I need an honest assessment of my preparedness level.

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: I need an honest assessment of my preparedness level.

Post by raptor » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm

JamesCannon wrote:
raptor wrote:
DannusMaximus wrote: Regardless of the question, "Have more money set aside" is frequently the right answer, or at least a large part of it!
It is very rare that this is a wrong answer. In fact I have never run into a situation where this was a wrong answer.
The only time I've seen that be the wrong answer is when you use the money that was supposed to go to the tax man, to set aside.
As long as you have the money set aside and available to pay the tax, even the tax man is cool.

Getting back on topic. I think the OP has decided to leave this thread. I hope he sticks around and spends some time reading the Hall of Fame.

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:26 pm

CDI wrote:

As for training, I interned at a Police Station for 10 months when I was wanting to become a police officer but I found my true calling instead. NRA certified, taken a Tactical AR use course. Just tips and general knowledge ive picked up from some of the clients I deal with at work. Some of my close friends/co workers have been to Iraq and Afganistan and tend to share some useful tips.

Sweet! So you can; pour coffee for cops and file tickets, shoot an AR-15, and know how to cure boredom in the desert. Sounds like you're all set!
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:16 pm

raptor wrote:Getting back on topic. I think the OP has decided to leave this thread. I hope he sticks around and spends some time reading the Hall of Fame.

Wise person once told me to not ask questions that I don't want answers to. I think this may be a case of that, even though we can be a tad bit harsh and unforgiving at times
dani monster wrote:"Mom you do know that zombies aren't real, right?" "...You get Santa and the Easter Bunny. I get zombies. Eat your damned trail mix."
Standard disclaimer applies.

CDI
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow
28 Days Later

Post by CDI » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:39 pm

uncleben03 wrote:
CDI wrote:

Sweet! So you can; pour coffee for cops and file tickets, shoot an AR-15, and know how to cure boredom in the desert. Sounds like you're all set!
Thanks but I never poured coffee, I trained with the Massachusetts state police, NEMA and two towns during those 10 months. I got to wear the dog bite suit once! Helped catch speeders, mindless paperwork, some dispatch, did a lot with communications learning and also teaching with my knowledge of radios and what not, went shooting with them and just in general kinda hung out.

As for the rest of you, I think you all get hung up oh If I was to use an airsoft grenade launcher to defend myself from multiple pissed off people( if I had 250 metal bb's coming at me at 330 fps Plus I might think twice) So please don't jump the gun, I have a lot of real stuff that I know how to use extremely confidently I just don't care to list let alone show pictures of everything I have. Also like I stated some of my team members have seen combat, also most of them have their firearms licenses and know how to use them. For the people who don't like swords fencer's are scary, they always don't have to use those fencing swords. Someone with no training with a sword is a dangerous weapon but someone with training and skill is something Id never want to face as a Zombie, in a back alley or the woods. I am currently waiting for my CCW and C&R license but I am pretty good with any type of pistol, even smooth bore black powder.

I also think many of you have not really read to much of what I wrote and just jumped on the band wagon on being dicks instead of being informative. Though a lot of you have been informative and I thank you.

My boss is my most immediate member of my family within 1000 miles and lives 10 minutes away, he has a girlfriend from California(no family around here) and no kids. So I doubt he will have other issues to take care of. I see the guy every day, I shoot with him almost every week. We routinely talk about how if shit goes down anything I need is mine.

For power wise, realistically we could probably produce upwards of 70-80 KW a day Just with our M-PRES units also we use Tigo technology to pinch some more power, basically its a cheap computer that hooks up to each panel and increases efficiency by 7-15% percent. Possibly excess of 100KW a day with all of our stock. That can certainly be used as a barter token. Possibly charging peoples car batteries whom would hook them up to some wires at night to run a light or what ever they care to use. I am going to buy about 50 gallons of distilled water for the batterys. I have 10 gallons of it but want more. Lead Acid Batterys fluid levels go down and distilled water is an ideal filler. Also the diesel generators could be converted to run off of bio.

I saw someone mention my 20% to my preparing. To be honest I make a decent living, I have no debt, a lot of my savings were taken out when I suffered an accident last year but it's climbing and I am not worried about it. I also have some gold and silver and stamps if that means anything.

I saw another post talk about civil war reenactors. I'm going to one Saturday!! I love talking to them, their beards even contain wisdom.

