working dog.
Not so much.

A working dog is one that is trained and tasked with a job.... and "bark like a motherfucker" is not a "job".

Agent

Post by Agent » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:32 am

I'm doing some work for a person that is taking care of a foster dog. It's a pit mix and looks mean, but is actually very well behaved. It is still very good at coming to the door at noises and will often give a bark that isn't threatening but is loud enough to be heard. It seems like a pretty ideal dog for some added home security, even if a dog for most people is primarily a companion. I'm still a cat person but my wife wants a dog eventually, and I'm coming around a little for the security benefits.
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:26 am

Suizen wrote:
Yes.
Not so much.

A working dog is one that is trained and tasked with a job.... and "bark like a motherfucker" is not a "job".
Guardian as in that is its purpose. My neighbors have livestock guardians for their goat herds. I am talking about dogs trained for a specific purpose.

For instance the hounds my father used to keep were working dogs first, and companions second.

EDIT: Let's see if we can't get my point across. Not all dogs are what I'd define as "Guardian dogs". Guardian dogs are not just naturally protective they're trained for and entire existence is for protection.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:53 am

DannusMaximus wrote:Get a dog because you want to love a dog, not because you think it adds to your preps. Any security bonus should be just that - - a bonus.
+ 1. Anyone who needs a genuine working dog probably already knows what a working dog is and already has one working around the farm. For the other 95% of us, a dog is a pet, and their natural paranoia of strange noises at the door or at night is a bonus to us. That said, I wouldn't count on my dog to guard the place when I'm gone. I would just hope that his bark is deterent enough. Any threat the dog makes me aware of by barking, I will respond to. The dog is no longer needed at that point and I wouldn't expect him to help me out in a fight.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 am

Anomic1 wrote:Zmace is probably a cat-lady

I work for a delivery company and go to about 500-1500 houses a week depending on the area. There are a lot of them (mostly in the sticks) that i can not get out of my vehicle at b/c of dogs. Your discovery channel burglar may be tough but when the dog is biting the window and snapping teeth i think he will move on.

As mentioned above in most situations the type of dog described above would be a liability but with a well bred dog and an experienced/willing to learn trainer a good middle ground between zmaces calico cat and an attack dog can be reached
Thanks for the quazi personal attack, and yes, I do have cats, in addition to this 95lb dog, shown here sporting his stylish pack:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Anomic1 wrote:
Zmace is probably a cat-lady
Personal attacks are not permitted or welcome in this forum.

Raptor

Anomic1

Post by Anomic1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:15 pm

Who said being a cat lady is a bad thing? I think raptor owes an apologie to millions of lonely old ladies...

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Hey, Cats will jack you up just as bad as a dog. Back in the day I dated a chick that had a Siamese. One night that thing ambushed me from the top of the refrigerator - airborne and howling Geronimo like death from above. Good God I thought a had a fucking bobcat on my head.

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm

I'd only count on a cat for home defense if it looked like this:

Anomic1

Post by Anomic1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Keep 20cats in the house and the smell alone will keepmzombies out; ask zmac

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Anomic1, check your PMs. Personal attacks are not permitted on these forums. Consider this an official warning.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Anomic1, you seem very sensitive about your dog (assuming you have one) being questioned as the ultimate "bad guy" deterrent.

You should really get some training with them, it will help your confidence. I've taken mine to a few obedience classes and some agility training as well, nothing as specialized as attack or guard training, but he will come, sit, stay etc. It will give you real peace of mind if you can be confident in what your dog will and will not do.

Anomic1

Post by Anomic1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:12 pm

I dont own a guard dog. Mine are hunting/hiking companions and are also useful alert dogs. I currently have a golden and have owned brittneys, gsp, and a lab. Goldens are my favorite because they are higly versatile hunting dogs especially with an experienced trainer.

I dont/wont own an attack dog (perhaps paw i would). And am not sensitive about it becuase i dot have one, just anyone claiming that any dog is not a deterent is wrong. And anyone claiming a trained guard dog isn a huge deterent/weapon is a delusional cat lady

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 pm

ei8htx wrote:I'd only count on a cat for home defense if it looked like this:
Wonder if we can fit those in Adam Wests Cat Launcher?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Anomic1 wrote: And anyone claiming a trained guard dog isn a huge deterent/weapon is a delusional cat lady
Anomic1 I suspect your time here will be very short. With apologies to the OP I am going to lock this thread and refer your comment to the Mods for review.

