Kerosene Heaters

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Kerosene Heaters

Post by Cymro » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm interested in acquiring one as a backup heat source for the house. Anyone have any recommendations as to brand or model? Any tips on how to use one most efficiently?
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

johndoe

Re: Kerosene Heaters

Post by johndoe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Out of curiousity, what made you decide on kerosene over propane?

Cymro

Post by Cymro » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Kerosene space heaters seem to be easier to find. That's about it.

Is there a good propane heater you'd recommend? I'd like to hear about it, as storing propane is a lot easier.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:29 pm

This one right here is a great unit: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200442151

I actually have the original kerosun 105 and it is awesome. This is a clone... This sucker will heat up my uninsulated 1 car garage very well.

I can give you a few reasons for kerosene over propane, although I have both now...

1. Fuel will store forever
2. Fuel containers and hoses don't ice up...
3. fuel can also be used in lamps, cooking, Etc.
4. simple design and construction that lasts forever.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:30 pm

The Mr. heater heater buddy is nice, I just got one.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

johndoe

Post by johndoe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Cymro wrote:Kerosene space heaters seem to be easier to find. That's about it.

Is there a good propane heater you'd recommend? I'd like to hear about it, as storing propane is a lot easier.

I've used those propane Mr. Heater Buddy and it seemed to work as advertised. I don't have a whole lot of experience with small portable propane units so I can't really give too much input one way or the other. I was mainly just wondering if kerosene had different properties making it more desirable.

johndoe

Post by johndoe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Dawgboy wrote: 1. Fuel will store forever
2. Fuel containers and hoses don't ice up...

Re: storage, how long is propane known to store for? I've had a propane torch for 6 years that I rarely use and broke it out last month and it fired right up. I'm not saying it will store forever--I just don't really know apart from that experience.

Re: fuel containers and hoses icing up, this isn't a problem with propane that I'm aware of. I'm a fulltime RVer and my heat and cooking all are propane. I have two 30lb propane cylinders on the front of my RV only covered by a plastic noninsulated cover and have had them in -20 weather and neither the hoses or tanks froze or iced. Now that I'm in my winter spot I rented a 250 gallon propane tank from the local propane company and it's sitting out in the snow about 10 feet from my RV. It's connected by a regular rubber hose that's just laying on the ground (currently under a foot of snow). It's hit the negative teens up here and I've yet to have a problem with ice or freezing, FWIW.

If I recall, though, propane freezes at something ridiculous like 300 below. I've heard that when tanks are overfilled regulators can freeze up, but with proper filling it shouldn't ever be an issue.

Cymro

Post by Cymro » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Propane is chemically stable, and as such will be good for the lifetime of the container in which it is stored.
Alphonse Allais

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Propane and kerosene heaters are generally not advised for heating of living spaces due to the fire and carbon monoxide risks.

Proceed carefully!

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

johndoe

Post by johndoe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 pm

mystic_1 wrote:Propane and kerosene heaters are generally not advised for heating of living spaces due to the fire and carbon monoxide risks.

Proceed carefully!

mystic_1

Nearly every RV on the market uses propane for heat.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Well for oil based heat, I would strongly recomment a 'direct vent' heater. Much safer.

This site has a lot of good info on these heaters, as does this site.

I have a 2200 - in the basement - it uses the 'fuel capsule' - a small tank, and provides back up heat. The house can get cool pretty quick at minus anything in the winter.

Local code forbids propane heater (or anything propane for that matter) in a basement area, or in an area with a basement or sump. I chose to not use a day tank outside - seeing that gravity works full time.

The only downside of the direct vent units is they require AC to run the fans. An inverter can supply that current, but the inverter needs to be able to supply a large amount of current on heater startup.

If you are heating a non-living space, a Yukon stove or an M-1950 oil burner may be worth looking at for the space. They use a 3 in vent pipe IIRC.

So-called portable heaters (not vented outside of the building) are death traps in far too many cases, so if you choose to use a portable heater, be very careful, and ask someone with experiance for tips and help in setting it up.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:11 pm

I have to add to this thread that if you use any kind of combustion heater, especially an unvented heater that you should have at least one fully functioning carbon monoxide alarm in or near the bedroom.

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:13 pm

johndoe wrote:
mystic_1 wrote:Propane and kerosene heaters are generally not advised for heating of living spaces due to the fire and carbon monoxide risks.

Proceed carefully!

mystic_1

Nearly every RV on the market uses propane for heat.
Someone always has to post a safety warning :roll:

Crymo, saw your post over on ARFCom SF. I'll post my reply here also. Personally I like the Kero-Sun brand of heaters.

Check out the spec sheet on it. The specs on that unit says approx 16hrs per gallon - normally they hold just below 2 gallons of fuel. I have a older version of a Kero-sun 1.8 gallons and I can get about 18hrs per tankfull, but I do NOT run it empty. I always refuel it when it gets down to 1/8th of a tank.

PLUS, only use undyed K-1 kerosene. Many places have a red dye added to it that drastically cuts the life of the wick and may make it smoke more. As always, spend the money and buy a battery operated CO detector and place it at knee height at least 6ft away from the heater. For the last 20 years we've run a kerosene heater during the coldest parts of the winter and have only had ONE problem - let it burn out empty causing the wick to smoke pretty bad. These and propane units aren't the light and walk away then only come back to refuel them type of item.

You might also want to check out brands from Kero-sun and this great info page of kerosene heaters.
Kerosene heater info http://www.milesstair.com/kero_heaters.html
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

riverjoe47
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??

Post by riverjoe47 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:24 pm

Cymro wrote:I'm interested in acquiring one as a backup heat source for the house. Anyone have any recommendations as to brand or model? Any tips on how to use one most efficiently?
Count on the quality of air to be compromised on any kerosene or propane heater without a vent . Myself I get headaches whenever I heated the barn with one . Finally I installed an earth stove (wood) and I like working out there better in the winter .
Do you have a drafty old farmhouse ? Then go for it . If your house is tightly insulated with newer windows Id go with a wall furnace .
You can still get the ones that require no electricity for about $650 .
The pilots generate the millivoltage necessary to open gas valve etc .
There is a chimney required but that's a good thing .
In an ice storm years ago I heated the house with my good old Williams that I installed in an unheated room adjacent the house for about 4 days . I had natural but a couple of hundred pound propane tanks ought to get you by for a month or so .
1 pound of propane = 22000 btu Small Williams wall furnace 25000 btu per hr . App 88 hrs of burn time per 100 pounder .

Here's another idea . Camper furnace requires 12 volt but only $450 and really easy to install .
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CGEQ8wIwBw#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”