I even saw another post someone said my radio gear might get confiscated. I have my poop together in that field. Thank you for your concern though.

I am prioritizing food and when I get out of work tomorrow I think I am going to go to BJ's and the discount shopping mart to get some stuff, I like what Old soldier said about making your own MRE's Within the next month I am going to try to build up a 2-3 month food supply for 5 people.

Medical supply's I have 2 large first aid kits but years of use have taken out a lot of the important stuff. My second priority is going to buy some medical supplies. I saw in another thread a link to Chinook.

Other than the negative stuff the positive stuff albeit small has been marginally helpful thank you.
Prepared

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:19 pm

CDI wrote:I also think many of you have not really read to much of what I wrote and just jumped on the band wagon on being dicks instead of being informative. Though a lot of you have been informative and I thank you.
Free advice for the environment here: Thick skin is a must. They/we can be like piranhas with even a hint of the scent of "mall ninja" or BS artist. If you can think of a job category, there's probably at least one here and they'll call "you" on bullshit faster than you can blink. The best way to combat getting butthurt is to be real and be realistic. There are a lot of people around here who are very serious about emergency preparedness and there is very little tolerance for those that aren't.

Don't feed the trolls. If you don't like something that someone says, ignore it and move on to the next post. Getting defensive is a sure way to get dog-piled.

Welcome to ZS. The status quo is little whacked, but the regulars are actually good people. There's a lot of solid info here, and there are a lot of people with a huge range of experience.

How much do those small power sets run? They look pretty damned neat.
dani monster wrote:"Mom you do know that zombies aren't real, right?" "...You get Santa and the Easter Bunny. I get zombies. Eat your damned trail mix."
Standard disclaimer applies.

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:51 pm

CDI wrote: I am prioritizing food and when I get out of work tomorrow I think I am going to go to BJ's and the discount shopping mart to get some stuff, I like what Old soldier said about making your own MRE's Within the next month I am going to try to build up a 2-3 month food supply for 5 people.

Medical supply's I have 2 large first aid kits but years of use have taken out a lot of the important stuff. My second priority is going to buy some medical supplies. I saw in another thread a link to Chinook.

Definitely going in the right direction there. Just make sure to keep your food rotated, replenish as you use it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:41 am

For the people who don't like swords fencer's are scary, they always don't have to use those fencing swords. Someone with no training with a sword is a dangerous weapon but someone with training and skill is something Id never want to face as a Zombie, in a back alley or the woods.
Is it just me or does anyone else have this image in their head?

It ain't the years, it is the mileage.
As for the rest of you, I think you all get hung up oh If I was to use an airsoft grenade launcher to defend myself from multiple pissed off people( if I had 250 metal bb's coming at me at 330 fps Plus I might think twice)
I suppose. Here is your problem. You are super unlikely to kill or maim anyone with this weapon. But you still could. So if you do... how do you justify using deadly force?

If it not worth using a real gun then you should not be taking a chance. If it is worth using a real gun then that is the tool you need. Always think of it in terms of what a jury of your peers might come up with.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:37 pm

If they're anything like the hundreds of fencers I've bumped into, they basically parry and evade until the guy steps into the right distance, at which point they tap the wired vest with a button hard enough for the buzzer to go off. Fencing itself is derived form a dueling form for rich pansies who never served a day in actual combat, who wanted to look cool and have a reason to carry the sword they paid too much for. The primary forms are from France and Italy...and what a wonderful record they have to show for it in every single war in the last few centuries. Even if you do switch to real steel, the weapons represented in most fencing forms are dueling weapons designed for drawing blood, not battle weapons for typical combat.

I'm not bashing it, I TEACH it...If you're going to claim something is something, it helps to have a solid grasp of it yourself with a competent knowledge of the history. The least you could do is explain your friend's weapon, rank, division, and experience with related weapons. You've had three fencers in this topic step up, but you're still pushing that your friend is apparently Connor Macleod without acknowledging our questions and opinions.

What next, defensive knife throwing?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:42 pm

CDI wrote:Other than the negative stuff the positive stuff albeit small has been marginally helpful thank you.
:?

Good to know that the advice being sent downrange by some of the forum regulars has made such an impact.

You haven't the least desire for an honest assessement. Like another poster noted, you're looking for kudos.