Edited to add:
This post has been unlocked after a discussion with the Mods. Stick to the subject at hand and no personal attacks.

stressrelief 28.5

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:18 pm

I live in the country and have Dobs and Boxers, I worry all the time about getting into trouble with these dogs.I cannot break them from slobbering on everyone that comes to visit.All jokes a side I have two Male Dobs that I only let loose when I am around.They have never bitten any one , but both have showed they would. Both times was when a stranger came here and didnt act right.I believe if they had tried to force their way in they would have had to deal with those dogs.As soon as I ran the person off I fixed them both treats.I feel they done the right thing and is the reason I have them here to begin with.I have no problem controling them and feel they might sometime give me that extra few seconds that I might need to get right.

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Post by CrackMunk » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:28 am

I have two dogs, a German Shepherd mix, and a Rott mix, they are my pets and that is all I ask of them, they bark when a unknown car pulls in the drive, or when deer come to the back fence. I did have a Rott-pit mix,(sadly gone) that we got from a friend that could not keep him. He had the basic commands, sit, stay..... well one night I was goofing with the kids and one jumped out and scared the crap out of me & I happened to yell "HELP!", well Bear, the rott-pit mix, came running and started to growl till he realized I was fine and not in danger, he was not trained to do this. He did on his own, and did constantly, would even get between me and my husband, even though he was his dog and followed him around everywhere. I do miss him dearly. He never bit anyone just growled and that was enough.
this is bear a few mo. before we had to put him down
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9016_n.jpg
this is Moses. we got him from the shelter. hes about 6mo
Bob my GS mix
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

Texas Rebel
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Texas Rebel » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:33 pm

I have 2 Pits that are great watch dogs and alert me to squirrels,birds,rabbits,and anything else that happens to come into my yard :mrgreen:
60 LBS. of terror

65 Lbs of worthless
“By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.”Benjamin Franklin
"Determine never to be idle.No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any.It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing."Thomas Jefferson

younggun85

Post by younggun85 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 pm

I have an american bulldog who does everything i'd expect him to and more when it comes to guarding the house. He barks at any thing that comes past the property line and sits between family and everyone else. When the girlfriend or myself are present he will go from chill to kill in no time if he feels there is a risk but will not bite unless given the OK. When I'm not home he still acts protective but is more bullish. My 240lb uncle (who the dog doesn't know) was confined to the entryway the day he came in my house without me. When he tried to step into the house he was rushed to the door and growled at but not bitten. To me that is the ideal reaction, no one in their right mind will push their luck with 110LBS of bully and if they do my sympathy is non existant. I love my dog.

scarnucci

Post by scarnucci » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:42 pm

I have five dogs, and while they do make a helluva racket when vehicles approach our homestead, I would not really rely on them for any serious defense of our property during a SHTF event.

Our dogs roam the property fairly regularly. They more or less know where I want them to go. They wear radio collars and I administer audio alerts when I want them to return to me. If they are stubborn they get hit with an electric shock as well as the audio alert. They've been learning pretty well.

Having said that, I give them a fair amount of freedom in where they go on the property. I do not, nor could I be expected to, monitor what every dog is doing every second they are out there.

Therefore, if anyone really wanted to breech my homestead's security, some ground beef meatballs with rat poison centers would probably be an effective neutralization of the canine threat.

My dogs will start to eat some of the nastiest shiat they dig up around here. Do you think you could stop your dog from eating something like that before you figured out what it was?

I guess in a SHTF environment, if several dogs drop over dead one day, you would probably increase your vigilance during night-time watches for a good while.

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Suizen wrote:
Yes.
Not so much.

This is why I keep working dogs. However, for the most part, a barking dog is a good deterrent/early warning system. Just don't expect your Jack-Russell Terrier to tear a Zed's arm off.
Even my working dogs will only go so far, despite having a protective nature. I prefer to keep them as assets in different fashions. For example, hunting, herding, tracking, pack-animal, early detection, etc.

P.S. I have a cat too, but he's a fat bastard that only waits to be fed every day
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"
I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

lostwithagps

Post by lostwithagps » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 am

dogs are just plain win. when i was growing up my grandparents had a dog that would go to the door if she heard someone just walking down the driveway, perfect pizzaboy alarm. lol. a right dog is better than an alarm system when your home imo. but to each their own

lostwithagps

Post by lostwithagps » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 am

[quote="Texas Rebel"]I have 2 Pits that are great watch dogs and alert me to squirrels,birds,rabbits,and anything else that happens to come into my yard :mrgreen:
60 LBS. of terror

a girl i knew growing up had dog that looked just like that

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”