I need an honest assessment of my preparedness level.

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CDI
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow
28 Days Later

I need an honest assessment of my preparedness level.

Post by CDI » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:51 am

Ok I've been pretty paranoid my whole life. Im in my 20's now, Im currently waiting for my ccw and my c&r to come in and be processed though I do have a MA FID card. Since ive been about 15 and was really big into paintball and airsoft and started to meet more seemingly paranoid prepared people who have told me of coming things I have started to prepair. Whether its been people telling me of coups, invasions, disasters,zombies or any type of bad thing I've spent about 20% of my income in preparing for what ever may come.

I have the luck of working for the family business and my boss has a few side company's. One of them being a rental company and the other a communications company as well as a green energy company. The later involve lots of Govt and Municipality customers so in my day to day business operations im exposed to a part of the united states that well honestly knowing the holes in some infrastructure have made me even more paranoid and talking to hundreds of people a year in various Town and federal government and various state and federal agencies has made me even more so paranoid. I'm going to list a few things that I have and like I need to know what I need. Every one I talk to seem to tell me something different like I have to much or to little or not enough of this and that. I just moved into my first house, I make a half decent living so im not looking to spend all my spare cash. But from reading around and looking at a lot of the post on this forum of the past few days I feel kind of compelled to post this and ask since It seems like 99% of you seem to know exactly and then some on what you are talking about.

Power Wise I feel confident that I could live with electricity indefinably. I plan on living out the PAW with the utmost luxury and with my dvd collection.
At the Boss's house about 10 minutes from me we have several of our M-PRES units that produce 3600 and 2500 watts, a US airforce portable diesel airfield generator. Im not sure on the power output but I know he picked it up cheap and the guys start it up 2-3 times a year.
Also in the company's inventory are 2 medium duty diesel generators and one of those hand portable Honda ones. I do work in the office but im familiar with all the machines operating functions as when I was younger I worked as the company mechanics assistant.
Also theres around 1000-1500 gallons of propane stored a 100 Gallon gas tank and a 500 Gallon diesel tank and several pieces of machinery.

Access to a machine shop, welders and lots of tools.

Communications wise I have a setup of some old radios out of an avenger bomber and ww 2 warship. I can transmit and receive. I always have demo TAIT, ICOM, VERTEX and MOTOROLA radios on me and I can easily program them to anything I want at a moments notice I also have 60 feet of Rohn tower and a base with some old antennas and 1/4inch hard-line I could have set up in about 30-40 minutes, though in my towns its not doable. I don't want to get to much into what the company has in stock but with all the radio shit they got I figure they could set up a network to reach about 500 square miles theoretically. I also have a few Garmin Rhino gps radios.

Weapons Wise I really don't want to get into great detail aswell. But I fancy mosins, K98s, AR's and Yugoslavian Rifles. I also have a few flare guns. I have a 75 pound Bow, pepper spray,stun gun. I even bought one of those cheap Chinese made knifes cases 50 of them for 20$ as well as have some gerber blades Also a few .177 rugers and daisys.... air soft grenade launcher(id be more thinking population dispersion if the shtf and many peoples would be trying to harm me) As for ammo I got a decent amount of non milsurp Remington and winchester and what not, but as for milsurp the past few months ive depleted it to only a small size. Also in the past few months ive been training my former members of my airsoft and paintball team how to shoot in a proper fashion. Now thats for my milsurp, I almost never use the american made stuff. When I get my Christmas bonus im going to buy reloading stuff for .223, 8mm and 7.62x52r im feeling that my ammunition should be a B priority. As for .177 bb's I have about 20,000 and about 30,000 pellets of various types. Maybe 800 metal 6mm airsoft bb's and 4 grenades for the launcher I also have 5000 plastic bb's as well as about 400 12 gram co2's.