Well, here you go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXO3gKfOUN8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

fattycakes
Favorite Zombie Movies: Book of Eli. 28 Days Later, Chud, LILU!

Post by fattycakes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:39 am

You seem prepared enough. You might want to get some more food though. Someone probably already addressed this but Ill put it out there anyways, because it seems important. You seem to be relying on a lot of people for your bug out plan. You say you will get stuff from your boss and your air-soft friends and you will form a militia and keep the order. While I don't know you or these people and cannot say how they would react in a disaster or PAW I just want to point out some things.

1. People are unpredictable when its a life or death situation. Even best friends who you totally trust could turn out to kill you for a can of spam. I'm not saying you shouldn't trust or that you don't know your friends, but people will do ANYTHING to survive.

2. Food. its all about the food. And the water, but you seem to have lots of water where you are. Get more food. Learn about planting shit, raising animals for food. Maybe even trapping. or you could do what I do and overfeed your dog because that fat little fucker is gonna be my meal ticket for like 2 weeks. OK that was a joke. But my dog is overweight if it came down to it, i would probably eat my dog to survive.

3. Liqueur might be important in the PAW, but only to trade shit for. You should always be 100% mind/body/spirit when its life or death.

that is all for now.

whatgun

Post by whatgun » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:48 am

CDI

First of all, how are 3 letter names still available? props on that. Took me forever to pick a name.

Secondly, and please take this as a compliment as that is where its coming from (New prepper here). You have basically got what most of wanted before we got seriously thinking about prepping, and this forum. What i mean is the guys will razz you about it, But I don't think i would throw away anything you have if you decided to drop it off at my door.

What people are (admitting a little harsh and poorly) trying to tell you is that now your here, ZS, you've been introduced to the light. And you are going to look back after a year on this board and say, man my priorities were weird. I did.

Some people have said your biggest downfall at this point looks like food and I'm going to add water. So lets talk about food storage, how to start and how to do it in practice. There are some good threads on this you can look up too. Let decide a time frame we want to be prepared for. If its PAW, I'm sorry I'm going to make you pick a different time frame. Let's Pretend It's one month.

FOOD:
"Make sure to store what it you eat" Your going to hear that a lot and its true. So how do you do it. Well you need to find a way to rotate your rations. Example, Today I ate cereal with milk, Some gatorade and some crackers I snack on during the day, Can of soup for lunch and i think probably chicken + pasta for dinner. For this purpose lets assume i eat the same thing every day.

Cereal - So i think a box will do me for 2 weeks. So that means along with the one box i have open now, i need 2 boxes unopened on hand at all times. For me that means I need four. Heres why. I finish a box that im currently eating. go down to the pantry and grab another box (2 boxes so far). I look and see "Crap once i open this box, im down to my minimum of 2 unopened boxes." Time to buy more.

This is the same with my canned soup, Gatorade mix, crackers and pasta.

Now chicken. I dont mind canned chicken. When i say canned chicken i mean the stuff that is like tuna, not a whole chicken in a can. that stores for an ok timeframe and i can rotate it out.

For Milk, well gonna have to get creative. Powdered milk probably to fit the bill here. Rotate through camping is how i handle this kind of stuff.

Approach food in that manner and you'll be set in no time. Hope it helped.

WATER:
Ok, I suck at the water thing. While my goal is to install an inline water storage system, this is very susceptible to contamination. 55 gal Food grade drums might be best. Filters will work fine but eventually I'm going to get tired of hand pumping for my wife and I, so storage would be great.

Guns ammo etc. - I tend to standardize my calibers. Limit them to a handful. So for me thats .40, .454, and .223. ok .22lr but it only kinda counts. I reload, which is the single most efficient way to store ammo IMO. 22lr, I dont/cant reload it but its cheap enough to stock up on for small game. In a rifle it could suffice in self defense as well but obviously last option. Ok i skipped shotguns, but while i use some for HD, i dont know how often i would use for PAW/long term survival. I dont stock anything but competition shot, so hunting only really.

Lastly I would say, for me and I think others on this forum, Zombies are a metaphor for world or localized disaster. If your prepared for zombies, you have hurricanes, government downfall, coup, etc covered. I'm weary of people who honest to god believe zombies will exist.

Sorry for the long post, I'm sure ill add more later. Just some thoughts from a N00b. P.S. My paintball pants make great SHTF pants.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”