Saw this on SurvivalBlog.com and thought it was worth a look

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bgnad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Saw this on SurvivalBlog.com and thought it was worth a look

Post by bgnad » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:32 pm

I read SurvivalBlog.com on a regular basis and a recent article lined up well with a question I was asked by a person new to preparation that I though it would be worth bringing it to peoples attention.

The fellow comes up with starting a 100 plan, then a 1,000 plan then a 10,000 plan as you're dedication and resources permit.

In a nut shell the 100 plan is;
100 cans of food that do not need cooked to eat
100 of the small bottles of water
100 rounds of ammo
100 silver dimes
100 $1 bills

He does miss some things (like the reporting requirements when you have 10,000 lbs of fuel or other chemicals on your land) and I do not endorse everything he says, but it does a good job of following the KISS rule.

In any case, take a look for yourself and form your own opinion.

Thank you for your attention.

Link is: From Beginning Prepper, to Fully-Stocked Retreat: What to Buy, and When, by Scott in Wisconsin
====================================================================================
Brian "Bubba" Gnad
Zombie Squad Fleet Vehicle ZS-069

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." -Benjamin Franklin

John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series is now my favorite Zombie PAW Universe.

JTNieman

Re: Saw this on SurvivalBlog.com and thought it was worth a

Post by JTNieman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:44 pm

Sounds like a great plan, because after all, you're going to die of heart disease or scurvy long before you run out of preps!
Food: Buy 100 cans of foods that are easy to eat, even right out of the can. Baked beans, Dinty Moore Stew, Corned Beef Hash, Spaghetti-os. Canned Spam will do the job, and lasts for 3-5 years. (Generic brands can cost half the price, so shop around.)
Throw in some cans of veggies that you like too. In a crunch, this 100 cans should feed you for over a month. Don't forget a can opener!
After reading his 'food' paragraph, I decided the rest wasn't worth it.

Over simplified, dangerous, and shallow.

However, for lulz:
Ammo: Buy a pistol, and practice with it regularly. Be sure to use a common caliber. I don't recommend 9mm, for lack of stopping power.
I bought a Hi-Point S&W40 semi-automatic pistol for $175, and with 100 rounds of Ammo you have the beginnings of home protection. It's the cheapest gun on the market, but it puts big holes in things I point at. Remember to replace your ammo when you practice! Wal-Mart has cheap ammo.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Water: Store 100 of those little pint (.5 liter) bottles of water. That gets you about 12-13 gallons, instantly available. If things fall apart, you'll want instant availability. This should get you almost a month in a pinch, when added to other liquids you have in the fridge and on the shelf.
It won't last a month. If our well gunks up and we need to conserve water, my family and I will use about 3 and a half gallons of water per day, not including flushing the toilet. It's better for me to have small bottles for drinking and large, five gallon bottles for washing.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:42 pm

I don't recommend 9mm, for lack of stopping power. I bought a Hi-Point S&W40 semi-automatic pistol for $175
How is a Hi Point also a S&W. And not to start a .40 vs 9mm war, but they're practically the same damn size, and it really depends on the ammo anyway (and the shooter before that); I've found quality 9mm ammo with better stats than most .40 and vice-versa. This is why I stay out of the firearms board. Ignorance.

I would put my *real* S&W 9mm automatic against a $175 Hi-point .40 anyday, hell I'd pick up my Bersa .380 before a $175 Hi-Point. Who uses pistols for self defense in the home anyway? Shotguns and rifles are superior in everyway.

I guess I'll say something nice, he at least has the idea right for starting out (eating an elephant) just pretty much everything he lists is out of proportion (1 bullet per can of food?).

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Bad advice. His food selection is terrible. Never mass store water in disposable bottles, they're not made to be stored.

First he says
Your goal should be to move as much of your liquid assets as you can into silver.
then
The final step is $10,000 in $1, $5, and $10 bills.