Defensive wise I have a German Flak Vest and a 90's US flak vest. A kevlar helmet, a paintball reff shield an east german and a werhmact m35 helmets. a lot of camouflage to at least wear something different every day. Also my house is located on a peninsula surrounded by rivers and a huge field. I know one of the guys who lives at the field that goes across the peninsula does ww2 reenactments and has some mg42s and a bar....id assume he would have some real 8mm. My house is also on a very steep hill and either you would need to walk up an easily defended 30 foot stair way or climb a 10 foot terrace wall. Also I can canoe to an Island that not many people know about thats across a lake and down a river and my friends and I built a decent sized lean to. If I had to go to my boss's house as a kid he let me build a 5 acre paintball field in the woods behind his house. I over did it and theres still a hand full of trenches, some cinder-block pill boxes and a few foxholes and convenient the neigh-boors put a barbed wire fence next to the longest trench :).

Water and food/ I have 10 gallons of distilled and 10 gallons of regular water. I have a well and a feet away from me a lake. I can take my house off the grid at a moments notice all I need is one of my MPRES's so if need be I could run the electric stove to boil water and my well has 2 filters. Food wise I Probably have enough food to last me and a few friends about 2 weeks @ 2 meals a day. Every time I go to a bargain store I pick up a few cheap canned items put them in a cupboard and forget about them until I have friends over and we get hungry at 3-4 in the am. I had a bunch of MRE's but camping a lot and sheer curiosity over some of the flavors have depleted them all. In my area theres decent amount of deer and turkeys and bass. My boss has a room and another pantry to store his food as well as as garden and a huge grape vine that produces a hell of a lot of grapes. The field near my house also yields blueberry, and lots of raspberry as well as wintergreen. It also doesnt hurt to have a bottle of rum a few bottles of wine and some absente in storage.

I also have a security system with a few day and night vision cameras hooked up to a dvr and separate tv.

Vehicles/ You might of seen that I have a hummer, thats my off roader. If I need distance I have a hybrid Camry, I could mad max out my 75 cutlass and an 83 Eldorado Though both are in storage. I have a gator, 3 wheeler, snowmobile for auxiliary an electric scooter that can get about 2 miles out of a charge and crappy mountain bike. If your familiar with hummers I honestly wouldn't expect this to last 3-4 years after the PAW Even though it could be converted to run on bio or pretty much any type of oil it is a giant piece of shit never buy one they cost about 2$ a mile to drive. I was thinking a nice diesel ram 3500 or new Tundra but those would be a around 5 years away realistically.

My Experience is limited to about 14 years of paintball and airsoft, though I did "general" a few large scenarios with a decent win record and write a few games. I don't feel at all confident compared to a trained unit or what not but I think I might be above average for the average untrained guy. I've been shooting since I was 6 or 7 and earned a bunch of first air and that stuff in boy scouts. a lot of my post high-school education is based toward law enforcement and civil service but I like my job more so I never decided to become an officer. I'm not sure how I would fair with treating a big wound but I gave a friend of mine 5 stitches on a camping trip and the doctors didn't say it was great but not bad and really clean!! Also im one of those people who believes that dicking around in the woods is one of my main talents.

Various stuff that I have that I feel would be useful. I have a generation 1 Night Owl Mono-scope. Its semi decent, Ive used it to follow deer at night just for the hell of it though. A surefire, 2 green 30mw lasers an HD helmet cam to document it all, a spotter scope a pair of snow shoes and a semi grasp of common sense. For bio and chem I have a hazmat suit I took from work and a few French gas mask. A wet suit and duct tape. I also have some shovels and an electric chainsaw. I think in my shed I might have some barbed wire a fence post hole digger as well so if I needed to fence off my self completely I think I could do a half ass'd job in 4 hours or so and use some trees for fence post.

What I would like to do ind a PAW/ZOMBIE/Complete collapse of the government situation would be to have all my Ex airsoft and paintball team mates and good friends form a 3 Based defense. One at my boss's house two at my house and three at my friends house. Though I do live in the most anti gun state in the country most of my friends have FID's and one or two firearms and a few of them have bows and cross bows and swords, in which they could defend them self with to make it to me. Most of them have bug out bags to some degree and could arrive at my door ready to do something within 30 minutes. My paranoia has rubbed off to some degree I think. Basically we live in a small town, lots of people have firearms and our police force have AR's and what not....even a black m113 apc.....they are more paranoid then me. But if I could get a few people who have a basic understanding of tactics and what not to do my bidding I feel as though we could almost keep the status quo not to a big extent but in terms of normality I feel as though regardless of how bad it gets as long as their is some sort of order whether its government provided or civilian things will remain somewhat intact. As for me I always carry food and water and first aid in my car and I always have my work suitcase and back pack always packed encase im called out of town and my camping back is always packed and stocked with gross dehydrated food and I think I even have a day pack set up with some Sterno and water and blanket and what not. Though my plan is to 99% bug in Live off the land and lakes use the available land for farms.

