Bulk Rice

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

navarre1095

Bulk Rice

Post by navarre1095 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 pm

How long do you think that these will last in the original packaging? Since it's parboiled, that should take care of weevils and such correct?
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... ction=push" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WT4 Water Treatment license
DSL Distribution System (Large) license
ASO Industrial Waste Water license
NIMS 700

Long Term Water Treatment
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=51917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disaster Plan for Water Customers
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=50970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Bulk Rice

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm

I wouldn't make that assumption. I'd freeze it anyway just to be sure.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:32 pm

I must be doing something wrong, because I couldn't get it to show me a price...?
ODA 226 wrote:I wouldn't make that assumption. I'd freeze it anyway just to be sure.
Freezing and possibly repackaging might not be a bad idea.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 pm

I agree freeze it anyway. The other thing is that bugs can get into the rice in storage so unless you pack it well and displace the oxygen you are still at risk there. That said the boxes do make storage convenient and space saving.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:45 pm

Well, the folks at Utah State University had this to say about rice storage.

And believe me, they should know. Their extension services are some of the best in the US.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:32 am

TacAir wrote:Well, the folks at Utah State University had this to say about rice storage.

And believe me, they should know. Their extension services are some of the best in the US.

Great link! Thank you.

Some important points from this link:

Packaging. Store rice in a tightly sealed container. Food safe plastics (PETE) containers, glass jars, #10 cans (commercial size) lined with a food-grade enamel lining and Mylar®-type bags work best for long-term storage. Use food-safe oxygen absorbers [Bj5] available from food storage supply stores to preserve rice quality, and protect from insect infestation. #10 cans will hold approximate 5.7 lbs (2.6 kgs) of polished rice.

Storage Conditions. The best temperature to store grains, including rice, is 40°F or below; however, rice stored at a constant 70° F with oxygen absorbers will store well for up to 10 years. In cooler storage areas rice sealed in oxygen-free containers can be stored for up to 30 years. A B.Y.U. study sampling polished rice and parboiled rice stored from 1 to 30 years found that both types of rice will keep their nutrients and flavor up to 30 years.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:07 am

raptor wrote:
TacAir wrote:Well, the folks at Utah State University had this to say about rice storage.

Great link! Thank you.

Packaging. Store rice in a tightly sealed container. Food safe plastics (PETE) containers, glass jars, #10 cans (commercial size) lined with a food-grade enamel lining and Mylar®-type bags work best for long-term storage. Use food-safe oxygen absorbers [Bj5] available from food storage supply stores to preserve rice quality, and protect from insect infestation. #10 cans will hold approximate 5.7 lbs (2.6 kgs) of polished rice.

Storage Conditions. The best temperature to store grains, including rice, is 40°F or below; however, rice stored at a constant 70° F with oxygen absorbers will store well for up to 10 years. In cooler storage areas rice sealed in oxygen-free containers can be stored for up to 30 years. A B.Y.U. study sampling polished rice and parboiled rice stored from 1 to 30 years found that both types of rice will keep their nutrients and flavor up to 30 years.
The folks at USU know their shit, and - they post actual tests/outcomes and offer real deal advice. The cool part is their outreach program.

But for cheese -WSU Cougar Gold is da bomb! Hummmmmmmm aged chedder........
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Crex39
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Remake Dawn of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead.

Post by Crex39 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:12 am

My wife has been doing the Long term storage on rice, beans, and a few other items. The method she uses is pretty thourough:

1 Buy 50# bags of rice at Sam's or Costco

2 Insert mylar bag into food grade 5 gal bucket, fill with rice.

3 Throw in about 10 oxygen absorbers

4 Place the open end of the mylar bag around a broomstick or extension pole.

5 Use an iron to create an airtight seal

6 Place lid on bucket and move to storage area.

You can tell if the seal is good by the bag shrinking to the shape of the contents.
Life is tough wear a helmet. Of course kevlar woven gloves and sleeve protection help during the outbreak.

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm getting good results after several years with just freezing, allowing to come back to temperature, and the storing in an airtight container.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Given that the OP posted rice stored in a cardboard box with a plastic liner, I thought I'd chime in with the old "don't make my mistakes" routine. I'd be very concerned about rodents in this case. When you have had a rat tunnel into a box of MREs and eat every one of them, you don't make that mistake twice. I'd do it up right and use a food-grade plastic bucket, mylar bag, and oxygen absorbers. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Remember that this is an investment in your future, like an insurance policy.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:35 pm

raptor wrote:

Great link! Thank you.

/thread...

BTW, how do you polish rice? Those little suckers are hard to hold!! Brasso or just spit shine?

riverjoe47
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??

Post by riverjoe47 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Im wondering if I can use my old vacuum pump that I used for refrigeration . I would need a bucket or other sealable container to which I could afix a 1/4 inch flare fitting with a bicycle type valve . You could then charge container with nitrogen , argon or some other inert gas .
Probabley overkill .
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:56 pm

riverjoe47 wrote:Im wondering if I can use my old vacuum pump that I used for refrigeration . I would need a bucket or other sealable container to which I could afix a 1/4 inch flare fitting with a bicycle type valve . You could then charge container with nitrogen , argon or some other inert gas .
Probabley overkill .
Probably, but if you could do so economically (come up with a way of doing it that's cheaper than using O2 adsorbers), why not?

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”