Inspect Your Water Storage!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Inspect Your Water Storage!

Post by Cymro » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:20 pm

An old favorite game here at ZS used to be "Let's Learn from Cymro's Mistakes". I'd like to humble resurrect that as a teaching example.

I was going over my water storage today, when I noticed something. One of my Aquatainers (those cubical blue things) had cracked on the top front corner. Had it happened on a lower corner, it would have been a slow leak, which would have turned into a fast leak, which would have resulted in an ugly mess.

I got lucky, but when was the last time you inspected your storage containers?
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Sealegs

Re: Inspect Your Water Storage!

Post by Sealegs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Cymro wrote: I got lucky, but when was the last time you inspected your storage containers?
Umm, I'll be right back I just remembered something..
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:39 pm

I check for clarity every 6 months or so
The blue cubicles I just kinda keep an eye on the outside when i pass by.

Found out last winter not to stack them.

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Everyone makes the "stacking Aquatainers" mistake at least once.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Finch

Post by Finch » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:43 pm

when i lived in an apt and wasn't really that into preping i kept 2 of those 3 gallon jugs from the grocery store in my closit

when i moved out 2 years later they were bone dry and there was no sign of water damage. they must have slowly leaked into the floor (i was on the top floor mind you)
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

MaxRite

Post by MaxRite » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm paranoid enough to check my water storage once every few days. The memories of flooded basement are still fresh...
Image Image

gangsta99

Post by gangsta99 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:21 pm

My water storage is rotating about 14 cases of bottle water. I wouldn't mind doing something bigger but that isn't an option right now. I do have a couple of those WaterBobs ready to go just in case and live in an area that gets a lot of rain so I can collect water in that manner. I have plenty of supplies for filtering water so I should be good to go.
Mr. Rebates 3% eBay Cashback If you spend a bunch on eBay and other sites online sign up for Mr Rebates to earn 3% to 15% cashback on every purchase!!

MaxRite

Post by MaxRite » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:44 am

Speaking of WaterBobs - any way to reuse them? It looks like a terrible waste to trash it every time.
Image Image

JakkSchitt

Post by JakkSchitt » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:20 am

MaxRite wrote:Speaking of WaterBobs - any way to reuse them? It looks like a terrible waste to trash it every time.
I was wondering the same thing, it seems like such a waste. I was thinking of reusing one and just making sure the water is filtered through the Berkey before using for drinking/food prep.
Jakk
Abacus wrote: Good luck and welcome to Zombie Squad, don't fuck it up.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”