I need to know if im on the right track or if ive just over did it or if im under equipped. I feel as though my weakness is my personal food source then vehicle then ammo. As for firearms I feel confident only ammo for one of my guns is becoming almost unfordable. Then medical supplies I have a few camping first aid kits but not much more. Im no gardener but I have some eggplant and tomatoe seeds, Any advice on how to make seeds last a long time, and what vegetable can be grown and harvested the fastest. I basically want to ensure my survival in the worst case's possible and again this seems like the right place to ask. So let me know, thank you very much.
Prepared

Electricity

Re: I need an honest assessment of my preparedness level.

Post by Electricity » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:08 am

Based on your ramblings I bet with very little research I could pinpoint EXACTLY where in Massachusetts your house is..
Just sayin.
Also, it sounds like you're on the right track, but you aren't there yet. Does your boss know you plan on relying heavily on his preps?
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:10 am

Wow lot of things seem a bit off in here I'll quote the ones that bother me.
Ok I've been pretty paranoid my whole life
Err why? I think a lot of self sufficient and prepping types AREN'T paranoid. You don't have to be the screwball who lives in his basement with cases of MRE's terrified of the outside world. You need to get out and experience the world a bit imo, especially from what you say later and keep referring to this paranoid thing.
But if I could get a few people who have a basic understanding of tactics and what not to do my bidding I feel as though
And how are you going to get them to do your bidding? Force? What makes you think you are a leader?
gross dehydrated food
Why are you buying stuff you won't eat?
Though my plan is to 99% bug in Live off the land and lakes use the available land for farms.
This is a bit of a fantasy as you later state you know bugger all about farming...Also do you own that land or are you planning to steal it?

I think you should take a step back and read this thread: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=66661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*ninja edit*
maybe you're confusing paranoid with concerned hence my statement on it...
Man is a beast of prey

CDI
28 Days Later

Post by CDI » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:44 am

Well Find where I live google maps doesn't hide anything even though that is kinda awkward if you do.
My boss is heavily aware that I would show up there if shtf. Since I practically run most of the day to day operations and it is family, its a safe bet im safe, I also have a conex box in his yard to store some stuff.

I am paranoid probably because I just am. From all the people I work with, Government people say things that will just scare the shit out of you. Especially if you realized that over 50% of the nations emergency systems are relying on aged technology. For instance we did one job where we replaced the infrastructure for fireboxes and the city was using 1920's equipment. For the richest country in the world things like that scare me. Also I have experienced the a lot of the world. I am on the road about 3 months of the year all over the country, sometimes out of country for work and also for pleasure. Just because im paranoid it doesn't keep me barricaded in my house afraid to talk to people.

Also I remain confident that the 10 or so people who were on my paintball and airsoft team for almost a decade will follow me, Ive always been the captain of the team and they have always preformed swimmingly.

I am honestly not worried about the land, my best friends family owns it :). I walk there almost every day before work and snowmobile it in winter.

As for the gross food why wouldn't i buy dehydrated food its lighter, more efficient, easy to cook and a lot of it will contain necessary calories. I'm picky ill eat it but I wont like it. During the PAW I would like to remain as comfortable and well fed as possible. I believe it would be worth it to do that.

As for farming my knowledge of it comes from my few friends who went to an agricultural school, I have no problem picking berries and grapes but in the long run id like to be able make stuff like eggplant parm and fried zucchini and bread when the cities are burned lol.
Prepared