There is some good advice in the article, however I wouldn't recommend following it as a plan.
Last edited by WhoShotJR on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm

I didn't bother reading... but is there really a FINAL step when it comes to prepping?
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 pm

dukman wrote:I didn't bother reading... but is there really a FINAL step when it comes to prepping?
You nailed it - there is NO final step in prepping. It's always a continuous thing in motion or in evolution. Some might think that having a BOB loaded with Ramen noodles, a katadyn hiker and a Mora clipper is all they would need - then give it a couple of years and one may want to upgrade to something else. Heck, I've been doing this since Y2k days and I am no where near being near the final step of prepping.

I read that post and raised the total BS Flag on it early on - individual actually says to get SEED WHEAT... sorry, big loser button on that. SEED wheat (in MY parts at least) is considered treated with a fungicide - eating that will kill you DEAD. Never get any grains that have a purple or pink coloring to them - they've been treated to be used as "SEED"...
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Tonto wrote:
dukman wrote:I didn't bother reading... but is there really a FINAL step when it comes to prepping?
You nailed it - there is NO final step in prepping. It's always a continuous thing in motion or in evolution. Some might think that having a BOB loaded with Ramen noodles, a katadyn hiker and a Mora clipper is all they would need - then give it a couple of years and one may want to upgrade to something else. Heck, I've been doing this since Y2k days and I am no where near being near the final step of prepping.
Actually, yes, there is a final step in prepping. Actually two, but they're completely different paths.

Path One - Final Step: Having come into a windfall that has the word BILLION as a part of it, you have purchased an extremely large tract of land (measured in thousands of acres), had multiple construction companies come in from out of state, each developing a single piece of your compound, added in energy independence and storage, and you have become not only self sufficient on your food (and energy) production, but have a surplus you give to the local food bank or soup kitchen every so often. You have made a deal with the local tax man and are able to insure that you will never have to pay taxes on your property ever again (escrow, trust, whatever). Half of your remaining assets are in hard currency, and are cached both on and off of your primary property. You have now reached the end of prepping and can enjoy life (as long as you stay home).

Path Two - Final Step: With you having done everything possible to ensure you are prepared for every eventuality and your family and loved ones will be taken care of, your executor faithfully carries out the provisions of your last will and testament.

If it's not either of those things, then you're not done.

Ice
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

lonewolf15002000

Post by lonewolf15002000 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:45 pm

ei8htx wrote: How is a Hi Point also a S&W.
It is a Hi Point pistol that uses the 40 S&W cartridge, not all 40 pistols have to be made by S&W to use the 40 cartridge.
Lonewolf15002000
Semper Fidelis

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 pm

lonewolf15002000 wrote:It is a Hi Point pistol that uses the 40 S&W cartridge, not all 40 pistols have to be made by S&W to use the 40 cartridge.
Ah, now I see, while the other 99% of us just call it .40 cal

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:40 pm

Eh, hes not a gun guy. But he did his best & put together a better plan than mine (not much more than a bob yet)... The problem starts when he says follow me, this is how to do it! :lol:

marbhán marfóir
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead, 28 days later, resident evil series.

Post by marbhán marfóir » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 am

ei8htx wrote:
lonewolf15002000 wrote:It is a Hi Point pistol that uses the 40 S&W cartridge, not all 40 pistols have to be made by S&W to use the 40 cartridge.

the S&W in the .40 S&W actually stands for 40 Short & Weak. people couldn't handle 10mm so they reduced the charge and the case length. 10mm and .40 bullet castings are essentially one and the same (please correct this if I am wrong)
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
- Thomas Paine, from his essay “The Crisis”
I live in MN now, we dont have a chapter yet. so no more cool AZ ZS 18 banner. I can still take the heat though :-)

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:44 am

marbhán marfóir wrote:
ei8htx wrote:

the S&W in the .40 S&W actually stands for 40 Short & Weak. people couldn't handle 10mm so they reduced the charge and the case length. 10mm and .40 bullet castings are essentially one and the same (please correct this if I am wrong)
No lol, thats just a joke about the power of the caliber..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_S%26W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its .40 Smith and Wesson.
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:13 am

marbhán marfóir wrote:
ei8htx wrote:

so...hard...not...to...make...penis...joke...about...gun...size...

...ah what the hell, just uploaded it for you, ZS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5emdhAtlOI4

edit: ahh... stupid fox censorship...

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”