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:38 am

Sp many things FEEL off with this post. 14 years in paintball and your in your early 20's ? But whatever, depending on the boss and his equipment, not likely - when society truly collapse and shit hits the fan if your not family your taking away from family and that's not likely to last. Generators ? Have ya got years and years of fuel stored ? Better to go solar it's cheaper in the long run and your less likely to run out of fuel. Bringing in a bunch of people, pick ones you'll be less upset about taking your authority away from ya. Way to many studies have been done over the years to prove that in stressful prolonged situations people turn on each other. Buy gardening books, turn your basement into a bomb shelter and store food. Turning a bunch of friends into a wee army and bunkering them on your property is just a fast way of getting taken out by one of your own. Best to be self sufficient and unnoticed till things get better. So many things wrong with this post, your sure your over 18 ? This just sounds like some of the teens wish list stuff we get here a lot. If not don't take it personally and stick around and read.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:52 am

CDI wrote:A bunch of assumptions.
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
Man is a beast of prey

CDI
28 Days Later

Post by CDI » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:56 am

bonanacrom wrote:Sp many things FEEL off with this post. 14 years in paintball and your in your early 20's ? But whatever, depending on the boss and his equipment, not likely - when society truly collapse and shit hits the fan if your not family your taking away from family and that's not likely to last. Generators ? Have ya got years and years of fuel stored ? Better to go solar it's cheaper in the long run and your less likely to run out of fuel. Bringing in a bunch of people, pick ones you'll be less upset about taking your authority away from ya. Way to many studies have been done over the years to prove that in stressful prolonged situations people turn on each other. Buy gardening books, turn your basement into a bomb shelter and store food. Turning a bunch of friends into a wee army and bunkering them on your property is just a fast way of getting taken out by one of your own. Best to be self sufficient and unnoticed till things get better. So many things wrong with this post, your sure your over 18 ? This just sounds like some of the teens wish list stuff we get here a lot. If not don't take it personally and stick around and read.
Im 24 and started paint-balling when I was 10...I owned a team, ran games was even a product tester and what not, it was my paintball career that bought me some of the stuff I have today.
Maybe I didn't make it clear or your misread but I'm employed by a solar company. Electricity I have noting to doubt with power production. I explained that theres a 500 gallon tank, that obviously will not last, but working for a solar company might help as stated. Also having invented a device called an Multi Purpose Portable Renewable Energy Source. Indefinite power. Also turning my friends into a "wee army" Im not the type to be a lone wolf, strength in numbers. I doubt someone ive known for close to 20 years would just up and kill me, very unlikely. So tell me what else is wrong if theres so much?
Prepared

CDI
28 Days Later

Post by CDI » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:13 am

the_alias wrote:
also I never said that so why would you miss quote me?
Prepared

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:29 am

I said don't take anything to heart. If your asking if your on the right track then yes your going in the right direction. If you have what you say and the land then you can get to the goal you want. Putting to much trust in people is never good, they maybe your long time friends but people do really stupid things in bad situations, just saying. - the younger ya are the more trust you have in friends. My advise is book stores, gardening, off grid living, hunting and trapping and so on and so on. Knowledge is power, the more you learn about what you want the more see what you need. The truth is if the government loses control and or society collapse then being overlooked and staying unseen is your best bet at surviving.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:40 am

I thought I was paranoid. :D No, your not and neither am I. I think, just by reading this, you have too wide of a cast. I think you need less gear or should I say gear more specific to what you need. You stated at least 6 vehicles, how many can you drive at once? Americans tend to be gear heavy, training light. I believe you may be too focused on gear rather than training. It almost seems like your getting a ton of gear with an expectation that you alone can protect it all. Maybe this is just my impression.

Edit: In before Jeriah replies with a 'novel' response. :lol:
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:44 am

CDI wrote:
the_alias wrote:
Err I saw no where in your post you had hard fast agreements with these people. Rather assumptions, just because they are your best friends family. What if they want to use it? Same with your team, you THINK they would but are you sure, is it a real agreement or are you assuming they will?

Also having invented a device called an Multi Purpose Portable Renewable Energy Source. Indefinite power.
Oh yeah? What is it?
Man is a beast of prey

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:45 am

CDI wrote:
the_alias wrote:
Very Important PAW Skill: A thicker skin. The intent is to condense and introduce humor.
And since you asked, here a few direct quotes that stood out (I stopped after awhile):
im feeling that my ammunition should be a B priority.
This seems wiser than over-doing it. I agree.
Since ive been about 15 and was really big into paintball and airsoft and started to meet more seemingly paranoid prepared people who have told me of coming things I have started to prepair. Whether its been people telling me of coups, invasions, disasters,zombies or any type of bad thing I've spent about 20% of my income in preparing for what ever may come.
Every one I talk to seem to tell me something different like I have to much or to little or not enough of this and that.
That’s normal life. You will not grow and thrive in a situation where everyone tells you the same thing, especially if that same thing is only what you want to hear.
Nothing wrong with preparing or in allocating 20% of one’s income if no other responsibilities are being dropped.
I plan on living out the PAW with the utmost luxury and with my dvd collection.
I also have a few flare guns.
As for .177 bb's I have about 20,000 and about 30,000 pellets of various types. Maybe 800 metal 6mm airsoft bb's and 4 grenades for the launcher I also have 5000 plastic bb's as well as about 400 12 gram co2's.
a lot of camouflage to at least wear something different every day.
Everyone lives their own lives and extrapolates their own vision of a PAW from it. It seems that your vision will add some potentially useful diversity to the forum. :)
Also in the past few months ive been training my former members of my airsoft and paintball team how to shoot in a proper fashion.
Defensive wise I have a German Flak Vest and a 90's US flak vest. A kevlar helmet, a paintball reff shield an east german and a werhmact m35 helmets.
I over did it and theres still a hand full of trenches, some cinder-block pill boxes and a few foxholes and convenient the neigh-boors put a barbed wire fence next to the longest trench .
And you were trained how? Some of us might worry that you are being too over-confident, tactics-wise. Example: I don't recommend cinder-blocks for cover from metallic projectiles.
I can take my house off the grid at a moments notice all I need is one of my MPRES's so if need be I could run the electric stove to boil water and my well has 2 filters.
Many think of electric heat as an enormously inefficient use of self-produced power. Just how many KWs are you generating on a daily basis?
I've been shooting since I was 6 or 7 and earned a bunch of first air and that stuff in boy scouts. a lot of my post high-school education is based toward law enforcement and civil service but I like my job more so I never decided to become an officer.
I'll end it here: Invest time and attention in improving your first aid knowledge. Increase your food stores in methodical, non-tactical ways. Use spell check. Since so much of your preps rely on others, be very steady and consistent in staying on their good side and remaining useful to them. It seems that people skills are going to be essential in your situation - maybe use ZS as a place to practice them?
Welcome to ZS.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

CDI
28 Days Later

Post by CDI » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:58 am

the_alias wrote:
CDI wrote:
the_alias wrote:
Err I saw no where in your post you had hard fast agreements with these people. Rather assumptions, just because they are your best friends family. What if they want to use it? Same with your team, you THINK they would but are you sure, is it a real agreement or are you assuming they will?

It really isnt any of your business but I can use the field enough said.
Also having invented a device called an Multi Purpose Portable Renewable Energy Source. Indefinite power.
Oh yeah? What is it?
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 39&t=70499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a little information on it 2 units produce 3600 and 2500 watts. I could easily increase that by adding some batterys and panels.

As for training, I interned at a Police Station for 10 months when I was wanting to become a police officer but I found my true calling instead. NRA certified, taken a Tactical AR use course. Just tips and general knowledge ive picked up from some of the clients I deal with at work. Some of my close friends/co workers have been to Iraq and Afganistan and tend to share some useful tips.
Prepared

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:04 am

A couple of touchpoints from me too-first, expecting to live off the land is futile, unless you own a farm. People put FAR too much weight on living off the land-its not that easy. If you WERE to do it-simply living off the land, and not planning ahead-you are looking at about 18 hours a day foraging-and, THOUSANDS of others will be doing the same thing. If you hunt on a regular basis, you have a SMALL advantage-if you have never hunted before, learning to do it when you NEED to is not the time to figure it out. You dont simply wander into the woods, and walk out with a deer. In fact, you will likely be eating rodents, crows, pigeons-small animals, as opposed to big game. As for veggies-well, its great to have an idea of what to eat, and there are quite a few excellent foraging books out these days. That being said....eating wild flora is an exercise in patience. Our bodies react differently to certain natural chemicals found in wild plants. You may, or may not, be able to digest-and, you have to do an edibility test for almost everything, which requires 24 hours, where you cannot eat, or drink, anything (if done properly). On top of that, foraging requires a LOT of said plant-hours of gathering, on a daily basis. Look at early nomadic people here in America-they wandered all over the place-they had to, as their food source quickly diminished. And, they lived in small communities-there's a balance between what you can forage/hunt, and what the wilds can provide. The natives had it figured out pretty well-small, mobile communities, with enough people to make foraging a good way to gather food, as opposed to cultivating (it hadnt been introduced yet), and not too many mouths to feed.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:06 am

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 39&t=70499
a little information on it 2 units produce 3600 and 2500 watts. I could easily increase that by adding some batterys and panels.
Interesting, hadn't seen that, thanks for sharing!
Man is a beast of prey

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:16 am

CDI wrote:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 39&t=70499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for training, I interned at a Police Station for 10 months when I was wanting to become a police officer but I found my true calling instead. NRA certified, taken a Tactical AR use course. Just tips and general knowledge ive picked up from some of the clients I deal with at work. Some of my close friends/co workers have been to Iraq and Afganistan and tend to share some useful tips.
Training courses are your best bet-you can hear all the stories you want (dont take that the wrong way), but it doesnt compare to first hand knowledge. 14 years of paintball/airsoft doesnt compare to professional training-doesnt hold a candle to it. The main reasons are, first, you can quit, or opt not to go, at ANY time. Second, the military does an excellent job at recreating situations that look/feel dangerous, or realistic, and, no matter how hard you try, it simply cannot be duplicated in the civvie world (or, not by weekenders, anyway).
My one pet peeve with weekend warriors is that they seem to think that they know tactics, by reading a manual, and playing together on weekends. It doesnt work that way-many of us have put a LOT of work into being a soldier-blood, sweat, and tears (usually of laughter)-and it simply cannot be duplicated while playing airsoft. Yes, you get a little rush. But, when you work with the same team, for a few years, there comes a point where everything just clicks. Everyone knows their job-and any situation that comes up, you know your boys will do what they do best. Its hard to explain, but when you have a good team, little gets said, until after the fact, because EVERYONE is doing what they are supposed to, when they are supposed to. This is the result of years of training together. And a trust you will never get being a civilian (PD & FD likely get the same level of trust, but I have never been either of those as a civilian).
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:24 am

It was said above, but bears repeating. If you're planning on relying on your boss's preps, I'd check with him or her first. Or even better, don't.

You sound pretty deficient in the food area. I'd shoot for at least a month's worth of food for yourself and anyone for whom you're planning on being responsible.
CDI wrote:
What I would like to do ind a PAW/ZOMBIE/Complete collapse of the government situation would be to have all my Ex airsoft and paintball team mates and good friends form a 3 Based defense. One at my boss's house two at my house and three at my friends house. Though I do live in the most anti gun state in the country most of my friends have FID's and one or two firearms and a few of them have bows and cross bows and swords, in which they could defend them self with to make it to me.
Dude. :(
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 am

Honest assessment? Is this some sort of joke?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:31 am

I like where this is going.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

CDI
28 Days Later

Post by CDI » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:53 am

@ oldsoldier, ive been hunting with both rifle and bow since Ive been a kid I'm pretty competent in that field, I also spend a lot of my spare time out fishing. Also im not trying to sound like that guy but I never claimed airsoft or paintball to be the real deal, I just feel that with all those years of knowledge and basic tactical knowledge it gives me a leg up on the average individual with absolutely no training. Paintball and Airsoft were not a weekend hobby for myself or my team, we traveled the country, did matches invested many months of training over many years to become very close knit. Also my team does consist of a few active duty service members and their experience brings some stuff to the table. Came in handy during 2004 One of the guys on my team sent me a few Iraqi BDUs, during his deployment.

@kevlar I have full permission to use all the all the company's assets at my boss's house, I store a good amount of property on his property its cool, hes family there will never be an issue on if I can use anything or land at anytime. edit also, I don't see how it would be bad for people who are experienced with archery or fencing to not use their weapons effectively.

@murph no this is not a joke
Prepared

Brother Bill
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them.

Post by Brother Bill » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:19 am

Sounds to me like all gear no skill. It's good to have your food preps and you should have med preps as well. Don't rely on what you think your friends will do. Make a plan then get them all to prep with you. Have your team in place before you need them. Don't think that just because you are a paintball general your a good provider for others. Get your skill base while your preping. Learn how to build a fire without a bic or matches. Not just one way but many ways. Learn to build a shelter without 2x4s and hammer. Learn to hunt and trap. Take an EMT course. All the high tech gear in the world won't save you if you don't have the skills to survive on your own. At 24 your still talking like your a mall ninja not a preper. I'm sure when that group of biker zombies comes to take your food women and life they'll be happy to see that your well dressed to die. Work your skills and forget about being some Mad Max general.
If this post hurt your feelings then your in no way ready to lead others. Learn how to do before you expect to lead others.
Not all that wander are lost.

CDI
28 Days Later

Post by CDI » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 am

Brother Bill wrote:Sounds to me like all gear no skill. It's good to have your food preps and you should have med preps as well. Don't rely on what you think your friends will do. Make a plan then get them all to prep with you. Have your team in place before you need them. Don't think that just because you are a paintball general your a good provider for others. Get your skill base while your preping. Learn how to build a fire without a bic or matches. Not just one way but many ways. Learn to build a shelter without 2x4s and hammer. Learn to hunt and trap. Take an EMT course. All the high tech gear in the world won't save you if you don't have the skills to survive on your own. At 24 your still talking like your a mall ninja not a preper. I'm sure when that group of biker zombies comes to take your food women and life they'll be happy to see that your well dressed to die. Work your skills and forget about being some Mad Max general.
If this post hurt your feelings then your in no way ready to lead others. Learn how to do before you expect to lead others.

Well your post doesn't hurt your from the internet, for your information I could make a fire with my glass's, a battery, flint I consider myself a pyro. I can build a shelter without 2x4s and a hammer and I have a nice lean 2 set up on an island that I use for my leisure. I already explained that I can hunt, but I can also make a semi decent snare. As for my team everyone lives with in 10 minutes of me, thats faster then a lot of police departments can respond. I made it to eagle scout in the boy scouts and spent a lot of time doing survival weekends, my favorite ones were using only what we could put in a nalgene bottle. Also I've hiked a good portion of the NH Appalachian Trail and I try to go back woods camping every few months. I really should take an EMT course but my busy work schedule wont allow it into my time frame and I need to get some more quick clot, and obviously some more food. Im not trying to be a mad max general, just seems like simple common sense, If I have my living friends with me that will increase morale keep life as normal as humanly possible. Im sure when the biker zombies come Id be rather excited because we could get some nice harleys!!!, Do i need to explain in every little detail what I have done in my life to be prepared down to a T to you people lol. I can go on, just because I am not in the Military it seems like a lot of people will instantly discredit anything ive learned as complete utter hogwash.
Prepared

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:09 am

CDI wrote: Do i need to explain in every little detail what I have done in my life to be prepared down to a T to you people lol.
Wait...what was the thread title again? Oh, yeah: "I need an honest assessment of my preparedness level."

Hmm. :? Oh, I get it now. :idea:

Way to go, man! You're so far ahead of me and anyone I've ever heard of. Forget what I said earlier about food. Airsoft and swords kick ass! :twisted:
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

CDI
28 Days Later

Post by CDI » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:16 am

Kelvar wrote:
CDI wrote: Do i need to explain in every little detail what I have done in my life to be prepared down to a T to you people lol.
Wait...what was the thread title again? Oh, yeah: "I need an honest assessment of my preparedness level."

Hmm. :? Oh, I get it now. :idea:

Way to go, man! You're so far ahead of me and anyone I've ever heard of. Forget what I said earlier about food. Airsoft and swords kick ass! :twisted:

One of my buddys fences' im not sure if your familiar with fenceing its not some fat kid with a broad sword and an anthrax tshirt its someone that could actually do damage...this is a zombie forum right?, some undead thing wandering at him at a walking pace id say he would have a field day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; theres a little info.

Maybe I should Also include that I train US soldiers on how to use the M-PRES line overseas, been to Haiti and Peru to help out after some earthquakes with the M-PRES.....I never said I was far ahead of anyone thats in the military or law enforcement. So there is absolutely no need to even speak like that.
Prepared

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”